Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas

Options
  • 12-09-2013 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

I see the old xtra-vision in Douglas has a Letting Agreed sign up - anyone know who or what's going in there? The sign had said there was planning permission for a café/retail unit but I've not heard any names thrown around.

On a related note, has anyone heard any more about the cinema & its being replaced by a lidl/aldi?

And wasn't there talk of a drive-through going in by Douglas Court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I read somewhere HMV have agreed to share space with Xtravision, and one was Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

JohnK wrote: »

And wasn't there talk of a drive-through going in by Douglas Court?

A drive through what?
    Isn't McD's a drive through?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Mushy wrote: »
    I read somewhere HMV have agreed to share space with Xtravision, and one was Douglas.
    Thats interesting, probably them so. I was wondering what sort of place could be going in there as there's already about 7 coffee shops in the area and would seem a bit pointless to put another shop right next to centra.
    A drive through what?
    Isn't McD's a drive through?
    Yeah McD's is a drive through alright but planning permission was given to build a second drive through across the road by Douglas Court nearly 2 years ago now (http://thecorknews.ie/articles/second-drive-thru-given-go-ahead-douglas) but I've not heard anything since then. I remember there had been talk that Dinos were looking to put a drive through in Douglas but that was a long while back. I had been thinking it might be a KFC since they'd be sure to do more business in Douglas than in Eastgate where they currently have a drive through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I hope they don't, I know the cinema is kinda old but I love it, would much prefer to see them put money in doing it up not fancy fancy but a bit of a polish than a another food place or some other restaurant. In fairness kids must be bored off the nut there is nothing except food and pubs there

Yeah I'd agree, I'd much prefer the cinema to another shop - its not as if we're short of places to shop in Douglas after all. Now I have to admit its years since I've been to the cinema in Douglas but thats just down to the state of it, if they did it up a bit I'd be in there like a shot as its location is so convenient compared to Mahon Point.

• Advertisement

Yep, it isn't the worst cheaper than Mahon point too but defiantly it could do with a spruce up. Wed normally go there as to Mahon point just to support the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Thats interesting, probably them so. I was wondering what sort of place could be going in there as there's already about 7 coffee shops in the area and would seem a bit pointless to put another shop right next to centra.

Yeah McD's is a drive through alright but planning permission was given to build a second drive through across the road by Douglas Court nearly 2 years ago now (http://thecorknews.ie/articles/second-drive-thru-given-go-ahead-douglas) but I've not heard anything since then. I remember there had been talk that Dinos were looking to put a drive through in Douglas but that was a long while back. I had been thinking it might be a KFC since they'd be sure to do more business in Douglas than in Eastgate where they currently have a drive through.

Really hope that doesn't happen....there's enough fast food places in Douglas. No need for a KFC too

• Registered Users Posts: 30,587 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know somebody who works with kfc and they told me that kfc has being interested in Douglas with a bit but they got put off by the flooding for a while however they are meant to be keen on opening in Douglas again.

It is just like an outdoor mahon point.. I really hope they dont

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This is vaguely related to the topic... Does anyone know when the Tesco Express on Douglas road is opening? Looks like they were stocking the shelves today, so I'm hoping very soon!

• Advertisement

There was a post in the jobs thread that Tesco are after advertising for staff in that store so it can't be long now.

I drove past earlier and it looks fairly open, but I couldn't get close enough to see properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Yeah I'd agree, I'd much prefer the cinema to another shop - its not as if we're short of places to shop in Douglas after all. Now I have to admit its years since I've been to the cinema in Douglas but thats just down to the state of it, if they did it up a bit I'd be in there like a shot as its location is so convenient compared to Mahon Point.

Got clamped there last week, parked at back for 15mins while running in to ptsb to lodge €90 in a hurry, came out and had to pay €120, net 30 loss, not a happy camper...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Dbu wrote: »
    Got clamped there last week, parked at back for 15mins while running in to ptsb to lodge €90 in a hurry, came out and had to pay €120, net 30 loss, not a happy camper...:mad:

I pulled over in douglas to take a phonecall... traffic warden was over to me in less than 2 mins trying to give me a ticket.

I was IN the car ffs.

pwurple wrote: »
    I pulled over in douglas to take a phonecall... traffic warden was over to me in less than 2 mins trying to give me a ticket.

I was IN the car ffs.

Same thing happened to me - I was outside the orthodontist on Tramway - just calling my son (who was IN the orthodontists), to tell him I was outside. I had to circle around as the guy had pen at the ready.....painful!

We got a ticket for parking in a loading bay at 7pm on a Saturday evening. There was no sign indicating the hours of operation for the loading bay, so we've appealed it. They've gone mad down there.

Faith wrote: »
    We got a ticket for parking in a loading bay at 7pm on a Saturday evening. There was no sign indicating the hours of operation for the loading bay, so we've appealed it. They've gone mad down there.

Good on you for appealing. Am waiting to see one of those guys sprinting towards me shouting "I will look for you, I will find you and I will (kill) give you a ticket!"
    Put me off going to Douglas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Faith wrote: »
    This is vaguely related to the topic... Does anyone know when the Tesco Express on Douglas road is opening? Looks like they were stocking the shelves today, so I'm hoping very soon!

I think its open now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

okedoke wrote: »
    I think its open now

I had vouchers through the letter box for the new store this morning so assume it's very soon if it's not already open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭kooga

opening today wednesday

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Seems HMV has gone into the current Xtravision shop so its not them taking the old one. Strange that its been letting agreed now nearly 2 months and theres still no sign of anything actually going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

That new tecos on the south douglas road is complete crap -just my tuppence thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Am I wrong in thinking that there's nothing legally binding about those parking tickets in most cases? Or is this an actual bye-law in Douglas now?

Am I wrong in thinking that there's nothing legally binding about those parking tickets in most cases? Or is this an actual bye-law in Douglas now?

bye law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

On a different note, popped into Barrys in Douglas on Wednesday for a quick pint,
    nearly fell off the stool when he asked me for €4.70 for a pint of the black stuff....holy cow a fiver for a Guinness in a bar, not even a night club

On a different note, popped into Barrys in Douglas on Wednesday for a quick pint,
    nearly fell off the stool when he asked me for €4.70 for a pint of the black stuff....holy cow a fiver for a Guinness in a bar, not even a night club

somebody has to pay for the new bar !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

And sadly over a fiver for a pint of Carlsberg in Barry's last night for the Jazz, we refused to pay and walked out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Andip wrote: »
    And sadly over a fiver for a pint of Carlsberg in Barry's last night for the Jazz, we refused to pay and walked out

Well done, pity there are not too many like you, I suppose those inside called their drinks, paid up returned to their buddies and moaned before proceeding back up to the same bar counter again to be fleeced again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

kub wrote: »
    Well done, pity there are not too many like you, I suppose those inside called their drinks, paid up returned to their buddies and moaned before proceeding back up to the same bar counter again to be fleeced again.

Most didn't even count their change. I know they have to pay extra bar staff & security for the jazz, but I just felt the price hike per pint was excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Andip wrote: »
    I know they have to pay extra bar staff & security for the jazz, but I just felt the price hike per pint was excessive.

And have extra business and get freebies from Guinness and make more money. Gouging feckers. I hope they loose some regulars and regret it some quiet Tuesday night when the fast buck of the Jazz weekend is long forgotten.

Advertisement