Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland

• 12-09-2013 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

Has the time come for the FAI and IFA to settle their differences and get a proper unified Ireland team together? I know people are going to say Northern Ireland are crap etc and probably apart from Jonny Evans, Chris Brunt and Gareth McAuley most of their players would struggle to make our squad but the benefits outweigh and negatives imo. Even though we have pinched James McClean, Marc Wilson and Shane Duffy from them recently.

The success of the rugby team is a testament to this and they have to my mind never had a problem with the obvious secterian issues up north as they have adopted neutral emblems and a neutral anthem. Golf and cricket could also be used as examples of this.

The main issue is the state of the domestic leagues, with them operating with mostly if not all semi-professional clubs. The LOI in particular has had the embarrassing situation with major clubs like Shelbourne, Shamrock Rovers, Cork and Derry all having suffered relegation mostly due to financial trouble. A reunified league should lead to greater competition and ignite intercity rivalies between clubs from Derry, Belfast, Cork and Dublin for example which could spark more attendances and get people going to games again.

The ultimate aim of the domestic league should be to get teams into the Champs League and drive revenue into the league. UEFA have 53 countres on the ranking system, Ireland is 36 and Northern Ireland is 47. We both share the honour of never having once had a team in the Champs League with a list mostly made up of former Soviet and Yugoslav states with countries like Iceland, Faroe Islands, Wales, Liechtenstein, Andorra, San Marino, Malta, Albania, Bosnia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Armenia and Azerbaijan.

For the record our national team is ranked on FIFA above 11 countries that have had teams in the Champs League like Slovenia, Scotland, Bulgaria, Austria, Turkey, Slovakia, Israel, Finland, Poland, Belarus and Cyprus.

The national team could follow the example of Germany where they don't play at the same stadiums and generally rotate. Windsor Park is due to be redeveloped and we have Lansdowne. That would potentially keep interest higher with football being served to both Belfast and Dublin and we should look into playing more at Thomond and bring football to parts of the island where rugby and GAA take preference.

The only negatives are secterian issues up north but that doesn't show it's head in rugby. It's definitely worth exploring but with cushy positions being held in high places within both FA's I doubt it will be considered until the political landscape changes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I would love to see a United Ireland team but it ain't gonna happen for the foreseeable future. Too many obstacles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No too much of a headache. Also I think it will take years of work to achieve and would have to start at underage levels first for years to even attempt bringing together the senior sides. Also the IFA and FAI have too many sponsorship, TV deals and various other monetary commitments to just get up and walk out. Also the IFA have been recently been given state aid from the UK to redevelop Windsor park.

Also what's the point? Realistically they only have Evans at the minute and they are a joke of an organisation. The IFA is in a worse state than the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Great idea!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Terrible idea. Would FIFA even allow it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Terrible idea. Would FIFA even allow it?
    FIFA have never been fully enamoured with the UK being able to enter four separate teams, plus the permanent vice-presidency - though I think that's been altered recently). Anything to reduce the number of teams would probably be welcomed (although I'd suspect they'd rather NI merged with the one of the other UK teams)

• Advertisement

I used to do it on football manager all the time, make 1 nation called United States of Ireland.

If it happened in the morning I'd be ecstatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You would basically be taking a team away from the people in the north who don't see themselves as Irish. Any player born up there who feels Irish can play for us if they want already, don't see any reason to change it.

Jim Boyce is a vice president at FIFA now. FIFA want to give UK presidency to UEFA but I don't think that's resolved yet.

You would basically be taking a team away from the people in the north who don't see themselves as Irish. Any player born up there who feels Irish can play for us if they want already, don't see any reason to change it.

I suppose if there was a United Ireland sometime in the future, then it would be looked at but not before then.
    Plenty of people in other countries dont have any great affinity to their country but to area/province they come from and they still play for the nation. Catalonia and Basque region are probably the best known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Their team represents something that is nothing to do with the Republic of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No
    You would have to have segregation between the "ok2boo" types and the union flag flying nordie types.

Plus neither association will wish to yield any power, remember the IFA are the original association and the FAI are the splitters

Plus I the kind of person the believes in the 26 county state I have lived in all my life, I respect the anthem and the flag and am proud of that, that would be lost in a united Ireland team

And while I'm at it, how would Bray Wanderers v Crusaders be more exciting than Bray Wanderers v Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You do realise that Northern Ireland football fans despise us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Luxembourg says no.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Given that any player from the North can play for the Republic, we effectively do have an all-island team.

I'd be more interested in there being an all-island league. If we had that and restructured it (i.e. franchise out one team per city), we might be able to draw in enough support to sustain a league that can put one team in the Champions League on a reasonably regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No, the IFA can go do one really.

If I'd to pick between the better of the two, the FAI wins everytime.

Fcuk no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How many of the clubs would be happy with the reduced number of European qualification spots and the increased competition for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

tolosenc wrote: »
    Given that any player from the North can play for the Republic, we effectively do have an all-island team.

I'd be more interested in there being an all-island league. If we had that and restructured it (i.e. franchise out one team per city), we might be able to draw in enough support to sustain a league that can put one team in the Champions League on a reasonably regular basis.

Think it's a bad idea. The amount of travel involved would put players off especially squad players. Would you take a Friday and Saturday off work to spend 6 or 7 hours on a bus to sit on the bench getting paid pittance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It will never happen, only works in Rugby as it was never spilt *as far as i am aware of*, maybe if the FAI had not of split from the IFA things might have been different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

FAI is the splinter organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Think it's a bad idea. The amount of travel involved would put players off especially squad players. Would you take a Friday and Saturday off work to spend 6 or 7 hours on a bus to sit on the bench getting paid pittance.

You mean like Derry players do?

From Derry to Dublin it is max 4 hours now. Dublin to Belfast can be done in 1.5 hours.

Only real long travel would be from Derry / Belfast to Cork / Limerick / Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You mean like Derry players do?

From Derry to Dublin it is max 4 hours now. Dublin to Belfast can be done in 1.5 hours.

Only real long travel would be from Derry / Belfast to Cork / Limerick / Galway

Waterford and Wexford also are huge trips to the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Norn Iron's support are for the most part drawn from the PUL community, witness a prominent NI football journalist on twitter y'day saying he'd rather support a NI team losing to Luxembourg then support an all-Ireland team winning the World Cup!

There's no chance they'll back a united Ireland team even if historically there was one Ireland team. We have the upper hand however, The ROI are already a de facto all-island team because of the GFA.
    Waterford and Wexford also are huge trips to the North.

Surely Donegal & Derry are longer trips for SE teams then going to Belfast/NE Ireland where most Irish league teams are based? Though I support the idea of having seperate north & south national teams, in the interest of self-preservation I'd like to see an all-island league as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Well sounds lovely in theory in practice not so much. Just look at the problems we've had in Setanta Cup matches with Linfield fans raising a Jack on a pole in Tallaght and various other sectarian incidents. Also just listen to some of the chants in Windsor, its all on YT and you'll quickly realise you wont want to be associated with that lot.
    They are spending money on a redeveloped Windsor so I doubt they'll want to see that become a white elephant if the Aviva becomes the home ground.
    And on a selfish note I don't want to see my anthem and my flag replaced, they too will loathe having to give up singing GSTQ and flying the Union Jack. The NI team has always been used as a propaganda machine for Unionism.
    The ROI team is a de-facto 32 county team for anyone who identifies as Irish as it is.

Finn Harps...?

As a Harps fan id be strongly in favour of a all Ireland league at least, better chance of playing teams 2-3 hours away rather that Cork,Limerick,Waterford etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This.

I'm a proud Irish man, but I respect the position of people who want to identify as British or Northern Irish. This is also the majority position in Northern Ireland, let's not forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

We would lose our national anthem, our flag and our "republic" title.

We would gain a bunch of bigots and a few crap players.

1 team? No thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Westwood Coleman Evans McCauley Wilson Macarthy Gibson McGeady Brunt Brady Long or Keane Looks a better side than now im in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This.

I'm a proud Irish man, but I respect the position of people who want to identify as British or Northern Irish. This is also the majority position in Northern Ireland, let's not forget.
    Yeah self determination for people born in the 6 counties is part of the GFA, but I'm looking at it in terms of the greater good.
    Would it not create a stronger team? stronger grass roots and stronger domestic league? A stronger domestic league would limit Irish players languishing the 3rd and 4th tiers in England. I remember Rosenborg of Norway getting into the Champs League nearly every year, even getting a club close to it like Rovers last year and playing in the Europa regularly would be a lure to both players and fans. By Irish clubs not playing in Europe players never have a chance to showcase themselves which means English clubs can buy them at a pittance like Doyle, Long, Coleman and McClean in recent memory.
    Anyway I know there's advantages and disadvantages to it but was just throwing the idea out there, it's worth thinking about it even while we get ready to appoint a Derryman as our manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

You would basically be taking a team away from the people in the north

Logically the Republic of Ireland should be the country to have their team taken away if there ever is a reunification.

After all, the IFA were there first (the FAI are just a breakaway organisation) and also the prior the split in 1921 90% of the Ireland games were played in Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hannibal wrote: »
    Yeah self determination for people born in the 6 counties is part of the GFA, but I'm looking at it in terms of the greater good.
    Would it not create a stronger team? stronger grass roots and stronger domestic league? A stronger domestic league would limit Irish players languishing the 3rd and 4th tiers in England. I remember Rosenborg of Norway getting into the Champs League nearly every year, even getting a club close to it like Rovers last year and playing in the Europa regularly would be a lure to both players and fans. By Irish clubs not playing in Europe players never have a chance to showcase themselves which means English clubs can buy them at a pittance like Doyle, Long, Coleman and McClean in recent memory.
    Anyway I know there's advantages and disadvantages to it but was just throwing the idea out there, it's worth thinking about it even while we get ready to appoint a Derryman as our manager.

How exactly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

To have one Irish league you'd need one international team, and to have one international team, you'd need to have one league

That's the biggest problem in terms of red tape anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I would love to see it happen just to see what happens with the anthems.

Amhran na bhFiann should be insisted as the new all-island national anthem just to see the reaction.

Can you imagine the IFA and unionist supports trying to to get some sort of compromise so that both sides are represented when they still insist on playing GSTQ before games. Thus alienating a significant proportion of the country that they are supposed to represent.

The guaranteed hypocrisy of it all would be hilarious :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Hannibal wrote: »

The national team could follow the example of Germany where they don't play at the same stadiums and generally rotate. Windsor Park is due to be redeveloped and we have Lansdowne. That would potentially keep interest higher with football being served to both Belfast and Dublin

I'm sure we'd me made feel most welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

They're two different countries. You can't just throw them together because they have a centre back who plays for United now and again.

Your man Messi looks decent. Maybe we should join up with Argentina. A front three of Keane, Long and Messi would surely take us to the world cup.

Or we could join an oceanic country for an easier qualification group.

• Advertisement

Oh and fuck using rugby as an example for how anything should ever be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

AgileMyth wrote: »

Your man Messi looks decent. Maybe we should join up with Argentina. A front three of Keane, Long and Messi would surely take us to the world cup.

Or we could join an oceanic country for an easier qualification group.

These are both good ideas, but the first one will only work if Messi is instructed to not pass the ball to Long or Keane.

roanoke wrote: »
    These are both good ideas, but the first one will only work if Messi is instructed to not pass the ball to Long or Keane.
    We're playing him in the hole behind Keane. Sure Keanes got way more international goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

It will never happen because of the two associations. One would have to go. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas afterall..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Oh and fuck using rugby as an example for how anything should ever be done.

Great point. Clearly needs no clarification whatsoever... :confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah that league idea sounds good. Not sure about one club per city though, you'd be stepping on a lot of toes there, and you'd be nearly back to the 12 team league again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There was a discussion on this on BBC NI's Talkback programme yesterday. You can listen to the podcast here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/talkback

Most of those who called and tweeted in were against the idea. Eamon Dunphy was a contributor and said he was against the idea as he thinks there are two distinct cultures on the island. He also again backed O'Neill for the Ireland job.

My favourite part was about 12 minutes in where Dunphy says 'football is a dying sport' and that 'Spain have had a golden generation, but there's no evidence at all to suggest they'll be as good in the future.'

I'm not making that up. I guess Spain retaining their U-21 European Championship title this year doesn't count for a lot.

Advertisement