Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Techy_1

seems to be back up now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Yep, back up and getting this:

3319886378.png

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Still not near full speed though.

3319900241.png

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

3319904681.png

Several tests on different sites and I'm averaging 15Mb.

Astro will you do another test to see if you got a fluke?

• Advertisement

If you guys could just stop using the internet for a minute then maybe I'll get back the 4Mb extra speed: :p

3319918238.png

3319940749.png

I'll do a modem reset....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Has anyone noticed an improvement during peak time?

This is head melt.

3320331413.png

• Advertisement

There were no improvements today. The BB is quick during off peak, I have 30mb early in the morning, 1-2 mbs at peak. What are they playing at?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

had a play around with this today, id be quite concerned with your local packet loss and latency. The fact your getting packet loss to your router alone suggests issues with your router, cabling or computer. before troubleshooting any further you should get these addressed.

I would expect 0 packet loss and 1-2ms latency on your first two hops.

you've bigger problems than WAN issues and i suspect when they fix the core network issues you will still experience problems.

Improvements today and the packet loss is diminished. You can see from the attachment that both my inner and outer ports on my router have completely calmed down now too.

This was always a problem that was going to be solved by investigating Layer 4 of the OSI model, the transport layer, that's where packet loss occurs and it explains the fact that ping was nearly always successful but Trace Routes showed a mess. I also explained the intermittent nature of the problem and explains why streaming (using Twitch.tv or BBC digital radio) was clipped and whole sentences were garbled with non-existent video for Twitch.

I don't agree that my router needs to be changed, I've never felt there was enough evidence, that wasn't negated by the larger picture, to suggest that I had a Layer 1 issue with my local router.

A definitive answer can only be given once the problem is fully fixed.

It's a shame that UPC don't feel that a simple overview of the OSI model and how it can be used by someone with very little training can be used by their first and second line support. They'd save themselves an absolute fortune and have a huge jump in customer satisfaction. Their behaviour is the essence of obtuse imo.

The issue is clearly still not fixed, but at the moment it is better for me at least. I'll do some further checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rokyard

A couple of days before all the outages due to the storm started I did a simple test. From my laptop using a wireless connection I ran a speed test 5 times and got 17Mb connection consistently. I then connected the same laptop to the router through a cat5 Ethernet cable. And performed the same speed test 5 times. I consistently got 30Mb connection. Enough said. If you are using speed test.net over a wireless connection you are not guaranteed your full speed. (I appreciate that not all wireless connections are born equal. But in the main it holds true)

Just something to consider .......

Rokyard wrote: »
    A couple of days before all the outages due to the storm started I did a simple test. From my laptop using a wireless connection I ran a speed test 5 times and got 17Mb connection consistently. I then connected the same laptop to the router through a cat5 Ethernet cable. And performed the same speed test 5 times. I consistently got 30Mb connection. Enough said. If you are using speed test.net over a wireless connection you are not guaranteed your full speed. (I appreciate that not all wireless connections are born equal. But in the main it holds true)

Just something to consider .......

If you're on a 50mb line you need to have a wifi router that is designed for 802.11g or 802.11n to get the full whack so .... yeah I guess, if you're not careful, you can get caught out.

So if you have the same router for a few years now, it could be something to look at as an older router could be responsible throttling your Wifi.

Well I got the new Thomson router, have both Wifi and wired, off peak is 20+, peak is 1-2 Mb and all since that storm. Looking at the UPC facebook page there seems to be a fair few fault areas around Dublin.

Its not acceptable to up prices, not fix a service over a week after a fault, not communicate this fault to your customers except on an internet forum with some vague assurances.

doccy wrote: »
    Well I got the new Thomson router, .

Ahh ya should be grand then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Drweavil wrote: »
    If you're on a 50mb line you need to have a wifi router that is designed for 802.11g or 802.11n to get the full whack so .... yeah I guess, if you're not careful, you can get caught out.

So if you have the same router for a few years now, it could be something to look at as an older router could be responsible throttling your Wifi.
    Also depends on your distance to the router and what else is going on in the channel you're using. You may have 124mb wifi but might only being connected at 1-2mb

Generally they just fail, they don't get progressively slower unless they overheat (cisco box is prone to overheating). A reboot fixes that fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Drweavil wrote: »
    Improvements today and the packet loss is diminished. You can see from the attachment that both my inner and outer ports on my router have completely calmed down now too.

This was always a problem that was going to be solved by investigating Layer 4 of the OSI model, the transport layer, that's where packet loss occurs and it explains the fact that ping was nearly always successful but Trace Routes showed a mess. I also explained the intermittent nature of the problem and explains why streaming (using Twitch.tv or BBC digital radio) was clipped and whole sentences were garbled with non-existent video for Twitch.

I don't agree that my router needs to be changed, I've never felt there was enough evidence, that wasn't negated by the larger picture, to suggest that I had a Layer 1 issue with my local router.

A definitive answer can only be given once the problem is fully fixed.

It's a shame that UPC don't feel that a simple overview of the OSI model and how it can be used by someone with very little training can be used by their first and second line support. They'd save themselves an absolute fortune and have a huge jump in customer satisfaction. Their behaviour is the essence of obtuse imo.
    You're still losing a massive amount of of
    Packets on your second hop. Is be at them for a replacement router IMO. Doesn't matter how much you spout on about layer 4 traffic issues across their network when they're beginning at your router. You've been having issues prior to the major outage which points at something localised.

No doubt there's wide scale problems at the moment but I still think you've a local problem.

Don't forget your layer 4 problems are likely being caused by something on layer 1 or 2.

3320602038.png

Doesn't look great at this time of day on wifi... :(

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    3320602038.png

Doesn't look great at this time of day on wifi... :(

Couldn't agree more mine is even marginally worse right now. Half of nothing is still nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gargamello

Are all you guys opening tickets with tech support?

Gargamello wrote: »
    Are all you guys opening tickets with tech support?

Will ring tomorrow to complain .. seeing as their website has crashed.

I've already hassled them by phone but I don't get far with the UPC techs. 'Talk to Brian' seems to be giving more info than the standard help desk guys. I've added to Audreyp's thread http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057152111

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Its gone on too long, the support service is garbage..

A price increase for the lack of service...?

I dont know about anybody else but Im changing service provider as soon as...

Utter Sh!te UPC...!!!:mad:

and it's gone again. I'm getting real tired of this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

LEIN wrote: »
    Yep

Is it gone again today?? working from home is becoming a nightmare with the flaky service :(

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

eleMental wrote: »
    Is it gone again today?? working from home is becoming a nightmare with the flaky service :(

On hold now for almost 20 minutes just to even talk to someone in their customer support. This is laughable.

Phone is working but BB is not.

• Advertisement

eleMental wrote: »

Yep. Its gone. I tweeted them publicly and DM'd account details and they responded very quickly that they'll investigate. But others in Delgany tweeted back they are having same outage. My wife is (Supposed to be) working from home today but can't. Bloody nightmare.

Advertisement