Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any point buying an iPhone 3GS?

• 11-09-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I want to buy an iPhone due to the fact I think the music player is much better than any other phone, especially due to the compatibility with iTunes. The main reason I want one is for music, Facebook, calls and texts, all of which a 3GS should be able to do no bother. However, I know Apple are dropping support for the iPhone 3GS with the new iOS update, so will I be left unable to download the majority of apps on the app store if I buy a 3GS? Or should I just fork out the extra money and get an iPhone 4? and I'll be buying it used of course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I want to buy an iPhone due to the fact I think the music player is much better than any other phone, especially due to the compatibility with iTunes. The main reason I want one is for music, Facebook, calls and texts, all of which a 3GS should be able to do no bother. However, I know Apple are dropping support for the iPhone 3GS with the new iOS update, so will I be left unable to download the majority of apps on the app store if I buy a 3GS? Or should I just fork out the extra money and get an iPhone 4? and I'll be buying it used of course.

Get the 4S - 2nd hand. Mint. Unlocked. All day for €250. You'll have support for a food while longer. A mint 3GS will save you perhaps save you €100. Worth the extra spend IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

yeah the minimum i'd get is a 4 but you should get a newish 4s like Dodzy says above for that type of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Mr.S wrote: »
    3GS is over 4 years old now, its a decent looking phone and will do the things you want perfectly fine, but as you said, iOS 7 isn't supported on it, the more demanding apps won't run on it, or run badly & since its 4+ years old, you'll be buying used models which will have ****e battery life.

You can get a decent preowned iPhone 4 or 4S for around 200-250euro

Go for a 4S if possible ... much higher spec than 4 - especially camera!!
    They are still making around €300 though - for a decent, unlocked 4S

Make sure it's unlocked ... bring other network sim to check when buying. You don't want the hassle of jailbreaking and unlocking.

Will be selling mine btw on 5S launch day! :)

In addition, when buying 2nd hand.

-Meet the seller
    -Get the IMEI number
    -Ring the network that the phone is currently attached to
    -Tell them that you are purchasing
    -Ask if there are any issues with the number. They wont give much away but they will tell you if you should exercise caution

Too many dogs out there selling working units and then reporting them lost to claim on the insurance policy

Net result: you are out of pocket to the tune of €250 - €300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

If you want to buy a 3GS, I can sell you mine on vodafone network. Cheap. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

dodzy wrote: »
    In addition, when buying 2nd hand.

-Meet the seller
    -Get the IMEI number
    -Ring the network that the phone is currently attached to
    -Tell them that you are purchasing
    -Ask if there are any issues with the number. They wont give much away but they will tell you if you should exercise caution

Too many dogs out there selling working units and then reporting them lost to claim on the insurance policy

Net result: you are out of pocket to the tune of €250 - €300

Good advise, but as you said the network might not give much info away. Also it's a bit of hassle, one thing I would add to the list is -if at all possible- insist on buying it at the home address of the seller. At least you know where to go if there's a problem. If the seller insists on selling in a public place, walk away...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Thank you, I've found a good few 3GS in the region of 100 euro, which I'd assume wouldn't be sketchy due to the fact the phone is nearly 4 years old, I'd much rather buy a phone in the region of about 100 euro due to the fact I won't really care if I lose it or it gets stolen, I won't really want to run any demanding apps, the likes of angry birds would be the most I'd want. Battery life shouldn't be too much of an issue either, it would be mostly sitting in my pocket unless I'm texting or the occasional look at Facebook, unless they tend to get so bad that they can't even stay on while idle all day. So, all these things considered, would buying a 3GS for around 100 euro be a bad idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I'll sell mine for 90. :P

Thank you, I've found a good few 3GS in the region of 100 euro, which I'd assume wouldn't be sketchy due to the fact the phone is nearly 4 years old, I'd much rather buy a phone in the region of about 100 euro due to the fact I won't really care if I lose it or it gets stolen, I won't really want to run any demanding apps, the likes of angry birds would be the most I'd want. Battery life shouldn't be too much of an issue either, it would be mostly sitting in my pocket unless I'm texting or the occasional look at Facebook, unless they tend to get so bad that they can't even stay on while idle all day. So, all these things considered, would buying a 3GS for around 100 euro be a bad idea?
    Yes, based on the above criteria, a 3GS will fit your needs fine, with the added bonus of having an extra few bob in your pocket.

battery power would be my main criteria on a used 3gs. The screen and camera can be replaced cheaply. I'm not sure about the battery but imagine its a bigger job so if you can try one out overnight before you buy so that you are happy with it. My 4 is a couple of years old now and I use it quite a bit each day and still only needs one full charge a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I wouldn't go lower than 4s

3DataModem wrote: »
    I wouldn't go lower than 4s

Not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on a phone. I do think though that when the OP gets an iphone they will get bitten and sooner or later want to upgrade to a better model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Genuinely no point in buying the 3GS now. Spend a little extra to get the 4 or 4S.

You'd be buying a discontinued phone, which won't be seeing any real OS updates or even a lot of App updates. Less than a year and it'd be a glorified iPod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I'd agree with the others and get a second hand 4S.

Otherwise if the high cost of an iPhone is the main concern you can excellent Android phones around the 200 euro mark. eg the Nexus 4 is now starting at £159 and Google Music syncs with your iTunes library. I have a iPhone 4S and a Nexus 7 Android tablet so use Google Music to keep my music on both devices. Everything syncs from my iTunes library on my computer to the Nexus tablet and iPhone through Google Music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I would spend a bit more & go for a 4S. You might not need it's power now but down the line it's the better move really.

Suddenly, for some reason, I seem to have a change of heart and now want to purchase an iPhone 4S. I've noticed they're €400 on Apple's website sim free. I know iPhones can be blocked remotely if reported stolen, and rendered useless as a phone. Now I know I can take reassurances by buying at the seller's address and such, but is there anyway I can guarantee my iPhone isn't going to get blocked other than buying a brand new one? And if I pay €400 for a phone I'd like for it to last a long time, now I know no one can give me a definitive answer, but I'm assuming an iPhone 4S is good for the next year due to the fact it can install iOS 7, but what are the chances of iOS 8 being 4s compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭peace2804

Suddenly, for some reason, I seem to have a change of heart and now want to purchase an iPhone 4S. I've noticed they're €400 on Apple's website sim free. I know iPhones can be blocked remotely if reported stolen, and rendered useless as a phone. Now I know I can take reassurances by buying at the seller's address and such, but is there anyway I can guarantee my iPhone isn't going to get blocked other than buying a brand new one? And if I pay €400 for a phone I'd like for it to last a long time, now I know no one can give me a definitive answer, but I'm assuming an iPhone 4S is good for the next year due to the fact it can install iOS 7, but what are the chances of iOS 8 being 4s compatible?

The iPhone 4S is only 8GB I think, useless to be honest with you, look at adverts.ie and look for shops rather than individual sellers, I have just spotted a brand new iphone5 unlocked, boxed and sealed with higher storage capacity for 440 EUR, really worth it, don't rush and shop around in the likes of eBay as well, look for top rated sellers and look at the feedbacks, there are lots of deals to be found.

peace2804 wrote: »
    The iPhone 4S is only 8GB I think, useless to be honest with you, look at adverts.ie and look for shops rather than individual sellers, I have just spotted a brand new iphone5 unlocked, boxed and sealed with higher storage capacity for 440 EUR, really worth it, don't rush and shop around in the likes of eBay as well, look for top rated sellers and look at the feedbacks, there are lots of deals to be found.
    8gb should be enough for me, I've got an 8gb iPod touch with my whole music collection on it, which I can trim down greatly to the songs I actually listen to.(600+ on my iPod, after filtering will be left with probably 150 or less.), won't be downloading more than a few big applications and will likely delete those not too long after downloading. or is there some more mandatory downloads on the iPhone other than the operating system?
    Edit: Also, has the iPhone 5 been discontinued? As I can't seem to find any new iPhone 5s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

8gb should be enough for me, I've got an 8gb iPod touch with my whole music collection on it, which I can trim down greatly to the songs I actually listen to.(600+ on my iPod, after filtering will be left with probably 150 or less.), won't be downloading more than a few big applications and will likely delete those not too long after downloading. or is there some more mandatory downloads on the iPhone other than the operating system?
    Edit: Also, has the iPhone 5 been discontinued? As I can't seem to find any new iPhone 5s.

ya the 5 has been replaced with the 5c, the 5s is the upgrade

Advertisement