Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical situation advice

Options
  • 12-09-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

My partner needs to get some tests done. She has travel insurance but the kind of tests she will need will not be covered.

Tests are looking like 600 dollars per session and realistically we can not afford this on an ongoing basis. The tests are not urgent and we have a good few months left on our WHV's here so we would like to get this sorted before we leave oz.

She has no pre existing medical conditions and its not pregnancy ;)

What is the best course of action for us? is purchasing private health insurance an option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

danotroy wrote: »
    My partner needs to get some tests done. She has travel insurance but the kind of tests she will need will not be covered.

Tests are looking like 600 dollars per session and realistically we can not afford this on an ongoing basis. The tests are not urgent and we have a good few months left on our WHV's here so we would like to get this sorted before we leave oz.

She has no pre existing medical conditions and its not pregnancy ;)

What is the best course of action for us? is purchasing private health insurance an option?

What are the tests?

Private health insurance could be an option but may exclude because it can be termed as a pre-existing condition.

Plus most have a 2-month wait time.

Also depends on the test (MRI etc) they may not be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

From having a quick look at iselect (Australian Unity) & bupa, it's not clear about pathology. Bupa seem to cover it as long as its performed in hospital by Bupa contracted providers. Cover was $38 a week no extras and $65 with extras.
    But no mention of going along to a Melbourne pathology centre etc
    Both I looked at had a 12mth wait list for pre existing. This was for the overseas visitor insurance on a 417.
    I would speak to someone at Bupa to get a feel for what's covered and the wait period.
    Medicare cover the vast majority of pathology here for those entitled to it and private insurance generally won't cover all of the cost, you'll usually have a gap of anything between 20-75% to pay depending on your premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

So i'm not sure if this is going to be helpful but there is an agreement between Ireland and Australia for reciprocal health cover.

Originally I had thought this was for emergency cover only but i spoke to a lawyer about the health cover requirement of my visa as it stated i needed private cover and he said that the agreement between Ireland and Aus was particularly good and that it was good enough to provide the equivalent cover and I wouldn't need private insurance.

Your passport maybe your golden ticket . I'm not sure exactly how you find out what is and isn't covered but it's worth finding out

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

Just regarding the previous post... the reciprocal agreement will most definitely not cover you for any tests/ procedures carried out that arent a medical emergency... I'm pregnant at the moment and the reciprocal agreement covers anything in the hospital... any tests I've had to get done (bloods, ecg etc) that were not urgent enough to be done in the hospital have had to be paid for... a fraction of which you can claim back from private health but as previously mentioned there are up to 12 month waiting periods from the start of the cover in order to avail of this.

If it is not urgent and she is happy to wait to get them done then wait until you get home...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Elfman wrote: »
    So i'm not sure if this is going to be helpful but there is an agreement between Ireland and Australia for reciprocal health cover.
    Won't apply, it only covers emergency treatment. Certainly not tests aren't urgent.
    Originally I had thought this was for emergency cover only but i spoke to a lawyer about the health cover requirement of my visa as it stated i needed private cover and he said that the agreement between Ireland and Aus was particularly good and that it was good enough to provide the equivalent cover and I wouldn't need private insurance.
    I'm guessing this was a 457 visa. Which only requires emergency cover, ie so you are covered in case of an accident or something and not a liability for the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Thanks for all the info guys! contacted a few medical professionals and as she is under 25 family planning victoria can help as they offer medical services young people. They offer a woman health service which my partner will be using for $35 for the year.

Advertisement