Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so, Santa is bringing a puppy this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I love Lulu!

Many happy days ahead to all of ye!....

Thank you for posting the pics!

:) xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you see me crawling under your kitchen table and curling up with her, just ignore me - I'll just be there for the cuddles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

So, first morning in, not too bad actually. Not a whimper from her all night , but a few poos, and wet patches on kitchen floor (where she was confined to)

Had a mat laid out and tried encouraging her to do her business there, but it will take a while. I suppose I may just resign myself to getting up an hour before everyone else for cleaning duties until she's trained.

Thank god for steam mops and insence sticks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Hey OP

A lot on here are like myself, are not a fan of newspapers and pads for toilet training. Confuses the pup.

Here's some food for thought. And again, this is our experience - so take from it what you will.

Both our dogs are crate trained (this takes building up to). And using the crate, as well as getting up with the pup two or three times a night (every 2-3 hours) had our latest edition, Jack - toilet trained over a weekend.

Pups don't want to go where they sleep.(in the crate) And their bladders are not able to hold it, so will go every 2-3 hours - hence the getting up through the night. And taking him out regularly during the day.

Whenever he peed in the grass, he'd get huge praise and a treat. Copped on almost immediately. (We'd say 'go pee' as part of the training). Pups usually poo after a feed. So again, high praise when he did that too.

We did this for 6-8 weeks. Felt like longer, but that's all in the past now.

And having 2 crate trained dogs, means we can take them everywhere. Hotel stays, holiday house lets, and as of next weekend, camping trip number 5.

I'm a big fan of crates, in case you haven't guessed!

Best of luck with her! She's gorgeous.

Hooked wrote: »
    Hey OP

A lot on here are like myself, are not a fan of newspapers and pads for toilet training. Confuses the pup.

Here's some food for thought. And again, this is our experience - so take from it what you will.

Both our dogs are crate trained (this takes building up to). And using the crate, as well as getting up with the pup two or three times a night (every 2-3 hours) had our latest edition, Jack - toilet trained over a weekend.

Pups don't want to go where they sleep.(in the crate) And their bladders are not able to hold it, so will go every 2-3 hours - hence the getting up through the night. And taking him out regularly during the day.

Whenever he peed in the grass, he'd get huge praise and a treat. Copped on almost immediately. (We'd say 'go pee' as part of the training). Pups usually poo after a feed. So again, high praise when he did that too.

We did this for 6-8 weeks. Felt like longer, but that's all in the past now.

And having 2 crate trained dogs, means we can take them everywhere. Hotel stays, holiday house lets, and as of next weekend, camping trip number 5.

I'm a big fan of crates, in case you haven't guessed!

Best of luck with her! She's gorgeous.

Very good points, I read online about crate training previous, but after reading your explanation, and the fact that she could 'travel' with us would be an added bonus.

I think I'll head to Argos later and pick up a crate, couple of questions.

Would I be better with the wire crate or plastic sides, wire at front?

Also, what would you recommend for treats, she is 9 weeks old, ten on wed.

She's a lovely little thing, very affectionate and she seems good with the two kids. (who are slowly learning they're boss, not the dog)

Something else, the guy we got the dog from tells me it's microchipped, has given me a sheet that I need to fill out and post away, and there's a forum with stamps on it as proof. However theirs no vet signature and the diagram of a dog detailing where the chip is is blank (no x marks the spot)

I'll be taking her for her last shot which is due on Friday, so might get vet to confirm chip is in or not.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Q. Very good points, I read online about crate training previous, but after reading your explanation, and the fact that she could 'travel' with us would be an added bonus.

A. I'm actually replying to this on my phone, at the dinner table. The 2 boys are beside me, in their open crates, waiting to be told they can go out. Well, to be fair - they're waiting for a bit of bacon. Cute hoors. Crates are great. When guests call, if we're hoovering or cleaning and it's raining out. Not forgetting night time. I sleep soundly, knowing our 2 are safe and quiet indoors.

Here's the proof:

6C6E5187-A3EA-47B1-8768-18B75F991C21_zpsqmteaqjr.jpg

Q. Would I be better with the wire crate or plastic sides, wire at front?

A. Either or TBH. My dad has a mix of both. We used the wire ones (they collapse flat, dogs travel in boot), and once Jack outgrew his and was toilet trained, I put him in with Hugo. Hugo used to have that while crate to himself. Until I divided it. www.jebbtools.ie is a great site for cheap crates. Or done deal. Get a crate just bigger than the dog. Any bigger and she'll use the opposite end as a toilet, so they say! Argos will rob ya!

Q. Also, what would you recommend for treats, she is 9 weeks old, ten on wed.

A. Depending on how sensitive her tummy is, I personally only treat using one or 2 pedigree puppy markies (each one broken up into 4), the odd small bit of bacon, sausage, cheese, etc... Too many treats aren't good. The lads in maxi zoo are not allowed to treat our two with their own stuff, only with the treats we bring with us. Most run through them. Not nice.

What are you feeding her by the way? There are a lot of threads on here about good quality feed. Not the vet recommended stuff. Get a good quality kibble - not pedigree or cheap supermarket stuff. Trust me, what you feed your dog will help with a lot of teeth, skin and other issues. Have a read of BARF or RAW feeding threads.

Q. She's a lovely little thing, very affectionate and she seems good with the two kids. (who are slowly learning they're boss, not the dog)

A. As lovely as she is, and as good as our two are. Kids are kids and dogs are dogs. Be sure and never leave unsupervised. Not that you would... If she nips or bites, teach her a soft mouth by having 'time out' or yelping in 'fake pain' to teach her what's right and wrong. Again, there are plenty of great folk and threads on here about same.

Some good points here:

113AA39E-B1B2-4413-9F31-A0DD92D8F52F_zps32imjmgq.jpg

Q. Something else, the guy we got the dog from tells me it's microchipped, has given me a sheet that I need to fill out and post away, and there's a forum with stamps on it as proof. However theirs no vet signature and the diagram of a dog detailing where the chip is is blank (no x marks the spot)

A. The vet will find it quick enough (usually at the back of the neck or along the spine) or your local maxi zoo may have a scanner. Have her scanned, check the digits against the paperwork. I think you can register that stuff online. We did ours with fido.ie.

Q. I'll be taking her for her last shot which is due on Friday, so might get vet to confirm chip is in or not.

A. As above, vet will find it pretty quick. Be sure and have her chipped IF for any reason she hasn't got one. Quickest way to reunite ye if she's ever lost. And get a good quality tag on her collar to boot! We get ours from www.identitag.co.uk. Pet shops have basic ones.

Q.Thanks for all the advice.
    A. No prob at all! The guys and gals on here are great!!! Each owner has their 'own' tips and tricks. So take mine with a pinch of salt. They work for me! I mean, us!!!

Ok guys, here's the latest update, and a very big cry for help or advice.

Lulu has settled in very well, but we're finding it nigh on impossible with the house training.

For various reasons, (mostly though my oh reckons it would be cruel) crate training hasn't happened, we decided to go down the traditional route, news papers, also taking her out at regular intervals to the same spot, but it's got and miss with her tbh.
    In saying that, it's about 3 weeks since we've had a poo in the house, they're was one night during last week, but I'm not too concerned as it was at night in fairness, and I understand they can only hold it in for a limited time.

Last night I walked her around an estuary, Prob half hour /40 min walk, nothing, not a pee or poo, even in my car, but as soon as she got in the living room, down she went and peed. :mad:

She's also peeing when she greets us, in the mornings, again, I'm not too concerned as i understand these are excited pees, or submissive pees.

She also has been growling at the children a few times.

In fairness, I haven't witnessed this as it happened when I was at work, therefore I can't tell if it was a play growl, or aggressive growl.

Anyone any tips, before she's banished from the inside of the house , permanently.

I absolutely don't want this, but my wife is at her wits end. Born worth cleaning pee, and in fear of a child being bitten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Ok guys, here's the latest update, and a very big cry for help or advice.

Lulu has settled in very well, but we're finding it nigh on impossible with the house training.

For various reasons, (mostly though my oh reckons it would be cruel) crate training hasn't happened, we decided to go down the traditional route, news papers, also taking her out at regular intervals to the same spot, but it's got and miss with her tbh.
    In saying that, it's about 3 weeks since we've had a poo in the house, they're was one night during last week, but I'm not too concerned as it was at night in fairness, and I understand they can only hold it in for a limited time.

Last night I walked her around an estuary, Prob half hour /40 min walk, nothing, not a pee or poo, even in my car, but as soon as she got in the living room, down she went and peed. :mad:

She's also peeing when she greets us, in the mornings, again, I'm not too concerned as i understand these are excited pees, or submissive pees.

She also has been growling at the children a few times.

In fairness, I haven't witnessed this as it happened when I was at work, therefore I can't tell if it was a play growl, or aggressive growl.

Anyone any tips, before she's banished from the inside of the house , permanently.

I absolutely don't want this, but my wife is at her wits end. Born worth cleaning pee, and in fear of a child being bitten.

Newspapers in the house? Get rid of them, far too confusing for the puppy. Think about it from her point of view, why is it okay for her to go in the house sometimes but then sometimes it's not?

Also, NEVER give out to a dog for peeing/pooping, if they go in the house, it's ultimately your fault, clean it up and scold yourself!

I got mine potty trained when I taught them a command associated with doing their business in the right place, I noticed they always would want to pee when they got home, so I ALWAYS brought them straight outside the back garden after a walk. The keyword I like to use is "get busy". The progression went like this.

1. Dog pees in appropriate area, reward with treat, say "get busy good!" praisepraisepraise! Repeat x5 or more.
    2. Wait until dog is obviously looking for a place to go, usually circling an area and sniffing intensely, say "get busy", wait until dog pees, say "get busy good!" reward, and lots of praise.
    3. Go out randomly during the day if you don't think your dog has been out for a while. If your dog stares at you, point to the area the dog usually goes and say "get busy", reward with a treat and praise.

Once consistent, you can gradually phase out the treat, but do give lots of praise anyway.

Crating is great mainly for the fact that if she has to go to the vets or the groomers, chances are she'll end up in a crate one way or another, having crates being a positive/safe place makes these experiences less scary for a dog.

Have the children been rough with her? Growling is totally okay, never punish it, if she is growling she means back off. Whatever is happening around her is making her uncomfortable, so best acknowledge it and do your best to make her feel safer.

And like you said, there are play growls, if she was tugging on something or playing ball, some pups will make happy growly noises. But it is a matter of being there in order for you to be able to tell the difference.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Get rid of the paper asap! ! That's your problem. As long as you continue yo allow your dog to go on the paper inside it will never learn that outside is where you want them to go.

I highly recommend crate training even if you just do it to help toilet train your dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I crate trained both my two, older boy was starting toilet training when I got him, "do your business" was the phrase used. I got up and carried him outside every time he looked like going, after food, after he had a drink, the minute he woke, or got out of his bed during the day and got up twice during the night.
    He was completely trained with very few accidents in about a month (I still took him out at night, or if he asked at night until he stopped asking at about 4.5 months).
    The younger girl was brilliant and followed his lead, was trained in a couple of weeks.

The crate is a safe place to hide during the day for a rest, a chew on a toy, or just to chill out while you mop floor or Hoover etc.
    It's important to carry pup outside straight from crate so they don't get a chance to pee on the way.
    Praise is the best thing, wait as long as it takes, and get rid of the paper.
    Watch her like a hawk!

The growling could be her asking for a rest or bit of peace, she's a baby and will tire playing with kids. Another reason to crate train, teach kids that's her safe spot, to be left alone.
    My boy is 6 now and if I put up his crate he's in like a shot, even now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

+1 on the crate training. Start with putting a treat in it for her but build up slowly to closing the door. Remember it's her safe haven. Never put her into it as punishment. She will learn to retreat to it when she's wants to be left alone. You could make her bed in it but don't close the door on her at night yet. I think they can hold their wee/poo in for an hour for every month old they are. We first closed the door at night when our guy was 6 months and he never whined or soiled his bed.
    As for the growling, as was said, it could be play growling but tbh it's probably her warning the kids to back off sometimes as was previously said. My guy is 20 months old but since we got him he's been very wary of my now 5 yr old son. He has growled at him several times, my husband blames the dog but I 100% blame my son. I've told him over and over how to behave around the dog but he's boisterous and giddy and he makes the dog nervous sometimes. He lunges at him and grabs at him.
    I know how your wife feels, I went through phases of thinking our 7 kilo furball was a killer but they test their boundaries at that age. Try take a deep breath and take it slowly. There is lots of good advice here and on the internet. We're on our first dog too so I understand your concerns.
    Best of luck with her, she's a beauty!
    (As I finish this I've just caught my son hurling a slipper at the poor dog. The poor dog loves when he (my son) goes to bed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Try to get things in perspective here OP... your wife thinks the crate is cruel, but is on the verge of banishing a young pup into the garden for peeing in the house and being a handful around the kids?!
    It doesn't sit well, sure it doesn't?
    If your wife is very resistant to using a crate, a playpen is a brilliant alternative, I personally much prefer them as they're, well, nicer! They're also not as prone to being dismissed as cruel by owners who feel uncomfortable about crates.
    Here's the sort of thing I mean:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/runs_fencing/eight_sided_runs/outback/126789

The growling at the kids is probably playful, but even if it is, you, your wife and kids need to know how to deal with it.
    Would ye consider doing a one-to-one puppy session with a good trainer in your own home? You would get a HUGE amount of benefit from just one session, from dealing with growling, biting, rough play, and foot-grabbing, to housetraining, to basic obedience, to troubleshooting.
    All of which will seriously reduce the chances of pup being banished to the garden.
    If it comes to banishment, then to be perfectly blunt, let puppy go sooner rather than later. It's not an option in terms of good welfare and quality of life for a dog.

Ok guys, latest update....

Taking her outside to the back garden immediately after eating /walking and playing, and if no pees, returning out the back every half hour or so.

Lavishing praises on her each time she pees, but tbh, they're few and far between..

90% of the time she thinks I'm bringing her out to just sit down, or lie down. Sometimes she'll sniff around, chew sticks, or try to head off to her kennel.

I have now started to take her out with a lead in to prevent her straying off, I'm basically trying to make the whole thing boring for her...... , until she pees, then I'm praising her, giving her treats etc.

What's confusing me however, yesterday I brought her out regulary at 20 min intervals in an attempt to get her to pee, nothing.

After an hour and a half, still nothing.

I bring her back to the kitchen, where she lay on her bed, and niagra falls. Pee every where.

6am this morning, my wife comes down stairs, no pee, no poo (so progress) but when she was preparing her puppy nuts, she wet her bed again.

No more growing at the kids. They've been warned by us that she needs her space, leave her alone when she's lying down or sleeping, and especially when she's eating.

We've a good dog, already able to sit, lie down, and high five on command, but the house training is tough.

In not so sure even crate training will work, seeing as she's already soiling get own bed in the kitchen .

It's slow and it's tough, but we'll get there. I keep telling my wife we'l be looking back on this and laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP how old is the dog??

GREAT that the children are learning that Lulu HAS to be allowed her space. Its especially important that the children realize NEVER to be at her when she is eating. What dog wont react badly if she is asleep/resting and a child comes poking or dragging at it. So sounds like you are on top of that.

Its a bit odd that the instant she LAY on her bed she pee'd like Niagra... Was that like a totally spontaneous pee? Like she lay down and had no control over the pee? It might be an idea to have the vet check her over if that was the case?

(not knowing how old she is, its hard to give any advice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

But did your wife let her out the minute she came down to her? She should have brought her straight out as she would have needed to go so when she wasn't let out she just went as she needed to go.

andreac wrote: »
    But did your wife let her out the minute she came down to her? She should have brought her straight out as she would have needed to go so when she wasn't let out she just went as she needed to go.

She's at work right now, but Ill be talking to her soon, I dont think she would have done anything different from our normal routine..

That's go in kitchen, open back door, put dog in garden, open garden shed and fetch food, fill bowls with food and water.

I think it may have been an excited pee this morning I'll ask when I get a chance.

Were getting there though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

She's at work right now, but Ill be talking to her soon, I dont think she would have done anything different from our normal routine..

That's go in kitchen, open back door, put dog in garden, open garden shed and fetch food, fill bowls with food and water.

I think it may have been an excited pee this morning I'll ask when I get a chance.

Were getting there though

Is your wife staying outside with her on a lead waiting for her to pee as well? If she put her outside then was out there herself getting food etc the puppy was probably more interested in that than in peeing, you and your wife need to be doing the same routine, if you're going out with a lead on the pup then your wife should be doing it too.

aonb wrote: »
    OP how old is the dog??

GREAT that the children are learning that Lulu HAS to be allowed her space. Its especially important that the children realize NEVER to be at her when she is eating. What dog wont react badly if she is asleep/resting and a child comes poking or dragging at it. So sounds like you are on top of that.

Its a bit odd that the instant she LAY on her bed she pee'd like Niagra... Was that like a totally spontaneous pee? Like she lay down and had no control over the pee? It might be an idea to have the vet check her over if that was the case?

(not knowing how old she is, its hard to give any advice)

Hey.

She's 17 weeks. We have her 5 weeks today.

I don't think it's a medical condition tbh, I'm now beginning to wonder if she's genuinely confused as to where it is she's actually meant to be peeing. :mad:

Seems strange though that a dog would soil the place it sleeps.

Just off the phone.

The dog peed on the bed before my wife even opened the kitchen door. We have an all glass door between the living room and kitchen.

When my wife opened the hallway/sitting room door, she said the dog immediately started to pee once it seen her. She clapped her hands in an attempt to distract her and immediately took her out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm now beginning to wonder if she's genuinely confused as to where it is she's actually meant to be peeing. :mad:

I hope the angry face is for yourself and not the pup?

TBH you're cutting off your nose to spite your face by not confining/crating her to speed up training. Homestore and More in Blanchardstown still had puppy pens left yesterday - I don't think they were even €10? Jebbtools.ie have cheap but good quality crates with next day shipping. A crate/pen is a den for the dog - the see it as a safe place not a jail. First place my dog went yesterday after he came home from a stay at the vet was his crate.

Anything that's being soiled needs to be washed with bio washing powered btw to break down the enzymes - otherwise they'll keep smelling where they wee'd last time and go there again and again..and again! :p

I'd also suggest adding a word/phrase when she does actually go to the loo outside as well as the praise/treats because you'll be able to say that and she'll just go. You have to stick it out though - my pup was extremely lazy and would try to go asleep when I took her out - I'd have to lift her up off the ground again and again until she went even if it took 20 mins. Now when I bring her out say at night I just have to say the magic word once and away she goes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

6am this morning, my wife comes down stairs, no pee, no poo (so progress) but when she was preparing her puppy nuts, she wet her bed again.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already as I didn't read all the thread.

To get over this phase, would it be possible to get up a couple of times during the night to bring your pup out to the toilet? (Again using a key phrase.) That should fix the problem of your pup going to the toilet when you get up in the morning.

I have never crate trained but I do have a crate and a pen. Both are handy to have. I used the crate and pen for my new pup during the day if I needed a break. The crate is also useful if your dog has to rest after a visit to the vet. The pen comes in panels so I still find these handy for blocking off different areas in the house.

Jesus lads, this dog is playing hard ball.

Outside with her at regular intervals today again staying out there for 10-15 mins at a time , no pees.

Bring her back Inside, grabbing a nappy bag for her poo to head out on a walk and she literally peed the sec (literally second) I turned my back.

I swear she's taking the Mickey at this stage.

She is reverse housetrained op. She is certainly not playing hardball, she is simply doing what she has learned works best for her.
    In other words, as I described in other similar threads, a cloth/soft surface has become her preferred substrate, which all too often happens to pups who are not actively housetrained. But there may be more going on related to her not wanting to pee when a human is nearby.
    She peed as soon as she saw your wife... Can I take it that your wife has lost the rag with pup for peeing inside? Indeed, clapping hands at pup in mid-pee could be enough to make pup worried about toileting in front of people at all, or peeing out of anxiety.
    This pre-emptive peeing is a direct result of the pup literally peeing herself out of the anxiety resulting from anticipating something she finds aversive. Your wife may have to do some work to restore the pup's confidence, because this type of anticipative peeing is very hard to get rid of when it becomes established.
    What substrate is your garden? Grass? Slabs? Concrete?

DBB wrote: »
    She is reverse housetrained op. She is certainly not playing hardball, she is simply doing what she has learned works best for her.
    In other words, as I described in other similar threads, a cloth/soft surface has become her preferred substrate, which all too often happens to pups who are not actively housetrained. But there may be more going on related to her not wanting to pee when a human is nearby.
    She peed as soon as she saw your wife... Can I take it that your wife has lost the rag with pup for peeing inside? Indeed, clapping hands at pup in mid-pee could be enough to make pup worried about toileting in front of people at all, or peeing out of anxiety.
    This pre-emptive peeing is a direct result of the pup literally peeing herself out of the anxiety resulting from anticipating something she finds aversive. Your wife may have to do some work to restore the pup's confidence, because this type of anticipative peeing is very hard to get rid of when it becomes established.
    What substrate is your garden? Grass? Slabs? Concrete?

Hi DBB, thanks for all the info so far, I've found it extremely helpful.

Firstly, no my wife hasn't flipped out with her, (not that I've ever seen anyway) I'm scratching my head now, because the dog is literally 50/50 peeing in garden/in kitchen.

My back garden consists of decking, stones, then lastly sandstone. No grass.

Do you think this could be having an affect on where and when she pees?

Incidentally, poos don't seem to be an issue, in fact she'll sprint out the kitchen door to do her number 2s, no problem there ;)

Apart from the peeing, she is a very happy, fun loving puppy. And I shod add, LOVES digging my flowerbeds and pots.

Hi DBB, thanks for all the info so far, I've found it extremely helpful.

Firstly, no my wife hasn't flipped out with her, (not that I've ever seen anyway) I'm scratching my head now, because the dog is literally 50/50 peeing in garden/in kitchen.

Glad to be of help, and I know you're trying your best :)
    There's some reason that pup is peeing when she sees or hears someone coming... Can your wife describe pup's body language as she peed in the bed when your wife appeared? Was she quiet, perhaps lowering her head and averting her gaze? Or was she happy and waggy and excited?
    Bear in mind that clapping hands, even an exasperated "oh for God's sake!" can be enough to make a dog worried about what happens when people appear... Can you honestly say that nothing like this has happened (I know there have been times that I've had to go to a different room so that I could get the frustration out of my system where pup couldn't see me :D )
    My back garden consists of decking, stones, then lastly sandstone. No grass.

Do you think this could be having an affect on where and when she pees?

Aahhh... We may be getting to a major contributor to your problem here! Pups learn substrate discrimination very early in life, long before you got her, in terms of how their toileting surface *should* feel and smell.
    So the breeder has a huge influence over pups' future substrate preference.
    The vaaaast majority of dogs prefer a soft, non-splash surface, and you're not providing that for her in your garden (not having a go here, it's just an observation :) ), so here's a suggestion.
    Get a good sized box, or kid's sand pit, and fill it with sand and/or topsoil, even bark mulch might do the trick. If you were going to do it super-ideally, you'd put a layer of grass turf on top! But you may get away without it.
    And this can become her new toilet zone. She needs to be able to get in and out of it easily.
    With time, there's a good chance she'll diversify her substrate preference, but you do need to accommodate her limited preference at this early age.
    Is that a possibility for you to set up?

Incidentally, poos don't seem to be an issue, in fact she'll sprint out the kitchen door to do her number 2s, no problem there ;)

That's often because pooping doesn't give pups the same splashback problem!

So, firstly thanks for all the help and advice.

i'm pleased to inform you all she's now house trained. (or at least we think she is)

Followed a few of your heads up, firstly, her bed which she was peeing in constantly has been relegated to simply hanging up outside.

Purchased a new bed (plastic basket shaped yoke) from home store and more (7 euro) which I have put her blanket from her outside kennel into. (which she never peed on)

After a few hard days/evenings of refusing to interact with her until she went, I then praised her like an idiot, followed by a piece of ham, or a piece of tuna (which I've realised she goes bananas for) .

Take her out for a 20 min stroll pre work, post work and before bedtime, followed by frequent trips to the backyard (on her leash) and I think we finally have her sorted.

No accidents since Saturday, :) and call me crazy, but I actually think the dog is in better spirits these days.

She asks to go out now by sitting at the back door mat, when I spot her I quickly give her access to the yard, still on her leash.

Big shout out for home store and more btw, loads of dog products at about a third of the likes of maxi zoo.

I still have the submissive peeing to deal with, but I'm slowly but surely countering that one, and am nearly there.

Once again thanks to each and every one of you.

The string household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well done! I forgot to suggest a bell by the door - we had a problem were not everyone in the house was as observant of the poor pup waiting by the back step so I hung a bell by the door frame and touched her nose to it every time I opened the door. She learned really quickly how to ring it herself to get out! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well done! Sometimes, they can take steps back in training, especially with house training, so if she does have an accident don't fret, just continue as you're going. It sounds like you're doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Hi String, just read some of your thread and I'm honestly not meaning to be glib but I bet now you are sooo glad you didn't get your pup at Xmas and have to deal with the toileting issues then - you should tell this story to every person you meet considering the Xmas puppy route!!! :D

Well done for your persistence and glad it's paying off. +1 for the bell hanging off the back door; my furries will ring it when they need to go outside so I can hear it even when I can't see them.

• Advertisement

Guys just updating the thread to say, after a few more accidents, I relented and bought a crate.

Best. Decision. Ever.

She loves it, actually comes out of it reluctantly when morning time comes.

Haven't had an accident since.

Bought brand new from petstop, best €40 spent on her yet. :)

Advertisement