Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

Robertr wrote: »
    Anyone in Charlesland getting close to normal speeds on UPC at the moment. I have an engineer coming on Monday as mine is very bad at the moment. Supposed to be a 30Mb line but only getting 3-4 when wired to the modem.

Latest test from UPC website:

Download Speed: 3621 kbps (452.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 3092 kbps (386.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 15 ms
    Jitter: 24 ms
    14/2/2014 17:53

Just interested is anyone else in the estate is getting good speeds at the moment?

Thanks.

Exact same situation with us Robertr. Very similar speeds as you also.

Just spoke with them and after all the checks they could run, the speed barely improved. Have someone booked in for Friday, would he interested to hear how you get on tomorrow also!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Newcomers1 wrote: »
    Exact same situation with us Robertr. Very similar speeds as you also.

Just spoke with them and after all the checks they could run, the speed barely improved. Have someone booked in for Friday, would he interested to hear how you get on tomorrow also!

Same here too, in Eden Gate. Averaging 1.5Mb on speedtest.net last night, about 3Mb just now. Since so many of us here are having the same problem, surely it's a bigger cause? If everyone gets an engineer to drop in, they'll run out of engineers soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Specific to your house, other people in Charlesland getting good speeds suggest not an area issue but something localised.

If all the people having issues are localised to one area of the the estate it would help to narrow it down but if it random across the estate then it sounds like individual cabling and or modem issues.

Just as a matter of interest and I'm not being smart, are you getting the 30Mb down we all used to be able to get?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Add me to those getting crap service from UPC broadband since the storm. Or, those who have randomly damaged modems/indoor cables.

3309860804.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ckc

Me too:
    3309941332.png

• Advertisement

3309950536.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

astrofluff wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest and I'm not being smart, are you getting the 30Mb down we all used to be able to get?

I'm not in Charlesland anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Quite sad when the upload speeds are better than the download speeds...

3310277941.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32 itoro

i know this is a upc thread but my efibre is down from 50Mb/s to hovering around 1Mb too.
    Anyone know of a larger issue going on?
    738046203.png

itoro wrote: »
    i know this is a upc thread but my efibre is down from 50Mb/s to hovering around 1Mb too.
    Anyone know of a larger issue going on?
    738046203.png

Seeing as it's over the wireless, it could be down to someone next door or so that have installed a new router or some other device that is causing disturbances to your connection.

Try with a laptop or computer connected directly to your modem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Gargamello

eko wrote: »
    Same here too, in Eden Gate. Averaging 1.5Mb on speedtest.net last night, about 3Mb just now. Since so many of us here are having the same problem, surely it's a bigger cause? If everyone gets an engineer to drop in, they'll run out of engineers soon. :)

I'm in Eden Gate and I'm posting this using 3G as my broadband is too slow to use at the moment.
    It has been on and off and up and down for the last few weeks but it's probably the worst it's been today.
    I just rang UPC and had to insist that it was not my wireless etc. Having told them of the various posts here they finally said they would log it as a potential area problem but still are sending out an engineer to my home.

While it is a pain (circa 15 minutes) to get through I think the more that call and insist that this is an area issue rather than down to a single connection problem the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 itoro

JanneG wrote: »
    Seeing as it's over the wireless, it could be down to someone next door or so that have installed a new router or some other device that is causing disturbances to your connection.

Try with a laptop or computer connected directly to your modem...

im getting the same on ethernet...where i previously got about 44Mb consitently...ive just noticed people posting of severe slowdowns the past couple of days and wondering is there a node down somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

3310627742.png

It has been like this for days.

LEIN wrote: »
    3310627742.png

It has been like this for days.

At least you have a better speed down than up...

JanneG wrote: »
    At least you have a better speed down than up...

lol true...

I suppose but it's still 25 less than what I'm paying for. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Virgin Media: Brian

Hi All,

Thanks for getting in touch. We've read your feedback and apologies for the current transmittance you're experiencing on our broadband service. We've identified the cause of the problem which relates to damage caused by the recent storm and we're currently working with our engineers to rectify the situation. This will be actioned in a matter of days.

Furthermore, we will be installing a new fibre connection at Charlesland which we expect will be competed by early March. This will enhance your overall broadband speeds and customer experience.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Thanks Brian. Can you clarify what you mean about the new fibre connection? Does that mean the estate will no longer be served by MMDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

"Furthermore, we will be installing a new fibre connection at Charlesland which we expect will be competed by early March. This will enhance your overall broadband speeds and customer experience"

Are we talking about been upgraded so we can receive Horizon and 120M Broadband?

If eircom efiber is rolled out before UPC i'll be switching. A lot of people are considering the switch aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Just had the engineer out who told me about the problem impacting everyone. Also told me about the role out of the fibre which he said would be connecting us to the Dublin network and would include Horizon and up to 150Mb...

...I wont hold my breath!

UPC: Brian wrote: »

Furthermore, we will be installing a new fibre connection at Charlesland which we expect will be competed by early March. This will enhance your overall broadband speeds and customer experience.

Thanks.

Thanks Brian for reviewing the problem and confirming storm damage to equipment.

I take it the new fibre connection confirms my original assumption on their plans to hard wire a fibre connection with ducting all the way up the road to the railway line!

@Robertr: the infrastructure to complete it is almost there...they just new to run the fibre in the ductwork. And as Loyatemu states, UPC might be leasing a fibre line from BT's line on the railway.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

Hi All,

Thanks for getting in touch. We've read your feedback and apologies for the current transmittance you're experiencing on our broadband service. We've identified the cause of the problem which relates to damage caused by the recent storm and we're currently working with our engineers to rectify the situation. This will be actioned in a matter of days.

Thanks.

Thank you Brian for the answer. What is the ETA for the fix? Please ask your network technicians for the estimate and respond. Also, can you post details on how we can all ask for the refund we're due. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Virgin Media: Brian

Drweavil wrote: »
    Thank you Brian for the answer. What is the ETA for the fix? Please ask your network technicians for the estimate and respond. Also, can you post details on how we can all ask for the refund we're due. Thanks.

Hi Drweavil,

We don't have an exact time frame for this but it is being worked on as we speak. If you'd like to PM UPC: Reps with your account details we can review the billing.

In regards to the upgrade works, this is also in progress at the moment and we hope this will allow for access to all our current range of speeds and services.

If there are any further questions of queries we can be found on our Talk To forum here: http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

Thanks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

Hi Drweavil,

We don't have an exact time frame for this but it is being worked on as we speak. If you'd like to PM UPC: Reps with your account details we can review the billing.

In regards to the upgrade works, this is also in progress at the moment and we hope this will allow for access to all our current range of speeds and services.

If there are any further questions of queries we can be found on our Talk To forum here: http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

Thanks.

Thanks again Brian, it's much appreciated to get quick feedback.

I completely understand that you can't give me an exact time, I'm just looking for an estimate.

Are we talking tomorrow, mid-week or the weekend? I work from home a lot and need to be able to plan. If I had a reasonable idea of what to expect, it would make life for me and everyone else a lot easier and improve your customer satisfaction too.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Was there a planned upgrade map once upon a time?

there was a map but long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nummus

Any know if the upgrade is coming to Eden Gate ?

I would say you'll get what Charlesland gets as both developments are connected to the MMDS feed.

nummus wrote: »
    Any know if the upgrade is coming to Eden Gate ?

As far as I know, you guys are hooked up from Charlesland. I'd reckon you will see the benefits of a Charlesland upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nummus

LEIN wrote: »
    As far as I know, you guys are hooked up from Charlesland. I'd reckon you will see the benefits of a Charlesland upgrade.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

hopefully the additional capacity on the fibre link will mean that the old Greystones system will eventually be upgraded as well, but I won't be holding my breath.

Advertisement