Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 7 GM/Public Release

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I don't like the UI for the most part and the OS was released too early but there are huge gains in the software. control centre, navigation centre, background apps, auto updating, better folders, bigger email cache, unlimited tabs in safari, better position for search when you get used to it, better photos ui and functionality, better music and videos app with all your bought music visible ( i had cleared up the device by relegating bought but not very often played music to the cloud, where it can still be streamed), better actions when swiping in email, and lots of minor fixes and additions like the timer on the lock screen etc.

Despite all that I reverted to 6 because I thought it laggy and buggy on the 4S. I don't like the unified toolbars, the transitions are a pain. A few shadows would make a lot of difference. I do like the flatter icons, however. I will update to 7.1 when it comes out.

Apple's real issue is that they have to release with the hardware, decoupling hardware and software releases would go a long way to a better software release cycle.

I found it very laggy on my 4s as well after the update. I then wiped the phone and set up as new and it's been running perfectly.

The battery was also terrible but after resetting I then let the battery die and fully charged it. It's running nicely, only lost like 5% in over two hours of light use. Whereas pre wipe I was losing loads and to be clear the battery was perfect right before I updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I've found something I really don't like straight away, when using the control centre from the lock screen all you have to do is going into one of the apps like the calculator and then press the home button and you have access to the home screen, all apps, settings etc. it makes the passcode I've set up pointless, I've turned off control centre on the lock screen, but you can do the very same with the camera app from the lock screen, very annoying.
    I think the solution to that is to reduce the amount of time required for a Passcode. Settings=> General=> Passcode Lock => Require Passcode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Just wondering can you move back to 6 as long as they are still signing it or do you need to save your blobs and use software like Redsn0w?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Piliger wrote: »
    As regards the above points I really had to laugh at No1. Earthhorse :-)
    No2: I have tested mine and I can definitively say there is absolutely no delay whatsoever. Another amusing one though :-)
    No3: If you start your swipe below the screen you will get the Control Centre. If you start within the page then you get scroll. I have absolutely no problems with this.
    No4: I don't have my iPad at the moment. But if I had I would still be laughing ...
    No5: Same as No3.

Like I say, they're niggles.

The issue isn't really with change, no, but rather change for the sake of it. Was anyone crying out for a number pad or keyboard redesign? Or for the bookmark bar in Safari to move? I doubt it. A lot of updates to software, whether it's Facebook, gmail or iOS just seem to be busy work so people can justify their existence. I've seen one post in the last few pages where someone has explained why they find the new OS better, most of the rest of them just seem to be vague praise for no reason in particular.

Also, I'm not the only one who noticed a keyboard issue:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/1mqzl7/slow_keyboard_on_ios7/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Effectively it's a beta release. Like any software which had to meet a deadline rather than be released to criteria. They needed a release when the iPhones were available. So the GM had to come last week to get on the phones - meanwhile a big bug on new phones was missed hence 7.0.1 - however I bet that 7.1 is the business. It will be released when ready.

Them ill go back to 7. With no regrets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I've no volume on my 4S after the update unless I plug in some earphones. The slider bar used to turn up volume in the music player is greyed out and won't let me slide it up or down unless earphones are plugged in. Any ideas as to how I might go about fixing this? Is it a common occurence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭iniall

Btr wrote: »
    I've managed to put FaceTime in a folder . Still no action on stocks, weather etc but I'm wondering if this ain't a Google Ireland issue ?

Eh? What have Google got to do with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does anyone use Pocket Casts or Instacasts? I'm looking for a new Podcasts app designed for iOS 7 but can't decide between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Not sure if this was mention but I downloaded iMovie and iPhoto for free I was

under the impression it was free with all new iOS devices sold just a heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Anyone have any problems charging?

Before the update, plug in the 4s and it'd charge rapidly. Now, it's taking so long.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Before the update, plug in the 4s and it'd charge rapidly. Now, it's taking so long.

Any ideas?

I would do a reset and get everything going again.

Also, is it redownloading music/videos from iCloud? That could be eating batterries as it charges?

My 4s is still downloading 3000 tracks from iCloud which is a pain.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would do a reset and get everything going again.

Also, is it redownloading music/videos from iCloud? That could be eating batterries as it charges?

My 4s is still downloading 3000 tracks from iCloud which is a pain.

I did a reset and there's no music, pictures or anything on my phone ATM so nothing's downloading. I'm not using iCloud either.

Just annoying I guess. When it's fully charged, I've noticed the battery isn't decreasing as fast as before iOS7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

iniall wrote: »
    Eh? What have Google got to do with it?

Google is the source for some of that data as far as I can trace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Does anyone use Pocket Casts or Instacasts? I'm looking for a new Podcasts app designed for iOS 7 but can't decide between them.
    I am using Downcast and love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Any ideas?
    Btr wrote: »
    Google is the source for some of that data as far as I can trace

Sorry my mistake Yahoo not Google - Apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I did a reset and there's no music, pictures or anything on my phone ATM so nothing's downloading. I'm not using iCloud either.

Just annoying I guess. When it's fully charged, I've noticed the battery isn't decreasing as fast as before iOS7.

OK, no music or pictures and you don't use iCloud.

Why do you a smartphone then?:D

murpho999 wrote: »
    OK, no music or pictures and you don't use iCloud.

Why do you a smartphone then?:D

Internet. ;)

I do use photos, but they're all backed up on the laptop atm.. So nothing on the phone besides apps. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

50*[9-2] = 350

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Piliger wrote: »
    I am using Downcast and love it.

Already have Downcast and not mad about it. Must give the latest version a shot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I've used instacast for a while and it's been great but I just can't get syncing working. What I like about Instacast is the badge icon reminding me how many to listen to; Pocket Casts doesn't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I think the solution to that is to reduce the amount of time required for a Passcode. Settings=> General=> Passcode Lock => Require Passcode

You were dead right for some reason the amount of time changed from 1 minute to 30 when updating.

Zcott wrote: »
    I've used instacast for a while and it's been great but I just can't get syncing working. What I like about Instacast is the badge icon reminding me how many to listen to; Pocket Casts doesn't do that.

Downcast does also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

the iwork apps are free to anyone who bought a new device after 1st sept. However as i previously posted, i bought a new ipad last weekend and after updating to ios7, expected to receive a notification that the iwork suite plus iphoto & imovie await me as a free download. unfortunately not so, as when i go into the app store on my ipad they are 8.99.

UPDATE
    i rang apple yesterday and they were surprised to find this to be the case. They checked my settings, account ,apple ID etc and then replicated the issue at their end. The support guy contacted the itunes store techs and notified them of the issue.
    Got a phone call 30 mins later confirming there was indeed a bug in their auth servers and it would resolved within 24hrs.

well i got another phone call today at 6:30 from apple, to ask me to revisit the app store where i would find them for free. I did and they were.

Well done Cupertino.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

DubDJ wrote: »
    Seems like backing up your device and restoring iOS 7 will fix this issue. Couldn't find any other helpful fixes.

Found the info on this thread.

I've tried this and still to no avail. 'Connect to itunes for push notifications' still comes up every single time I open Whatsapp. It's very annoying. Anyone else have suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭juniorBman

My girlfriend has updated her 4S but is finding it ridiculously slow. In particular when she's typing texts or browsing it's taking anything up to 10 seconds for the letters/numbers to appear on screen! Can anyone offer any advise on the problem? Is it a phone problem or a problem with the update? Am I.T. illiterate myself so any advise appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Your best bet is to restore through iTunes and then restore from an iCloud backup. Just make sure iCloud backup is on in the settings and that there's been an iCloud backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭juniorBman

Thanks Zcott. Will get her to try that
    Zcott wrote: »
    Your best bet is to restore through iTunes and then restore from an iCloud backup. Just make sure iCloud backup is on in the settings and that there's been an iCloud backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

juniorBman wrote: »
    My girlfriend has updated her 4S but is finding it ridiculously slow. In particular when she's typing texts or browsing it's taking anything up to 10 seconds for the letters/numbers to appear on screen! Can anyone offer any advise on the problem? Is it a phone problem or a problem with the update? Am I.T. illiterate myself so any advise appreciated.

Had that initially on my 4s, did a hard reset (hold down both sleep/wake button and the home button until apple logo appears) and was much improved after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

juniorBman wrote: »
    Thanks Zcott. Will get her to try that

Using it on a 4s and find it Ok, I'm completely non-techie but happy with the upgrade. Battery life seems to be better as well.

• Advertisement

If the install is showing any problems, a hard reset should be the first step as a matter of course

Advertisement