Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 7 GM/Public Release

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

murpho999 wrote: »

Good idea but no idea what impact it will have on battery.
    I'd say the main drain would be apps using location services.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

Any ideas on how to stop with the 'Connect to iTunes to Use Push Notifications' appearing every single time I open WhatsApp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Decobuzz wrote: »
    When you click on an existing page in Safari to enter a new web link that page with the Bing icon on the iPhone and with Disney and Yahoo icons on the iPad comes up. Does anyone know how to get rid of this? I'm finding it very annoying.
    When you open a new tab it lists your favourite links. If you go to bookmarks you can delete/change the sites.

You can delete all if you like and it'll just be a blank tab as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Decobuzz wrote: »
    Any ideas on how to stop with the 'Connect to iTunes to Use Push Notifications' appearing every single time I open WhatsApp?

Seems like backing up your device and restoring iOS 7 will fix this issue. Couldn't find any other helpful fixes.

Found the info on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Updated my iPad 3 to ios7 and Diigo browser and even Safari are constantly crashing when I'm reading the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

mdwexford wrote: »
    Updated my iPad 3 to ios7 and Diigo browser and even Safari are constantly crashing when I'm reading the internet.

No issues with Safari on my iPad 3. Maybe give yours a reboot and see if it helps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Updated iPhone4S, iPhone5 and iPad2 with no problems. Maybe I did something wrong...

In summary for 50% of the queries on the thread:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Updated my iPad and iPhone last night. Didn't have any problems other than the second page of apps only having one app on it for some reason. Hard to judge things yet as I'm sure I'll get used to the changes but here are some initial thoughts.

Things I don't like about the update:
    • the number pad on the iPhone has been made bigger, meaning I now have to adjust my hand position to hit some numbers when using it one handed (which is most of the time)
    • there's a small, but noticeable, delay when moving from letter to numbers on the keyboard
    • swiping up for Control Centre is pretty unresponsive on the iPhone (don't have the same problem with swiping down for search for example)
    • in Safari on the iPad moving the bookmarks button from the left to the right of the address bar means browsing one handed in bed is no longer possible. They've moved the button away from the back and forward buttons essentially splitting navigational functionality across the screen.
    • I've had to disable swiping up for Control Centre in apps because that tends to be the same gesture I use to scroll in Safari and it pops up too often (ironically I don't have the responsiveness problem on my iPad)

Things I like about the update:
    • folders can contain more items, look better on the homescreen and you can put Newsstand in them!

Although a lot of my complaints are niggles they're exactly the kind of thing I would have expected Apple to bear in mind. It seems to me they're more concerned with changing the look (which I'm not mad about but have no strong feelings on) even if it affects usability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Updated my iPad and iPhone last night. Didn't have any problems other than the second page of apps only having one app on it for some reason.

This is because facetime got its own app on the main screen which pushed one of you apps over to its own page.

I love IOS7 anyway.. Sher its the same OS only better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

swiping up for Control Centre is pretty unresponsive on the iPhone (don't have the same problem with swiping down for search for example)

I start my slide up from the area to the right of the home button and up onto the screen, works 100% of the time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Stab*City wrote: »
    This is because facetime got its own app on the main screen which pushed one of you apps over to its own page.

Yeah, it wasn't a big issue anyway. Though I do wish they'd come up with a better way for users to re-arrange their apps.

In what ways do you find it better?
    kceire wrote: »
    I start my slide up from the area to the right of the home button and up onto the screen, works 100% of the time :)

Whaddaya know, you're right! Still, pretty unintuitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Brian017 wrote: »
    Does automatic app updates drain the battery that much? I know Background App Refresh does.
    The missus is sending me texts and they are coming in with her email address ?, mine to her also?
    Stab*City wrote: »

I've managed to put FaceTime in a folder . Still no action on stocks, weather etc but I'm wondering if this ain't a Google Ireland issue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Updated my iPad and iPhone last night. Didn't have any problems other than the second page of apps only having one app on it for some reason. Hard to judge things yet as I'm sure I'll get used to the changes but here are some initial thoughts.

Things I don't like about the update:
    • the number pad on the iPhone has been made bigger, meaning I now have to adjust my hand position to hit some numbers when using it one handed (which is most of the time)
    • there's a small, but noticeable, delay when moving from letter to numbers on the keyboard
    • swiping up for Control Centre is pretty unresponsive on the iPhone (don't have the same problem with swiping down for search for example)
    • in Safari on the iPad moving the bookmarks button from the left to the right of the address bar means browsing one handed in bed is no longer possible. They've moved the button away from the back and forward buttons essentially splitting navigational functionality across the screen.
    • I've had to disable swiping up for Control Centre in apps because that tends to be the same gesture I use to scroll in Safari and it pops up too often (ironically I don't have the responsiveness problem on my iPad)

Things I like about the update:
    • folders can contain more items, look better on the homescreen and you can put Newsstand in them!

Although a lot of my complaints are niggles they're exactly the kind of thing I would have expected Apple to bear in mind. It seems to me they're more concerned with changing the look (which I'm not mad about but have no strong feelings on) even if it affects usability.

The wider issue here, imho, is change. I am older than most here and have been through a LOT of change in technology etc. We get accustomed to things incredibly quickly and incredibly deeply. Even small tweaks can upset our comfort zone.
    The answer is to try to change our outlook to being welcoming to change and embracing it.
    I am not saying that means accepting everything because some times things can be mistakes. But in this kind of situation with iOS,7 we need to wait a few days :) and let it sink in before we make and take definitive positions. being different doesn't always mean it's a bad thing :-)

As regards the above points I really had to laugh at No1. Earthhorse :-)
    No2: I have tested mine and I can definitively say there is absolutely no delay whatsoever. Another amusing one though :-)
    No3: If you start your swipe below the screen you will get the Control Centre. If you start within the page then you get scroll. I have absolutely no problems with this.
    No4: I don't have my iPad at the moment. But if I had I would still be laughing ...
    No5: Same as No3.

Adapt to change.

Hate the way when moving the screen if you swipe to quick from left to right it goes back a page can this be changed
    All you have to do is the reverse and you're fixed ......... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

It's a nice update visually but it's not as big a update as I expected. All the fundamental functionality of previous OS's is still there. Still finding nice subtle improvements every time I pick up the iPhone though.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Agreed, most people don't believe/understand this and think that you have to close all apps to protect battery (really see that a lot).

Sometimes though an app does get stuck and drains battery and you don't know which so a kill all would be handy.
    So basically you have contradicted yourself :-) This was a big issue back with iOS5 if my memory serves me right, or maybe the iPhone4. No one ever suggested that all open apps cause drain, but that there was evidence that there were some badly behaved apps that did. Hence people were advised to quit apps on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I don't like the UI for the most part and the OS was released too early but there are huge gains in the software. control centre, navigation centre, background apps, auto updating, better folders, bigger email cache, unlimited tabs in safari, better position for search when you get used to it, better photos ui and functionality, better music and videos app with all your bought music visible ( i had cleared up the device by relegating bought but not very often played music to the cloud, where it can still be streamed), better actions when swiping in email, and lots of minor fixes and additions like the timer on the lock screen etc.

Despite all that I reverted to 6 because I thought it laggy and buggy on the 4S. I don't like the unified toolbars, the transitions are a pain. A few shadows would make a lot of difference. I do like the flatter icons, however. I will update to 7.1 when it comes out.

Apple's real issue is that they have to release with the hardware, decoupling hardware and software releases would go a long way to a better software release cycle.

I'd say the main drain would be apps using location services.
    +Push notification.

mdwexford wrote: »

Did you try a hard reset after updating ?

Piliger wrote: »
    So basically you have contradicted yourself :-) This was a big issue back with iOS5 if my memory serves me right, or maybe the iPhone4. No one ever suggested that all open apps cause drain, but that there was evidence that there were some badly behaved apps that did. Hence people were advised to quit apps on a regular basis.

Apple never advised that. Apps until iOS 7 were jettisoned after max ten minutes, unless they were location aware apps. Or music players. One or two others, and those apps can be seen to be using the location in the toolbar, or in the privacy settings.

• Advertisement

+Push notification.

Absolutely not. the OS handles that for them.

Passenger wrote: »
    It's a nice update visually but it's not as big a update as I expected. All the fundamental functionality of previous OS's is still there. Still finding nice subtle improvements every time I pick up the iPhone though.
    Dare I say that is the magic of Apple. Keeping enough to make us feel safe and familiar, while adding subtle changes and improvements in easy to use ways.

I am not without issues with iOS7. But I know enough to realise that after 4 or more years with one interface, it has been hard wired into my psyche ... and ANY change is unbalancing.

So I am just ploughing away with it and I am sure that in a few weeks it will all be fine.

It is how it is, after all :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple never advised that. Apps until iOS 7 were jettisoned after max ten minutes, unless they were location aware apps. Or music players. One or two others, and those apps can be seen to be using the location in the toolbar, or in the privacy settings.

VOIP apps as well. Which I'm pretty sure can't be properly killed from the multitasking screen. You have to log out of them.

Afaik regular apps are still killed by the OS after 10 minutes, unless background refresh is enabled in which the case the OS allows them limited background time depending on how frequently used they are.

Absolutely not. the OS handles that for them.
    I mis-spoke .... I mean Push Email :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

haven't had any issues on my iPhone 4 as of yet, big improvements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I've found something I really don't like straight away, when using the control centre from the lock screen all you have to do is going into one of the apps like the calculator and then press the home button and you have access to the home screen, all apps, settings etc. it makes the passcode I've set up pointless, I've turned off control centre on the lock screen, but you can do the very same with the camera app from the lock screen, very annoying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I've found something I really don't like straight away, when using the control centre from the lock screen all you have to do is going into one of the apps like the calculator and then press the home button and you have access to the home screen, all apps, settings etc. it makes the passcode I've set up pointless, I've turned off control centre on the lock screen, but you can do the very same with the camera app from the lock screen, very annoying.

Looks like an issue on your end, on my iPhone 5, when i press the home button, i go back to the locked screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

I'm unable to replicate this.

There is a bug involving control centre but it doesn't give you access to the home screen.

I mis-spoke .... I mean Push Email :-)

Yes. That I turn off all the time. It seems to be reset in every os release though.

• Advertisement

I only use push for my iCloud email, which I assume goes through Apple's PNS along with app notifications.

Advertisement