Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress Help - Removing Comments section

Options
  • 12-09-2013 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭

Hi, I hope I'm asking this in the correct place.

I've just started using WordPress. I've made a couple of site I'm pretty happy with.

But I'd like to remove the Comments section that shows up on every page. Is there some easy way of identifying this part in the editor and removing it? (My html knowledge is reasonable, i'm okay up to a point, digging around in the code.)

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

there is a setting
    'Automatically close comments on articles older than'
    if you set it to 0 would that not allow the comment?

just tried that does not work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Hi, I hope I'm asking this in the correct place.

I've just started using WordPress. I've made a couple of site I'm pretty happy with.

But I'd like to remove the Comments section that shows up on every page. Is there some easy way of identifying this part in the editor and removing it? (My html knowledge is reasonable, i'm okay up to a point, digging around in the code.)

Thanks in advance. :)

No need to go near any code. On your dashboard click pages, under each page you want to turn off comments, click quick edit, tick comments on/off and save.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

mayo.mick wrote: »
    No need to go near any code. On your dashboard click pages, under each page you want to turn off comments, click quick edit, tick comments on/off and save.

I'll try that. It looks promising.

I already used the editor to comment out the first five lines of "comments.php" and that seemed to work too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I already used the editor to comment out the first five lines of "comments.php" and that seemed to work too.

you should be able to do it under settings. cant remember which option

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mrbubbles

There is an option under settings to turn off comments for new posts/pages. If you want to turn it off for all existing posts/pages the easiest way is to run a DB query. This article should have everything you need to know: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-disable-trackbacks-and-pings-on-existing-wordpress-posts/ (of course, depending on the number of pages - and whether you're confident with MYSQL, it may be easier to just go through and do it on a per-post/page basis)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

keep in mind that every time there's a WP update it will get overwritten

Advertisement