Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting - your rights?

Options
  • 11-09-2013 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Due to a marriage break up, I'll shortly be leaving my home to look for rented accommodation. The last time I rented was in the early 90's and I had good and bad experiences with Landlords. The good ones left me alone once the rent was paid through the estate agent I rented the house from. The bad one used to let himself in when I was at work and help himself to tea and biscuits, and had a good look around as all the doors would be open. He scared the sh1t out of my girlfriend when he walked into the bedroom to find her still half asleep. When it came time to move out, despite the house being in clean and undamaged condition, and bills paid up to date, he wouldn't give my deposit back. The local Gardai said they couldn't do anything about it.

So have things changed for the better since then and if I rent somewhere, is the house "mine",ie the Landlord can't let himself in when he damn well feels like it, once I've paid the rent and am not causing a nuisance? What about the lease, is it a good idea to run it by a Solicitor or would I be able to check it myself? What about deposits, ie do you get them back if the house is kept well or is it a battle to recover the deposit? I also have kids that I'll have staying over. Is this an issue with Landlords, ie can they dictate who you can have in the house? What about paying the rent! Is it to an estate agent, by direct debit or does the Landlord come knocking for it? Anything else I need to check before I rent?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Why are you moving out and not the other half moving out.
    Stay if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Check out the prtb website op. It's a good place to start. http://www.prtb.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Landlords can't let them selfs in now with out notice if the rent is paid.
    I used to come home to my stuff broken by people the LL sent around.:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Kashkai wrote: »
    When it came time to move out, despite the house being in clean and undamaged condition, and bills paid up to date, he wouldn't give my deposit back. The local Gardai said they couldn't do anything about it.
    The PRTB are now the ones to goto with issues like this. The GS can not make decisions in what is a civil dispute. The PRTB are slow as a wet week watching Ireland play football but will get there in the end.
    So have things changed for the better since then and if I rent somewhere, is the house "mine",ie the Landlord can't let himself in when he damn well feels like it, once I've paid the rent and am not causing a nuisance?
    The landlord can only enter your property by prior agreement and appointment.
    What about the lease, is it a good idea to run it by a Solicitor or would I be able to check it myself?
    I wouldn't bother with the expense of a solicitor. You are guaranteed rights under the PRT Act which cannot be changed with or without a lease
    What about deposits, ie do you get them back if the house is kept well or is it a battle to recover the deposit?
    Take photos and an inventory list when you move in. If there is no damage above wear and tear then there is no case to withhold a deposit.
    I also have kids that I'll have staying over. Is this an issue with Landlords, ie can they dictate who you can have in the house?
    They have a right to know who is living in the house. Occassional guests are really none of the LL business so long as they are not engaging in anti social behaviour.
    What about paying the rent! Is it to an estate agent, by direct debit or does the Landlord come knocking for it?
    Personally I have always paid LL by DD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Dodd wrote: »
    Stay if you can.

Ok, seeing as you asked, I do and always have paid the mortgage. However my legal advice is that no Judge will put a mother out as its "accepted" that kids are better off with their mother. That's not my case as I'm a far better parent than her, but who am I to set a precedent?

So I'm biting the bullet and planning on going as my darling wife is either mentally deranged or plain evil. No matter how I try to keep the peace for our kids sake and to stay away from her, she just follows me round the house slagging me off, sneering, etc. There's only so much of that you can take, and in my case it's bloody years of abuse. I don't want to leave my kids, I don't want to leave my home but my choice is put up with her or go.

Thanks to all for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ok, seeing as you asked, I do and always have paid the mortgage. However my legal advice is that no Judge will put a mother out as its "accepted" that kids are better off with their mother. That's not my case as I'm a far better parent than her, but who am I to set a precedent?

Unfortunately with the law as is your legal advice is probably correct despite the children's referendum. You could try contacting www.Amen.ie for further info and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dodd wrote: »
    Stay if you can.
    Useful posts only please.

Advertisement