Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

In fairness, That's not an official UPC date astro.

A poster said that an engineering said.....

UPC Brian said the end of March which is a more believable time frame in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

Gargamello wrote: »
    Also as I said the other day raise the issue on twitter (@UPCIreland) and/or facebook with UPC.
    The more people that raise this issue publicly the better.
    Thanks.

This is the reply I got yesterday from the UPC section on Boards .ie. If there's an upgrade on the way, the people in the office don't know about it.

BTW no refund offered.

"Our techs are in your area today working on this issue. Apologies for any inconvenience caused by it recently.

We don't have a release date for higher than 30Mb speeds at present. If this changes, we'll certainly let customers know.

Thanks,
    Sarah"

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gargamello

wardie214 wrote: »
    This is the reply I got yesterday from the UPC section on Boards .ie. If there's an upgrade on the way, the people in the office don't know about it.

BTW no refund offered.

"Our techs are in your area today working on this issue. Apologies for any inconvenience caused by it recently.

We don't have a release date for higher than 30Mb speeds at present. If this changes, we'll certainly let customers know.

Thanks,
    Sarah"

They're not going to offer you a refund, you'll have to demand one. I did and got 2 weeks.
    I think we should be more concerned with the complete lack of service rather than the possibility of an upgrade at some future point. Luckily I don't work from home at the moment, it must be a complete night mare for some people. Broadband isn't a luxury, it is an absolute requirement for people and small businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

LEIN wrote: »
    In fairness, That's not an official UPC date astro.

A poster said that an engineering said.....

UPC Brian said the end of March which is a more believable time frame in my view.

It's amazing how the mind works sometimes, you get one piece of positive information, then a more ideal piece of information is offered causing you to completely forget the original one! So end of March, fingers crossed!

FWIW, I got the price change letter this week and there is a 6euro increase, I was hopeing to be able to bargain them with Horizon and their other services we currently don't get. I'll run out of 21 days before that happens unfortunately.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    It's amazing how the mind works sometimes, you get one piece of positive information, then a more ideal piece of information is offered causing you to completely forget the original one! So end of March, fingers crossed!

FWIW, I got the price change letter this week and there is a 6euro increase, I was hopeing to be able to bargain them with Horizon and their other services we currently don't get. I'll run out of 21 days before that happens unfortunately.

lol

My time is up tomorrow as I got same letter at the beginning of this month. I have UPC Brian's post as a get out clause. Making false promises during the price change 30 day contract get out of jail free card won't be looked on favourably in a court room.

• Advertisement

3337967015.png
    no complaint today - everything running smoothly...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

This is the reply I got from UPC when I queried as to when the upgrade will kick in.....

"Our engineers are indeed working on the fault which you've seen has caused slower than normal speeds and drops in connection. This is a priority fault and works are ongoing for this. We hope to have it resolved ASAP.

Once the fault has been fixed we also hope to have the full range of services made available very shortly after this, while there are no set dates on this due to the fault which is our top priority the upgrade should be very soon after that point.

Thanks, Brian. "

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

Astrofluff, I called them last week & said I couldn't understand their price structure ie. MMDS customers paying far in excess of Cable Customers for a a far inferior service. I was put through to their Loyalty Team & was swiftly given a €20.50 per month reduction from €102.50 per month to €82.00 per month for Digital Max/2 additional boxes/Anytime World Phone/30mb Broadband. She even threw in a new box with Pause/Rewind/Record facility for good measure. Definitely worth the call but the flip side is that you're tying yourself into another 12 mth contract which, given the level of service at the moment, isn't necessarily very appealing!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Im getting a pretty steady 8 mb which is against a 25mb plan. Not the worst result but not as good as it could be. Maybe ill pay the "up to" €40 a month. ... don't think I'll get a better result from any other providers though.

3337967015.png
    no complaint today - everything running smoothly...

I'm starting to wonder if it's just my equipment now....

3338696158.png

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

I'm starting to wonder if it's just my equipment now....

3338696158.png

It's not your equipment mate.... Our local ping has gone bonkers again

I think there is huge demand on the network in the evenings. Maybe plenty of people opting for On-Demand content through streaming of Netflix and the like. Charlesland network has limited capacity using a microwave link. On my router it says there are 8 channels downstream with 1 channel upstream. Download speed is about 1/10th while upload is almost half. I reckon there's a lot got to do with comsumer demand.
    3339041477.png

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Here's mine:

3339130179.png

Maybe the Thomson router helps.

Hopefully enough people sign on for Eircom to make them take notice. Money talks...

Maybe less people on a strained system would help those who remain with UPC for the time being?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Maybe less people on a strained system would help those who remain with UPC for the time being?

For what its worth I'd say they will update to fibre pretty soon. I doubt certified reps would say so in a public domain if it wasn't the case.

Mine is between 15 to 20Mb since early morning. I doubt the network was congested at 07:30 on a Saturday morning.

UPC van in the Wood at the moment.

I'd say it's just a house call on a Saturday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

Speeds back to normal

3343791293.png

this is 10% of what I actually signed for (I know they say 'up to') but this is real joke. Reality is if I would know it will be like that i will rather choose other BB provider, likely I am leaving them at the end of this month, that means you will get nearly 3Mbps upload to share (between other 200 happy UPC customers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

How strange. Five minutes after your test I got this:

3343800854.png

and that's using WiFI

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

3343800854.png

and that's using WiFI

...looks like they likes you more than me, I have Cisco 3925 in bridge mode with DDWRT Buffalo router, what hardware are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Cisco EPC2425. I have bridging disabled.

I see that there are blue arrows spray painted onto the new tarmac covering the recently installed duct. I can't remember seeing them before.

Again they seem pointless to me but it could be a sign of work to come?

That's a mankey ping.

3345911979.png

3343800854.png

and that's using WiFI

It's up and down. I got a speed of 32Mb last week, done another test 3 minutes later and it struggled to make 2Mb. I doubt that's down to congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

I received an update call today from UPC to say Fibre connection and upgrades will now not be completed until last week in March at the earliest due to complications. So we may have broadband problems for a few more weeks.

lakeroad wrote: »
    I received an update call today from UPC to say Fibre connection and upgrades will now not be completed until last week in March at the earliest due to complications. So we may have broadband problems for a few more weeks.

To be fair, that was the official line from the reps here. UPC Brian posted a couple of pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

To be fair, that was the official line from the reps here. UPC Brian posted a couple of pages back.

I'm just happy that I'm getting regular phone updates from UPC Tech support. Roll on the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

i also had a call from UPC Complaints Team today confirming the above, i particularly noted they said they hope to have it finished in the coming weeks which could potentially mean more downtime (and they also pointed out the T&C's has clauses to cover "providing the best service they can" = there might be some downtime).

i was, however, given a credit on my account as a goodwill gesture and the direct dial number to speak with this lady again if there were any more problems. so i would strongly recommend that anyone else experiencing ongoing issues call UPC directly and make a formal complaint (you get a number) as they do seem to be making a real effort to keep their customers (she said I was the third complaint she was dealing with in Charlesland today).

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Johnny K

Im in Charlesland too and I made a complaint with UPC last week and asked if there is any sign of an upgrade as I would be cancelling my contract this week due to their price increase. They said they would note this on my account for someone to contact. However yesterday when I phoned to cancel the contract the lady on the lines tone when I wouldn't stay with them when she offerred me my contract price. They don't seem that bothered in keeping customers. BTW signed up with eircom. To be installed 2 weeks yay no more Netflix/you tube buffering.

• Advertisement

I seen some railway staff working on the line where the UPC duct located about 20 minutes ago.

Advertisement