Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Alun wrote: »
    I'm not complaining ... :D
    fdvbxe.jpg

Post reported for trolling... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Alun wrote: »
    I'm not complaining ... :D
    fdvbxe.jpg

#Jealous :o

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

LEIN wrote: »
    #Jealous :o

Well, considering the f€**er nearly has a higher upload speed than I do download, then yes... I'm jealous too...

JanneG wrote: »
    Well, considering the f€**er nearly has a higher upload speed than I do download, then yes... I'm jealous too...

I have faith that the upgrade is coming and we will have an option for that speed.

Not as good tonight as previous nights.

UPC%20Ireland%20Speed%20Test.png

• Advertisement

Banta wrote: »
    I understand that with the promise of what's to come that there's a few of you holding out for the upgrades to happen. I think I remember your good self LEIN saying that a couple of pages back.

But given the lack of consistency and regular poor service, and the often erratic customer service people seemed to have received over the years, what makes you think any of it is going to get any better once the upgrade happens? (There's not even a date on when that will be!) Is there any faith that when the upgrade happens that the service will be better and more consistent? (Both the BB etc. and the Customer service!)

I'm not having a go here at all, I'm more curious. I was all on for helping a friend in Charlesland sign up to UPC a few weeks back, and I thought the packages and offers looked really good - there was a hint of jealousy on my part, I must admit. There was a technical hitch at the time which prevented her signing up a couple of weeks ago, and then I was reading this thread and I honestly thought "Well thank God for that technical hitch! The service sounds awful!"

So yeah, I'm not having a go... I guess I'm looking for a bit of reassurance or something from you regular customers that I shouldn't over look UPC in the future. If that makes sense.

Appreciate any replies!

Service when cabled will be a world of difference. The issues seen here over the past few months would not be applicable as it will be a cable service and not part wireless.

Customer care has improved under UPC, NTL were horrendous. It can take some time to get through to tech support but it's a free call to 1908 and if you don't have time like me they have talk to UPC here, Facebook and twitter with good folk that will help in a timely manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ok so here's the latest I have gleaned from the UPC guys working on the roadside:

Today the Sierra crowd were doing the repairs for inadequate tarmac finish along the cycle lane and footpath. I take it that UPC have a bond held until they have reinstated the road surface to an acceptable standard.

UPC engineer said they are currently pulling fibre for Charlesland. I have yet to see any activity in Greystones and this may mean they are pulling the fibre on the railway line all the way from Bray. If anyone here regularly takes the train; is there any activity on the Dart line from Bray at present?

Timeframe stated by UPC engineer?: The fibre routing to Charlesland will be completed in full within two weeks.

When will additional services be available?: The full suite of digital services will be available in April.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

astrofluff wrote: »
    Ok so here's the latest I have gleaned from the UPC guys working on the roadside:

Today the Sierra crowd were doing the repairs for inadequate tarmac finish along the cycle lane and footpath. I take it that UPC have a bond held until they have reinstated the road surface to an acceptable standard.

UPC engineer said they are currently pulling fibre for Charlesland. I have yet to see any activity in Greystones and this may mean they are pulling the fibre on the railway line all the way from Bray. If anyone here regularly takes the train; is there any activity on the Dart line from Bray at present?

there's already fibre along the railway line - its owned by BT afaik but I'd imagine UPC are leasing a pair off them rather than pulling new fibre (which would be a big job and I think BT have an exclusive deal with Irish Rail anyway)

I hear what you're saying. How long would such an exclusive deal last though? And how long till fibre deteriorates until it needs replacing?! There'll always be a get-out clause in any contract too. If it's an exclusive deal, it'll be UPC paying off whoever it is (BT) to get out of contract - not sure if Vodafone would appreciate that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I hear what you're saying. How long would such an exclusive deal last though? And how long till fibre deteriorates until it needs replacing?!

good question - Google suggests somewhere between 25 and 40 years, but its unlikely to be allowed to get to that stage - fibre from the 80s is being removed and replaced with higher density cables

There'll always be a get-out clause in any contract too. If it's an exclusive deal, it'll be UPC paying off whoever it is (BT) to get out of contract - not sure if Vodafone would appreciate that!

BT own the fibre - they lease it to other companies on long-term deals ("dark-fibre"). ESB do similar with their overhead fibre network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

As of 11:33am 14-3-13

should be a 30MB service

Charlesland park Area

3370015831.png

I'm getting about 20 atm.

@ Astro, no obvious work on the train line between Greystones and Bray.

I can't tell if there was any more work around the duct area today.

All I've seen regarding the ductwork is yesterday's patch repairing of the red-coloured and blacktop tarmac cuttings - no action at all today. It could very well be that their contract with WCC does not allow for pulling of cable until the road is adequately repaired (the bond may be pittens to UPC!).

As for speed, not too shabby at this time of evening! Let's just hope that the TV holds up for the first proper TV weekend since November...;)
    3370904143.png

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

I see the network is a mess again...

I started to complain about this on the first of Feb. It's now the 16th of March, 6 weeks later and STILL we have packet loss all over the place. UPC have you no shame at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

Same old here ;)

3375226948.png

Kruk wrote: »
    Same old here ;)

3375226948.png

Mine is consistently between 20 and 30, bizarre..

3375238091.png

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

Mine is fine too for last week almost always at 30Mb/s

3375261348.png

My modem is the only equipment connected to my line, only one 'modem safe' 2,2dB splitter between modem and 'White box' outside home.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

LEIN wrote: »
    Mine is consistently between 20 and 30, bizarre..

3375238091.png

It seems they like people in Park more than those in Crescent :D

I'm in the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nightrave

All stable at Charlesland Park as well. But still no sign of the Fibre upgrade

3376619589.png

• Advertisement

The broadband has been a little erratic this afternoon. Some pages taking a while to load.

3381676702.png
    3381681335.png

I seen 2 separate UPC vans around the area today. Might have been maintenance.

3381797114.png

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

The broadband has been a little erratic this afternoon. Some pages taking a while to load.

3381676702.png
    3381681335.png

Would that be anything to do with packet loss..?

Looks like there's a router having major problems... 100% packet loss.

Standard stuff for such poor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Drweavil wrote: »
    Looks like there's a router having major problems... 100% packet loss.

Standard stuff for such poor service.

Or just not responding to icmp requests?

Doubtful, generally routers aren't configured to be that smart. Their primary function is routing traffic so adding a layer of security over your network only adds complexity and slows it down. If you're going to block icmp then you'd do it on a firewall. Plus you'd also see a bang X or bang H in a trace route (!X,!H) showing that it's a rule violation rather than a fault.

While blocking icmp is common practice on firewalls, I don't see it as the problem this time.

I was working off wireless earlier, but posted the same info on Talk To forum. UPC:Brian asked to redo the test on a wired connection - all seems to be good now. But because it's a few hours later now, I can't be sure if there really was a problem back at around 4pm today. @Damo, when did you see the UPC guys today?

One around Lunch (12:30) in Charlesland and the other at 14:30 near Aldi.

ok thanks, can't think why they'd be near Aldi unless they were working on a one-off house with MMDS TV only...

• Advertisement

ok thanks, can't think why they'd be near Aldi unless they were working on a one-off house with MMDS TV only...

Sorry, I should have been more clear. He was on the move when I seen him at Aldi. Coming from the direction of the Shoreline roundabout.

Advertisement