Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with my little girls clothes not she grown out of them

Options
  • 12-09-2013 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey

I have too children an son 4 who and a daughter 3 I used to give my two sister in laws my kids clothes when they grown out of them now my sister in law with a little girl said she no longer wants the clothes as they are last season. I know have two and when I finishing putting away the summer clothes I will have three huge back sacks of clothes ranging from 2 to 3 to 3 to 4 and I know no one with a girl who I could ask would they like them but I also don't want to insult someone by asking if they want the clothes. I tried the charity shops but they said no as there was too much!!!!

The clothes are mostly next and rest H & m and Debenhams any ideas what to do with them I am in Carlow.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Last season? Does she mean spring / summer or 2012/2013????

I would take them off your hands but I'm too far away. You could sell them on done deal, adverts.

Ring SVDP, women's aid, or your favourite children's charity and they might have a collection point in a car park or recycling centre near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I sell all my ones on adverts.ie. great way of making a few bob and there is quite a high demand on that site for good quality used children's clothing, especially girls stuff. Also great to do a clear out to sell instead of just binning them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Your sister in law may have more money than sense. I'd take them in a heartbeat if you were near me. All my child's clothes are hand-me-downs, apart from swimwear, undies and a nice party dress that I couldn't resist in a shop. What's the point in buying brand new clothes when they grow out of after a couple of wears.

Anyway, most charity shops will take good condition clothes. Even better if you have them sorted.

Or maybe stick a note on your facebook asking people to message you if they would like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I would also jump at them if I was in Carlow as I have a daughter that's almost 2 & a niece that's 4 months behind her. Unfortunately I'm in Dublin, so a bit far away.

You could sell on Facebook - Childrens Items Exchange. Stuff moves quite fast on it. Other options are Adverts (mentioned below), Gumtree or Donedeal. If there's a womens refuge in your area either, I'm sure they'd appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Jeez - if your sister-in-law means what I think she means, then she deserves a sharp slap upside the head.

I'm in Carlow, and if my little one wasn't turning turning 8 on Sunday I'd take them of your hands ;) I used to love getting bags of clothes, it was like going on a huge shopping spree & couldn't remember what you bought.
    We actually got a bag of clothes this summer she loved wearing them. We had a one hour fashion show. Lots of fun for a little girl.

I can ask for you. There is a girl up the road that is just after having a baby, nearly a year now. She might appreciate them. My neighbour across the road also had a 14 month old.

EDIT: I remember getting one bag when the she was a toddler, & there was a lot of designer stuff in it. She would get destroyed & I wouldn't care. Nothing like paint, and ingrained dirt in something Gucci.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,048 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

More than one charity shop turned down 2 black sacks because there was "too much"? I find that hard to believe.

If you want money for them sell them on adverts.ie, or you could bring them to one of those cash-for-clothes places.

If you want to give them away put a post on jumbletown.ie, or put them in the clothes recycling bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I've heard of a number of charity shops refusing clothes recently. Saw on another page, someone had a buggy that was refused, but a womens refuge was delighted with it.

If they're good quality, I'd check out that they reuse the clothes, rather than just recycle the material. There are also facebook pages like Dublin Mamas Freecycle (probably one closer to you) where people would bite your hand off for them. I've recently gotten a bed rail & gro blinds from them, a great resource for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

If I had a car or you were in Dublin I would not be one bit ashamed to take them. A lot of my daughters clothes were from friends with daughters already. We have toss all income at the moment so we are more than grateful of anything our friends/family do. Your sis is being a bit snobby IMO, as you said, they are not low quality, and kids are in them for only so long. I donate my son's clothes on a fb site, but it is a Dublin one. In one year he accumulated 3 bags worth, and I kept a fourth one of all the favourites in case I ever have another boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey

Thanks for responses yes my sister in law means it because they were bought this time last year she got a load of baby stuff from me such as buggy cots cribs everything and never even said thanks then it was my 30th last week and herself and the husband sent me a 4eur quickpick lotto ticket.

Now I wasn't expecting an present as didn't have a party or anything but as my mam put it you give her thousands worth of clothes prams and the like and she gives you 4eur and a text message saying she no longer wants clothes they are not low income one a teacher other an accountant.

Sorry had to get that rant out she texted me again today to say to remember she doesn't need clothes so need to bring them down to her this weekend.

I don't know whether I sell them if I was to how much should I charge per bag.

Yes the charity shops told me there was too much and they didn't want that much childrens stuff

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Pretty much all my little girls clothes are second hand and I'm delighted to get them. Most of my sons baby clothes were passed on to me and then about 4 other babies. It's only when I have to buy a few bits and pieces I realize how expensive it would be to have to buy everything new.

You can usually sell as a bundle on adverts or if you don't fancy doing that you could look up the nearest women's refuge.

If I've no one to pass things on to I prefer to give the kids clothes to a refuge rather than a charity shop. I feel they need them most.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would sell them on adverts.ie or donedeal.ie or do a swop with someone where they need bigger boys and you need bigger girls clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

there is a special facebook page for reselling next clothes specifically. adverts is great, bundle into small bundles though, not sacks.
    I do not buy new clothes for the children, pretty much ever, apart from socks, shoes and undies. My mom buys pjs all the time and everything else comes from friends and goes to friends. my kids dont care and/or like that they have a friendsjacket or dress.
    There are photos of my cousins child, my niece, my daughter, and three other cousins daughters in the same monsoon cardi. It is cool.
    Crazy woman.
    The SVP shop in Kilcullen, if that is near you will not turn them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Snobby cow! I didn't even realise there were 'seasons' for kids' clothes:eek:

Let her off wasting her money on brand new stuff, but I'd get a dig in the next time she's complaining about money. If it were me, I'd sell it in any of the places suggested above and buy myself something nice like a handbag from the proceeds, making sure to tell her how nice it was to get a few quid for them and treat yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

We are the first one have kids in our family, so pretty much everything we had to buy, I would love to have someone hand down their kids clothes n toys to me, pity we don't have any.

Something I did with my kids clothes....

and actually a LOT of the clothes my daughter wears are "hand me downs" from the older generations :)

but I love pulling out some of them and ripping the crap out of them :p

No I am not a crazy angry violent person :p

But I love crocheting old clothes into a blanket, or a memorial, or some kind of tribute to the children who wore them.

Pick out the material that will mean a lot to people, that the kids wore a lot or there was some event that the kids wore those clothes at..... and keep them, rip them to shreds, and sew or crochet them into some kind of memorial to the past.

Whatever pile of clothes you have there is always SOMETHING in there that means something to someone. And seeing it again is going to touch something inside them. A memory of their kid, their grand kid, neice, nephew, cousin, you get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

More than one charity shop turned down 2 black sacks because there was "too much"? I find that hard to believe.

It's weird but charity shops find it next to impossible to sell baby/childrenswear. Unless the clothing is brand new and/or designer their punters just don't want to buy them. The same is true for children's books. I don't understand it at all as there is a decent market for secondhand children's clothing online or at the baby markets but not with the majority of charity shop customers. Unless it's an absolute exception, kids stuff that is donated to charity shops almost always ends up being recycled rather than sold. It's actually pretty upsetting for the shop staff and volunteers.
    Oral Slang wrote: »
    I've heard of a number of charity shops refusing clothes recently. Saw on another page, someone had a buggy that was refused, but a womens refuge was delighted with it.

Charity shops aren't usually allowed to sell used buggies/prams. Some do but they could get into serious trouble for it and lose their insurance, meaning the shop could have to shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

iguana wrote: »
    It's weird but charity shops find it next to impossible to sell baby/childrenswear. Unless the clothing is brand new and/or designer their punters just don't want to buy them. The same is true for children's books. I don't understand it at all as there is a decent market for secondhand children's clothing online or at the baby markets but not with the majority of charity shop customers. Unless it's an absolute exception, kids stuff that is donated to charity shops almost always ends up being recycled rather than sold. It's actually pretty upsetting for the shop staff and volunteers.

i was in the SVDP shop here in Cork dropping off few bags of adult clothes when i overheard the staff working there telling someone else they don't take anymore childrens stuff, they had a rail full of childrens clothes and a corner full of old toys and books,

i had a look myself but they had nothing in my daughters size, i don't care where she gets her clothes from, one wash and they are as good as new,

the irish cancer shop used always take childrens clothes off of us, again they were designer clothes with tags still on them my daughter grew out of before she could wear them, so maybe try there if not the patchwork quilt i think is an amazing idea! :)

• Administrators Posts: 14,048 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It's weird but charity shops find it next to impossible to sell baby/childrenswear.

I suppose when children's clothes can be bought so cheaply in Penneys etc that people don't see the point in getting them in charity shops (unless they are designer etc)?

Although when my 1st was born my mother bought 10 handknitted cardigans for €1. €1 for the 10 of them. She was delighted, but thought it was a shame. I'm sure the person who took the time to knit them, didn't think they'd sell them for 10c each.

She went back a few weeks later, and they were €2 each!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

You could try eBay OP.

I've often seen clothes bundles (basically a bundle of clothes within the same size range) that sell, often a bundle can go for €20+ depending on whats in it, branding, condition of clothing etc.

Sometimes postage is free or sometimes its extra on top of the clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

If you don't find a taker I would love them :-) not for selling on btw I have a 2 year old girl bursting out of stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Charity shops aren't usually allowed to sell used buggies/prams. Some do but they could get into serious trouble for it and lose their insurance, meaning the shop could have to shut down.

I saw a baby car seat for sale in a charity shop a couple of weeks ago ... I was pretty shocked, as I've heard several times that it's one thing you should never buy secondhand, especially if you don't know its history!

As for clothes, I'd certainly have no problem with my child wearing secondhand clothing, so long as it was in decent condition. However kids seem to get SO much clothes as gifts and as hand-me-downs from friends/family, and as someone else mentioned, you can buy new kids clothes very cheap these days. So I'm not really surprised that they don't sell very well in charity shops.

Might be worth approaching SVDP or a similar charity directly, to see if they might know of a particular family who might appreciate the clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

It's weird but charity shops find it next to impossible to sell baby/childrenswear. Unless the clothing is brand new and/or designer their punters just don't want to buy them.

I wonder is it because they charge far too much for them.

*This is one of my rants, charity shops charging three euro for something that was bought in Penny's, Tesco's etc. Especially kids stuff. When I can go down to Penny's and buy leggings for my daughter for 2 euro in a sale, I'm not going to give a charity shop 3 euro for them second hand.

I have seen items from the cheap shops in charity shops for 5 - 10 euros which is crazy.

Here is the FB page for Carlow stuff for sale. Put the clothes up there.

Advertisement