Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good spot for birthday meal in maynooth for up to 20 people?

Options
  • 12-09-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Could anyone recommend somewhere nice for a birthday dinner. I'm trying to arrange a surprise meal for the OH with our friends in maynooth but its been a while since I've been out there. I think there are a few new places. I'm open to suggestions. Ideally somewhere that isn't crazy loud so we can have a good aul waffle.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I do like the Stonehaven. They can cater for a large group and it's not noisy. Bistro 53 might be able to as well - heard good things about it. Or Carton House - pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

The Avenue, hear good reports about this place never been though..

http://www.menupages.ie/kildare/north_kildare/maynooth/avenue_cafe_restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Thanks for quick reply's, has anyone gone to a new tapas place there. Ill look at them. Is the stonehaven the one in the basement at the mill off licence? If so I was here before, a good few years ago now mind you.

Oh... the other thing is the OH is a vegetarian so will need a veggie choice also.

Thanks

I've been to Picadero's twice. I wouldn't be a fan. Service is very poor and the food is average.

Avenue is loud so if you want somewhere quiet that's not where to go.

Stonehaven is the underground one - been there a good few times - always enjoyed the experience there. And the Ostrich steak - gorgeous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Stonehaven or the Avenue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I think The Stonehaven is best if you have a large group.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The Stonehaven or the Avue.

Been to stonehaven before. Is There a place called bistro 56? Or am i thinking of somewhere else? Haven't been to avenue I'll have a look at reviews. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I'd recommend The Avenue.

Is There something going on in maynooth on the 28th? No rooms available in carton or glenroyal, dunboyne castle, Courtyard or Springfield. I got the last room in becketts in leixlip. Hope I'll be able to get a table now. Once i decide obviously.

ElKavo wrote: »
    Is There something going on in maynooth on the 28th? No rooms available in carton or glenroyal, dunboyne castle, Courtyard or Springfield. I got the last room in becketts in leixlip. Hope I'll be able to get a table now. Once i decide obviously.

Hurling replay is on that night. Maybe that is a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Court yard in Leixlip does gorgeous food. I love Di Vincis too and there is a collection of good chineses.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The Court yard in Leixlip does gorgeous food. I love Di Vincis too and there is a collection of good chineses.

Yeah, we're from leixlip and have eaten in them all. But as we are moving to maynooth I thought it would be a nice idea as a taste of things to come. Hopefully we will be able to get somewhere. Thanks for the reply though.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Tommy Tiernan is on in the Glenroyal that night, so most restaurants and accommodation will be chocka

SQ2 wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan is on in the Glenroyal that night, so most restaurants and accommodation will be chocka

Ah ha. Better get something sorted asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Might have to bus it to Celbridge so, Michelangelo is always a good spot for a party group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hurling replay is on that night. Maybe that is a factor.

That is precisely it. You should have seen the traffic backed up all along the Straffan Road from the train station last Sunday, it was mad. I reckon a lot of them are staying up for the night since the match is on so late.

Whats twist like? I see they do corkage also.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

I Love dinner in Twist, good atmosphere and they do BYOB

SQ2 wrote: »

The Maynooth Festival is also on that weekend and there's a contingent over from France for it.

Ate in Bistro 53 on Saturday night. Food was gorgeous and service excellent. Highly recommend it.

Just got a booking for 21:30. last ones left in twist. Thanks everyone for your replys.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Just wanted to post an update. We went to twist and I must say everyone very impressed. The staff were very attentive without being intrusive and the food was gorgeous. The next day myself and the birthday girl had lunch in bistro 53, again lovely and a very nice interior. We had a good drive around the different estates and were able to rule a few out of our search. Its terrible that in a few of the estates that seem lovely at the front but then at the rear of the estate there could be loads of apartments or very high density housing. I think this would result in people flying through your estate to get to their own.

But anyway, we are both now counting down the days till we can call Maynooth our home.

So what estates have you narrowed it down to?

So what estates have you narrowed it down to?

Looking like Parklands, one of the moyglare estates, silkenvale, pebble hill and one more up the prosperous road but I'm not sure about there as its quite a walk to the schools for the little one's. We would Ideally like parklands as it seems to be the best position for what we want. You never know we might somehow get the ets places we were looking for and even then it wouldn't be too bad.

Rockfield is lovely too and beside Parklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rockfield, from memory, hasn't got gas which is a major downer for anywhere for me.

How on earth does a relatively new estate not have Gas? That would suck:(
    We wanted one of the big extended houses in either but only one came on the market and at an absolutely crazy price and the 3/4 bedroom ones were a bit too small for the growing family.
    We wanted to be 10 minutes from the train and the Gaelscoil.
    We ended up buying in neither but found a house that met the 2 main requirements and in an estate where nearly everyone has extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Built as the town was lain for gas and didn't get done as 100% ofch is what I was told

Actually has Silken Vale got gas? Don't think it has.

I'm pretty sure there's a gas mains down the centre but you need to pay to get it to your door. I know some houses have gas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement