Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so, Santa is bringing a puppy this year.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Well done, I'm so delighted to hear it. Crate training is such a great way to toilet train. My crate is still in the sitting room and the dogs love to wander on and out for naps now they're adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Guys just updating the thread to say, after a few more accidents, I relented and bought a crate.

Best. Decision. Ever.

She loves it, actually comes out of it reluctantly when morning time comes.

Haven't had an accident since.

Bought brand new from petstop, best €40 spent on her yet. :)

It's gas isn't it?? We never crate trained our dog, but bought her a crate at a car boot sale when she was 10. She absolutely LOVES it. Like, instantly. We opened it up, she got in, and completely claimed it as her space.

Any future dog I get, it'll be introduced from day one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Well done, I'm so delighted to hear it. Crate training is such a great way to toilet train. My crate is still in the sitting room and the dogs love to wander on and out for naps now they're adults.

Yeah, she took to it instantly.

I never forced her to get in, fed her her puppy nuts inside the crate on the first day, let her wonder in and out finding treats placed inside as she went.

Closed the door over at brief intervals throughout the first day, and only closing it for good at night time, after she had pottied out the back.

The first few nights, I set my alarm for 4 am, (so she had been in there for 5 hours) took her out back (very reluctantly on her part may I add), waited on her peeing, then back in to the crate, and I went back to bed.

She was then let out again for brekkie and pee time around 7/7.30 when the rest of the gang gets up.

Delighted with her progress, she's happy too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Aww I'm so glaf for you, nice to hear happy puppy happy owner stories. Working in rescue I see a lot of dogs dumped for less so it cheers me up to see someone persevering with a bit of common sense and patience - these issues can be overcome if more people didn't throw in the towel at the first hurdle!

Advertisement