Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sign on Quay

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Why there hasn't been a demolition order on these buildings is beyond me.

I could be wrong, but I believe at least part of these buildings are protected structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Gadgie wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I believe at least part of these buildings are protected structures.

It wouldn't surpise me in the slighest if some unelected snob of questionable taste decided these derelict, dangerous eyesores were of some dubious architectural merit and their preservation was now written in stone. However I do not see how that would entitle the owners to leave them in their current appalling state while they don't pay rates and they sit it out until the next property boom. Even if you own a listed building you are not allowed to let it go to wrack and ruin. Every avenue should be explored to get this mess sorted, once and for all. Do you think this would be allowed to happen in Dublin, Cork or Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

It wouldn't surpise me in the slighest if some unelected snob of questionable taste decided these derelict, dangerous eyesores were of some dubious architectural merit and their preservation was now written in stone. However I do not see how that would entitle the owners to leave them in their current appalling state while they don't pay rates and they sit it out until the next property boom. Even if you own a listed building you are not allowed to let it go to wrack and ruin. Every avenue should be explored to get this mess sorted, once and for all. Do you think this would be allowed to happen in Dublin, Cork or Galway?

Cork are only at last getting rid of their larger scale similar eyesore on their quay.............locally there are a few more, one in particular on the Mall close to the traffic lights at junction with Catherine st

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a tricky subject really,

What people consider an eye sore can change overtime,

In the past some people thought the crane on the city side of the quays was an eye sore and should be removed, but luckily it remained and look at it now. Its a very interesting feature to have in the city.

Looks pretty good since they cleaned it up

20090308140142_img_4892pan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nite Klub

Couldn't it just be adapted to say "dont" to make it less rude, then we can fume about the poor grammer of those objecting to the tall ships.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its a tricky subject really,

What people consider an eye sore can change overtime,

In the past some people thought the crane on the city side of the quays was an eye sore and should be removed, but luckily it remained and look at it now. Its a very interesting feature to have in the city.

Looks pretty good since they cleaned it up

This is the important part of your post.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is the important part of your post.

True,
    But I even liked it before it was cleaned up, though always thought it needed some paint.

Thing is many don't like the buildings on the other side no matter how clean they are, they don't see them having any merit. You've only to read this thread to see that.

True,
    But I even liked it before it was cleaned up, though always thought it needed some paint.

Thing is many don't like the buildings on the other side no matter how clean they are, they don't see them having any merit. You've only to read this thread to see that.

If we're conducting a poll put me down for always liked the crane, always detested R&H Hall's legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If you don't see why people would be annoyed by this then either you are blind or you have little respect for the city,

Its crap like this (people marking buildings like this) that makes a place look run down and a hole,

As opposed to the actual rest of the docks? Specifically R&H Hall.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Hijpo wrote: »
    If some cretin can get up there to paint it then some trained personel can remove it, whats the hold up?

Who goes up??
    Coucil dont own it so
    Council cant send anyone up, thats tresspassing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement