Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets plays on Youtube

Options
  • 12-09-2013 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Starting to watch the odd one now for games Id probably never buy.

Can anyone recommend a youtuber who isnt a babbling ego-maniac because I find them thin on the ground! Some of the heavy hitters that pop up due to their subscriber numbers are hard to listen to for any length of time. Its really all about THEM!

Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

Be interested to hear of some too. Quite often they all start going a bit ego-maniac, and I get annoyed with them all at one point or another. Snippet of the current subs list (dont judge me!). I chop and change very often though- for reasons above

gamegrumps
    yogscast sips
    husky/huskystarcraft
    halbystarcraft
    frankieonpcin1080p
    robbaz

robtron hasnt done anything in a while, but enjoy his stuff too. Gamegrumps have good shows, steamtrain in particular I like. The fact its multiple people, and theres a bit of back and forth is good - the constant blab single-train-of-thought of a soloist can get a bit grating I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I like the AuzzieGamer - does some pretty good Assassins Creed mp videos

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

GoldGloveTV

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JaffOs

I watched Cryaotic Lets Play of The Last of Us and enjoyed it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I mostly play strategy. Currently subscribed to:

quill18
    Sean Beag (poster on here)
    (the real) MadDjinn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

CrotaGaming - Hearthstone
    Trick0850 - League of Legends
    frankieonpcin1080p - A Great series of Day Z vids.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I love Rooster Teeth, they do lets plays of minecraft and gta iv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Just stay away from Athene and your probably good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

DevilDogGamer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Some not mentioned already, also remember most do livestreaming too which can be enjoyable viewing.

Sidestrafe
    Levelcapgaming
    Force strategy gaming [no its not just strategy games]
    Kripparrian [probably the best theorycrafer out there,the guy is a genius]
    Sambonz
    ImAnderZEL
    Mikepreachwow [for when im playing wow]
    Then you have Towellie and Total Biscuit, who seem to get a lot of games very early but can be at times hard to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

I love Rooster Teeth, they do lets plays of minecraft and gta iv.

They seam to be the craic alright. Gavin the English fella does theslomoguys on youtube as well which is class. He's the best cos he's always making jokes they don't get about only fools and horses or faulty towers for example!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I really like jefmajor.

Doesn't have an annoying voice/sound like a 12 year or attempt to include some annoying "acting" (check out spoony for everything you don't want to see). Doesn't have an obnoxious intro or anything, its just him playing games doing commentary.

Also does some great random games that you really just have to laugh at

Btw Spoony used to do some great videos, but for some reason when these guys get enough subscribers they feel the need to include more of themselves then the games... and suddenly they become very cringy.

Can't stand Total Biscuit as well and I know he is a reviewer but Angry Joe is also really annoying. What he says is right 99% of the time but his reviews are just ...childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Agricola wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a youtuber who isnt a babbling ego-maniac...

No such thing :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

pedatron wrote: »
    They seam to be the craic alright. Gavin the English fella does theslomoguys on youtube as well which is class. He's the best cos he's always making jokes they don't get about only fools and horses or faulty towers for example!

Yeah I think Gavin and Ray are everyone's favourite! Michael was more fun when he didn't know how to play Minecraft, like in the first few Let's Play Minecrafts.

Something a bit more left-field...Diabetus and Slowbeef do a series called Retsupurae (Let's play in a weird accent). They mostly just play terrible flash games. Kinda reminds me of Mystery Science Theater 3k

Love the Lets Plays that Achievement Hunter do. Some of my favourites have been their GTA IV ones, Trouble in Terrorist Town (Part Two, when they discover they can possess objects when dead, is an absolute charm), Slender, The Hidden (love when random people join in the servers they happen to be playing on).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I like me some good old school rpg Let's Plays and Veriax is a good 'un.

Not Let's Play but this guy does some great analysis of gaming.

Actually are there any other good youtubers analysing gaming in general out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I mostly play strategy. Currently subscribed to:

quill18
    Sean Beag (poster on here)
    (the real) MadDjinn

The first and third I've been following for a fair while.

I know he's not exclusively a gaming Youtuber, but what is the deal with Pewdiepie? I really can't see the appeal at all. 13 Million subs is ridiculous. That's more than Rooster Teeth and the whole KYR Speedy crew put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I know he's not exclusively a gaming Youtuber, but what is the deal with Pewdiepie? I really can't see the appeal at all. 13 Million subs is ridiculous. That's more than Rooster Teeth and the whole KYR Speedy crew put together.

I think the guy is unhinged (in the useful money making sort of way!)

Dont know if they get marketing training from youtube or they are just natural self advertisers but they all have these tedious/downright nutty introductions, trademark sayings and sign offs. Its all about hammering home the brand. Pewdiepie is great at it. It obviously works.

Agricola wrote: »
    I think the guy is unhinged (in the useful money making sort of way!)

Dont know if they get marketing training from youtube or they are just natural self advertisers but they all have these tedious/downright nutty introductions, trademark sayings and sign offs. Its all about hammering home the brand. Pewdiepie is great at it. It obviously works.

I think you have to amass a fair number of subs before Youtube will invite you to courses and such. Usually anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I like nerdcubed when he plays the sim games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I read on Wikipedia that PewDiePie's channel is the most viewed on Youtube.
    To answer the OP's question, the only Let's Players I've really followed would be EpicNameBro, AGermanSpy and Olizandri.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

TwoBestfriendsPlay. hilarious guys.
    Full letsplay of Resident Evil 2, Silent hill downpour homecoming, Deadly Premonition, MGS Revengeance, and lots of more shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

+1 for jefmayor easily the funnest letsplayer on youtube has a very natural easy presence very unlike the mostly squeaky voiced Americans, mumbling terrified types or 40 year old man children putting on a very annoying show.....Or pretentious pricks like TotalBiscuit "youtubes number 1 critic" ya dont let that go to your head to much there buddy.

Thewinterowl is good for kerbal space program and flight sims hes a chill guy but sterotypical "nerd" type of personality his sense of humor is more about how somethings climb rate isnt quite right and tbh id put jef's IL2 and kerbal series above anything hes done still good for a watch though.
    On the same note Scott manley does the same sorta thing but is a real world rocket scientist or some ****.

Spoony did one really good lets play of swat 4 thats worth a look back when he wasnt a manic depressant who dresses up like girls and makes rape threats on twitter the good old days

bizmark wrote: »
    Spoony did one really good lets play of swat 4 thats worth a look back when he wasnt a manic depressant who dresses up like girls and makes rape threats on twitter the good old days

What?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

nesf wrote: »
    What?

I agree. Please elaborate.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I never really saw the point in Let's Plays. I've been involved in a handful myself, but they were all short arcade-style games, and we were more playing it for laughs than taking things seriously. I never quite understood someone watching their way through huge full games from start to finish though. I've seen that there are Let's Plays for the likes of Pokémon on youtube. Why would someone watch a game that's that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

nesf wrote: »
    What?

This was a few months ago now so my recollection isnt 100% but he had a complete melt down on twitter tweeting to a female contribute to "thatguywiththeglasses"that he also worked for that he was going to "tie her up in his basement and love her till she likes it" or something to that effect which was all dragged up over twitter while spoony was going ballistic at anything and everyone due to an undefined mental issue he himself admitted to suffer from not sure if he ever stated what it for sure but to me it seemed bi-polar

Edit the tweet -
    @TheSpoonyOne
    @JesuOtaku Y'know, if things don't work out with you and @Nash076, I'd be happy to chain you to a pipe in my basement and love you. My way.

Seems pritty classless but harmless if he wasnt haveing a bit of an episode that made it look and read a whole lot worse and he ended up getting fired for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

deathrider wrote: »
    I never really saw the point in Let's Plays. I've been involved in a handful myself, but they were all short arcade-style games, and we were more playing it for laughs than taking things seriously. I never quite understood someone watching their way through huge full games from start to finish though. I've seen that there are Let's Plays for the likes of Pokémon on youtube. Why would someone watch a game that's that long?

Wouldnt follow them religiously but Ive realized they are a great way to experience games that you probably wont buy. Im interested in seeing Outlast and the new Amnesia but because I already have a huge backlog to play AND Im a bit soft when it comes to horror, Lets Plays get around these predicaments.

But if you look at some channels you can clearly see a massive following of people who now just experience almost all their gaming vicariously though these youtubers. Very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Research indicates did an amazing lets play of Trespasser. He did a freaking amazing job, its a shame he does not do it anymore :(. Its a must watch for anyone. In my opinion thats how lets play should be done.

Advertisement