Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much gas have I?

Options
  • 12-09-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, we're heading away for the weekend I'm trying to judge how much gas I have left in my propane bottle. The bottle itself has 10.9KG printed in large white on the front. Then there's 12.2 scribbled on in marker. Also, in small letters on the back of the bottle, I see 12.2 printed.
    I'm guessing this means that the empty weight of the bottle is 10.9, and that it can take 12.2KG of gas, giving a total full weight of 23.1KG. Is that right?
    So Lets say I weigh the tank and it tells me 17, I've roughly gone through half the tank - would that be right?

edit - just re-read the title of my thread, waiting for some puns:)

Comments

Pick it up slosh it about, make an educated guess, and deduct 50%...works for me.
    I have 2 bottles though. That way I always have >50%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi Guys, we're heading away for the weekend I'm trying to judge how much gas I have left in my propane bottle. The bottle itself has 10.9KG printed in large white on the front. Then there's 12.2 scribbled on in marker. Also, in small letters on the back of the bottle, I see 12.2 printed.
    I'm guessing this means that the empty weight of the bottle is 10.9, and that it can take 12.2KG of gas, giving a total full weight of 23.1KG. Is that right?
    So Lets say I weigh the tank and it tells me 17, I've roughly gone through half the tank - would that be right?

edit - just re-read the title of my thread, waiting for some puns:)

Correct the weight on the collar is the tare weight. I was only looking at the calor cylinders in the petrol station the other day one was 13.9kg! if the nominal weight is 11kg then 13.9 must be way over 80% full!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 will2020

Just test it with warm water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6U_e7FrC2Y

Advertisement