Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Forwarding for IP camera

Options
  • 12-09-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am trying to configure an Eircom D1000 (Zyxel P660-HNU-1) modem so that I can view a Loftek IP camera over the internet. So far, no success.

For this to work, I need to apply a port forwarding rule. The camera is working now, but only over LAN/WIFI - not over the internet.
    The camera has been allocated IP address 192.168.1.123 and I have chosen port 1029.

Here is how the rule now looks on the modem:

Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 12.39.57.png

Firewall is set to Low.

Online open port check tool shows port closed.

I have tried taking the camera to an alternative environment (ie non-eircom service using an old BT Voyager modem) and managed to get it working fine by just applying a port forwarding rule similar to the above. In this case, I can access the camera remotely and appropriate DDNS server updating is handled correctly.

Now, back in my home environment, I've still got the same old problem.

I wonder if I am missing something with respect to configuring the PF rule. All advice so far would suggest that, apart from applying the rule, I just need to set the Firewall to Low.

Sadly EIRCOM support don't offer advice on port forwarding.

The Loftek support people say there's nothing wrong with the camera setup. I've got to believe them ... it works fine; just not over the internet.

I would be grateful for any help with this. I've had the problem for quite a while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Do you use DHCP or is the cam setup with a static address?

I found with some of those Eircom modems you have to set the device to us DHCP and then set the cam to use the same IP via MAC address else the router will not 'see' the IP and forward it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 champ1

Many thanks for suggestion. I'm afraid that I'm still struggling with some of these concepts. Just about managed to get my head (sort of) around port forwarding and dynamic dns. I'm afraid DHCP is a new one on me.
    I've had a go at what I think you've suggested and maybe these screens will show you what I've done in the area of MAC/IP mapping. I'm afraid however that we've still got the old problem.

How do these look to you?

Screen Shot 2013-09-13 at 12.11.12.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-13 at 12.11.43.png

Thanks again,

C

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zetor6340

Hi Champ

I wonder if you got your IP camera working? I have the same type of camera and modem - I set the port forwarding and can access the camera within the network but not remotely over the internet. Any config tips much appreciated.

thanks
    A

Hi Zetor,

Yes, finally got it going, both over wifi and over the internet.

1. You can see a screen-shot of my port forwarding rule on the first posting on the subject. I had assigned .123 to the camera and used port 1029. It turns out that this rule was fine even though, for quite some time, I thought it wasn't working.
    2. If your rule looks like this, apart from the fact that you probably assigned a different ip address to the camera and maybe used a different port, the likelihood is that yours is fine too. Can you confirm that this is the case?
    3. It turns out that, in the BSearch configuration, I had entered an incorrect IP address for the Gateway and DNS1. These should be 192.168.1.254. I originally had these in as 192.168.1.1.
    4. Another thing I didn't realise was that you can't test for access to the camera over the internet (using the device name) from your own internal network. The instructions seem to suggest that you can. This is not the case. Use your smartphone (not at home on wifi) or get someone else to do it from outside your home environment.

This might help. If not, maybe you could email me a screen-shot of your BSearch config and your port forward rule to see if I can identify any problems is these areas. Can't promise anything but quite happy to try to help. I'm at campico@eircom.net.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zetor6340

Hi Champ,

thanks for your fast reply! I actually had made the same error with subnet mask - I hadn't changed it to the eircom value. I did that last night and I still couldn't get in over my android phone - but I tried this morning and it worked fine :-) So happy days. Maybe my connection wasn't very fast last night and it timed out.

Thanks
    A

• Advertisement

Well done. Onwards and upwards.

Advertisement