Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Canada - some questions

Options
  • 12-09-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Im hoping I can find some answers here.

I am looking to travel to Canada in early 2014 as soon as I can get my Visa processed (working on the basis I'm successful in getting a Visa).

I am looking to get work in the digital marketing industry. I have quite a bit of experience in a number of online areas so I'm hoping these skills would be sort of in demand, as in Ireland its a growth area? I have a degree and a postgrad from NUIG - how do I go about getting these recognised in Canada?

My boyfriend is a qualified personal trainer/fitness instructor. Is there much work in this area - he's pretty much willing to do anything to get a foot in a door with any fitness facility. He hasnt a huge amount of work experience as the industry is nearly non existent here.

Based on the above where in Canada should we be looking to relocate to? I was thinking Toronto as its a huge city and surely there is opps there. However we would both love to try out Vancouver.

We were hoping to go to the working abroad expo in the RDS in September, but I've heard from numerous sources unless you are in a trade it isn't worthwhile!

So I'm hoping I can get a bit of guidance here that will save us from jumping completely into the unknown!

Thanks a mil all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

The only piece of advice I will give concerning destination is research research, Vancouver is easily the prettiest city in Canada but is probably the hardest place to start your Canada adventure. I only say this as I have had friends & family who chose Van as their destination and struggled to find work and Van soon became really tough for them. Join facebook groups, reach out to people there and try to hit the ground running on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Max_ Power

Hi,

how did you apply for your visa? also what is the waiting process?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Phonehead wrote: »
    The only piece of advice I will give concerning destination is research research, Vancouver is easily the prettiest city in Canada but is probably the hardest place to start your Canada adventure. I only say this as I have had friends & family who chose Van as their destination and struggled to find work and Van soon became really tough for them. Join facebook groups, reach out to people there and try to hit the ground running on arrival.

I am very surprised about this, the Canadian embassy and other govt. websites put out data showing that Toronto dominates the immigration figures and that Vancouver is either a distant 2nd or even 3rd, but way down the numbers list. That is for ALL immigration into Canada each year. The Canadian economy, now unlike the Australian, is quite stable - unemployment at 7.1 and GDP is fine etc. As for the Facebook groups, I chatted with a few people in 'new Irish in Vancouver' last week and many of them said they didn't even get a 'now job' to pay bills, they didn't need to, within 3 months many were working in whatever area they were interested in.

I'm not saying it's not true or is never tough, but sometimes I don't know where the info can differ so much.

The Irish centre for immigration in Canada also said to me 'keep away from Van' lots of unemployed Irish. I chatted with that guy from Moving 2 Vancouver and he said 'piece of cake, work hard, do research and otherwise you're grand, jump right in'.

*throws hands up in air*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Van is a small city and it is also a highly sought after city to live in. The jobs market is very competitive in Van, a jobs market that is a fraction of the size of Toronto (based on my profession) Unfortunately the IEC visa and the lack of Canadian experience does make candidates less attractive to hire (it is the same here in TO but the market is bigger)

It really does depend on your profession and expectations! All I know and can advise people about is based on the field I work in (Accounting) The market in Vancouver would be smaller than Dublin so people really need to be aware that they are in for serious competition when going for jobs.

Advertisement