Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo call a c&d on princess rescue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

And Princess Rescue car value instantly quadrupled!

Worrying trend alright, although not surprising given how blatantly copywrite infringing it is.

I wonder what Microsoft thought of the Halo 2600 game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

halo 2600 was programmed by ed fryes, so that should be ok :-)

will be interesting to see what pr changes hands for now alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Looking at the Let's Play on Youtube it is a blatant rip-off.
    They could have modified the sprites a bit more.

Have to say I'm impressed looking at the footage of it as well.
    Looks far better than any 2600 game I ever had!
    I've heard it's a notoriously difficult system to code for.
    Shame the developer got gagged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I did not know that :)

he's working on zippy the porcupine as we speak, wonder will sega stop that one? i would love a copy of that in my collection

• Advertisement

from al, the main dude on atariage:

"Just to squash any speculation, yes, there was a Cease and Desist from Nintendo's intellectual property law firm regarding Princess Rescue and the Return to Mario Bros. hack. There was no gag order. I didn't want to say anything until I knew the situation was resolved, which it now is.

The Cease and Desist paints pretty broad strokes in terms of the infringement. The case is clear with the "Return of Mario Bros." hack since obviously "Mario Bros." is a trademark owned by Nintendo. Princess Rescue is less clear, although the music was specifically cited. I'm confident some of their claims could be argued, I'm not in a position to tackle a giant like Nintendo. I'm sure the game could be changed enough to avoid future attention, but then, that kind of defeats the whole point of the game, which was to see if SMB could be done on the 2600.

I do feel it would be worthwhile to take the same game engine and create a game with unique levels, graphics, audio and music, but that's entirely up to Sprybug. Right now he is busy with another project."

Advertisement