Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DELL PowerEdge 1800 : Failing Disk. But which one?

Options
  • 12-09-2013 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are getting "Predictive Failure Alerts" on one of our PowerEdges. It's saying
    System log generated Warning Event 2094 on rci-websvr.root.radius For more information see http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=2094&source=Server Administrator Log: System Type: Warning Event: 2094 Alert Time: 2013-09-08 23:33:28Z Event Time: 10:40:49 PM 8-Sep-2013 UTC Source: Server Administrator Category: Storage Service Username: N/A Computer: RCI-WEBSVR Description: Predictive Failure reported: Array Disk 0:1 Controller 0, Channel 0

We have three drives in the machine, top, middle, bottom. They are raided. I'm going to guess RAID5 but I'm really not sure. This machine was put in well before my time. Is there a way to be certain [without letting the drive actually fail]?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

RangeR wrote: »
    Hi,

We are getting "Predictive Failure Alerts" on one of our PowerEdges. It's saying

We have three drives in the machine, top, middle, bottom. They are raided. I'm going to guess RAID5 but I'm really not sure. This machine was put in well before my time. Is there a way to be certain [without letting the drive actually fail]?

That should be the second disk probably (but not necessarily) the middle one. They're numbered from 0 so 0:0, 0:1 and 0:2.

If you get some disk diagnostics they should show the disks serial number.
    Alternatively, if you're using a RAID controller it's BIOS may show any smart errors and the disks serial number.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cheers. Was hoping not to power down. I'll dig for some diag software first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Do you have dell openmanage installed? If not you could install it and it should let you see the disks.

mbroaders wrote: »
    Do you have dell openmanage installed? If not you could install it and it should let you see the disks.

I'm checking that now. It looks like Server Administrator is installed but disabled [it's a webserver]. I'm going to chance starting the services and see what happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Server Administrator is Open Manager (full name is "open manage server administrator")

On a poweredge 1850 with OMSA 4.5.0 I have the option to blink a disk under:

Storage - <<controller>> - Chanell <<x>> - Backplane - Array Disks - <<disk number>> - <available tasks>>

This will flash the LED of the failed disk.

... may not be necessary though, as the LEDs on the disks might already be flashing orange instead of the usual green activity light.

Brian

• Advertisement

Server Administrator is Open Manager (full name is "open manage server administrator")

On a poweredge 1850 with OMSA 4.5.0 I have the option to blink a disk under:

Storage - <<controller>> - Chanell <<x>> - Backplane - Array Disks - <<disk number>> - <available tasks>>

This will flash the LED of the failed disk.

... may not be necessary though, as the LEDs on the disks might already be flashing orange instead of the usual green activity light.

Brian

You sir, are a genius. Blinked the hell outta that sucka. It's the middle disk. Thanks.

Advertisement