Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged twice in TK Maxx

Options
  • 12-09-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Went to TK Maxx on Tuesday to get a new jacket.

When I got up to pay, the guy somehow had it on the credit card machine as €39.99. He said he had cancelled it and all was good (I didn't ask for a receipt confirming it was cancelled) The credit card machine then started acting up, according to the supervisor who came over and they made me put the €69.99 through twice.

Now, on the same date (the 10th) the €69.99 has come out of my account, just the once, as normal. However, I now notice that €39.99 has gone out of my account with yesterdays date the 11th, for TK Maxx again.

How likely are they to give me a refund, as I certainly didn’t purchase anything on the 10th or 11th in TK Maxx?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Phone them or call in and ask. Then you'll know where you stand. Anything else here would be guess work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bring your credit card bill to the store with the receipt for the €69.99 purchase (which should identify the employee involved), show them the bill, explain what happpened and they should sort you out. Don't accept a credit note, they should be able to apply the credit to your credit card.

When a transaction on a CC machine is cancelled, it normally prints two receipts as for a valid transaction, you should always ask for one of them just in case this type of thing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If their cc terminal its part of their till then they will have to call their finance dept.

If the employee didn't give you a receipt for the failed transaction, its lightly that the other amount is just reserved and will drop of in time, if this is the case you bank can releasethe charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

Cheers for answer - this is actually Visa Debit Card... I guess I'll just drop in on Saturday and see what they say

Call them before then, HQ could be closed on Saturday and then will just take your number and pass it to the manager on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Call them before then, HQ could be closed on Saturday and then will just take your number and pass it to the manager on Monday.

Better still, go back on a Tuesday at the more or less the same time as the original transaction, that way there's a good chance the same staff member will be on duty and he will be able to hopefully backup your version of what happened.

If the same thing happened in a filling station, what's on your side is that you'd never buy fuel twice in the space of five minutes so clearly one of the transactions had to have been cancelled, that's how I was able to sort out a similar duplicate CC transaction a few years ago. However in a store like TK-Maxx you could easily buy two items in the space of a few minutes in separate CC transactions so you will need to convince them as to what happened and having the original member of staff present when you tell your story will help to clear things up to your satisfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

This can happen and is usually resolved quickly. Take in a print out of your bank statement.

One issue may be that the 39.99 is just in hold, and may drop back into your bank account by itself. If this is the case the Shop won't refund you per se. If they did you'd get two lots back so don't be too disconcerted if they give you that explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Cheers for answer - this is actually Visa Debit Card... I guess I'll just drop in on Saturday and see what they say
    Bepolite wrote: »
    One issue may be that the 39.99 is just in hold, and may drop back into your bank account by itself. If this is the case the Shop won't refund you per se. If they did you'd get two lots back so don't be too disconcerted if they give you that explanation.

Thread not read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Thread not read?

What's your point?

well i went in today and explained the situation.

The asst manager came down and was confused by the whole thing, given that it was two different amounts and where had the other one come from. He went off with the receipt for ten minutes or so and came back and said he's need to escalate it with their own credit card company, he'd call me back, etc etc.... but he'd obviously looked at the cameras as he said he cauld see that their "front desk manager" had been over with me at the time of purchase and that there was obviously some mix up.

Anyway, he called me back and said that the credit card company had no record so he needed to contact their sales audit team in head office. He just needed my card number again - gave him that and he called back later to say that there was another transaction on the epos machine that I had somehow gotten caught up in, and this is where the extra charge had come from. So he is now organising a refund.

Actually genuinely surprised at how quick they figured it out and with the service recieved, delighted to get my 39.99 back. Fair play to that man.

• Advertisement

He just needed my card number again - gave him that and he called back later to say that there was another transaction on the epos machine that I had somehow gotten caught up in, and this is where the extra charge had come from.

This is the one advantage over this happening on a CC terminal, on the EPOS system you can find all attempted transactions even though they do not generate a void receipt or approval number.

Went in yesterday & got my money put back on to my card.

& by way of apology, they gave me a store card with €20 on it. Despite their little mess up in the first place, they have actually shown one of the best examples I have seen of good customer service in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I've had stuff like that happen a few of times over the years and each time the retailers have been really good about sorting it out both here in Ireland and in France.

Credit card terminals can be a little bit vodoo-like. The worst that happened me was when paying for an item in France, the power cable fell out of the back of the machine just after I had put my pin in.

Nothing printed and we assumed it had cancelled, and did it again.

I came back to the shop a few days later with my AIB Online banking on my mobile showing her the double tx and she immediately refunded it and also made me a coffee and gave me a box of hand-made cakes :D

Advertisement