Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Fifa rankings are out (Ireland 59th)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

We're in the top 60 lads...wayyyy...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Go on Belgium! (and Colombia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Maybe we'll have moved up by the time the next ones come out in an hour or two.

Panama, Burkina Faso above us to name but a few..... o dear me.

How the frickin' frick are Wales 7 places ahead of us? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

On current form we dont deserve to be any better. In fact few teams below us could give us a game.

In saying that there is the usual lol placings too above us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

England 17th, at least the tiresome 'how are England in the Top6' posts are over.

How the fricki' frick are Wales 7 places ahead of us? :confused:

Because they have a gazillion billion dolla baby in their ranks.

Panthro wrote: »
    Because they have a gazillion billion dolla baby in their ranks.

yeah well we have Andy Keogh, whats your point?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

30 European teams ahead of us. Qualifying for the 24 team Euro 2016 is not a foregone conclusion.

• Advertisement

yeah well we have Andy Keogh, whats your point?? :pac:

Touché!:pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Hey, still above Cameroon and Poland, and... eh... Scotland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Uzbeki ahead of us, haha.

Ok above us I think we are better than Finland, Iceland, Albania, Cape Verde:eek:, Honduras, Norway, Panama, Burkina Faso, Wales, Uzbekistan...Few others are touch and go.

Few of them in not currently sure of and even though Iceland doing well in their group its a **** group.

Few we are ahead of but could be better possibly Slovakia, Cameroon, Boliva, Poland, Senegal.

So where we stand is about right sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

30 European teams ahead of us. Qualifying for the 24 team Euro 2016 is not a foregone conclusion.

There's not 30 European teams better than us though. Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Denmark (awful atm), Albania, Wales (!), Finland, for a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

There's not 30 European teams better than us though. Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Denmark, Wales

Ha, I'm sure we were saying the same about Austria too.

I wouldn't put a fiver on us beating any of these countries right now.

Big improvement is necessary regardless of 24 teams or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Trilla wrote: »
    Ha, I'm sure we were saying the same about Austria too.

I wouldn't put a fiver on us beating any of these countries right now.

Big improvement is necessary regardless of 24 teams or not

Denmark scraped by Malta. Malta!

And Wales are atrociously bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Kazakhstan! Kazakhstan!

Lads we needed 2 late goals to beat Kazakhstan.

We aint really much better than 59th. No way do we deserve to be in the Top 50 in the world at the minute.

I hate saying it, but its the truth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

On the bright side, we're only 15 places behind Cape Verde Islands...

• Advertisement

On the bright side, we're only 15 places behind Cape Verde Islands...

Good God but I detest those pesky Verdey Islanders..with their Capes and whatnot..
    Who the hell they think they are eh? I think we should declare war on them. (We'd probably lose.. :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

It's our lowest ranking ever btw. I guess Shane Long was half-right when he said Trap took us to the next level.

Panthro wrote: »
    Good God but I detest those pesky Verdey Islanders..with their Capes and whatnot..
    Who the hell they think they are eh? I think we should declare war on them. (We'd probably lose.. :( )

We would take the lead only to lose it when one of their soldiers crosses a bridge and fires few shots out our direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Seeding for Euros is based on the last 3 campaigns. This one was a disaster, but the previous 2 weren't too bad. We'll still be in Pot 3 come draw time. No panic there

What we want to avoid are 2 disastrous campaigns in a row, that's when you get sucked into the Wales/Scotland vicious circle of horrible seeding.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Seeding for Euros is based on the last 3 campaigns. This one was a disaster, but the previous 2 weren't too bad. We'll still be in Pot 3 come draw time. No panic there

What we want to avoid are 2 disastrous campaigns in a row, that's when you get sucked into the Wales/Scotland vicious circle of horrible seeding.

How confident are you we will be 3rd seeds?

Hope you're right.

How confident are you we will be 3rd seeds?

Hope you're right.

If a team who gets to a play off, then qualifies for a tournament and then has a 4th place finish....for them to be immediately demoted to Pot 4 would make a mockery of the seeding system.
    The coefficients for the EURO 2016 qualifying draw will take into account results from:

2010 World Cup (qualifiers and final tournament) - 20% of total weighting
    EURO 2012 (qualifiers and final tournament) - 40% of total weighting
    2014 World Cup (qualifiers) - 40% of total weighting

Even though we did sh!t in finals itself, I think we get brownie points just for turning up :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Internet in dispute over ranking list shocker...

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    If a team who gets to a play off, then qualifies for a tournament and then has a 4th place finish....for them to be immediately demoted to Pot 4 would make a mockery of the seeding system.

Even though we did sh!t in finals itself, I think we get brownie points just for turning up :cool:

I agree with you on that.

Its bit like the France v Ireland game where FIFA made it 1-1 rather than award Ireland a 0-1 win.

I remember Scotland best England 0-1 at Wembely(Euro 2000 PO) and that counted as a win yet they lost 2-0 at home. Yet Ireland did better lost 0-1 at home, but get punished then away. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

4th seeds combined with keane retiring and we are royally f***ed IMO...

• Advertisement

I agree with you on that.

Its bit like the France v Ireland game where FIFA made it 1-1 rather than award Ireland a 0-1 win.

Eh, it was a 1-1 draw. FIFA don't go by PaddyPower rules.

Doesn't seem to be a site that keeps up to date coefficents. For what its worth we were 14th before the draw for the finals of 2012.
    http://europeancups.altervista.org/rankings/UEFA_national_team_coefficients_2012def.htm
    4 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats in this campaign is hopefully neutral enough to keep us somewhere around 20th/21st.
    I don't think the 3 defeats in the 2012 finals count for UEFA coefficient, they previously haven't (they do for FIFA world rankings, but not a concern for us in this draw).

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Aint the bigger picture that we are now in the bottom seeds/last pot for any draws?

are there any players that retired, that would be worth trying to coax out of retirement? im thinking mainly given and duff?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    are there any players that retired, that would be worth trying to coax out of retirement? im thinking mainly given and duff?

Bit of realism here. We don't play a competitive game for nearly a year. Keane, Dunne and O'Shea will probably be gone

Eh, it was a 1-1 draw. FIFA don't go by PaddyPower rules.

Doesn't seem to be a site that keeps up to date coefficents. For what its worth we were 14th before the draw for the finals of 2012.
    http://europeancups.altervista.org/rankings/UEFA_national_team_coefficients_2012def.htm
    4 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats in this campaign is hopefully neutral enough to keep us somewhere around 20th/21st.
    I don't think the 3 defeats in the 2012 finals count for UEFA coefficient, they previously haven't (they do for FIFA world rankings, but not a concern for us in this draw).

Yes I know it as 1-1 I said it did sure!!!!
    It does not make sense though.

Think about the Scotland/England game and France/Ireland game and you will know why.

Does not take a rocket scientist to figure how stupid it was.

lads where I would argue that overall Ireland are overachievers in the past say 25 years, given our size etc. How they hell are england just SOOOOOOO bad? they are certainly underachievers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Idbatterim wrote: »
    4th seeds combined with keane retiring and we are royally f***ed IMO...

With the pressure not there to play Keane, we will actually be better off. International football is now in a time of 4-5-1/4-3-3 to be able to compete, and Keane just doesn't fit in anywhere in this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

So do most people expect Ireland to remain as 3rd seeds?

Also could anyone, if possible, post an up to date list of seeds? Be it the current 2014 seeds, or the expected 2016 ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

So do most people expect Ireland to remain as 3rd seeds?

Also could anyone, if possible, post an up to date list of seeds? Be it the current 2014 seeds, or the expected 2016 ones.

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html

Someone said 23 from 53 countries qualify for Euro 2016 - France are automatic. From another thread I posted one possibility for qualification:

"8 groups of 6 (1 of 5) = 9 groups

Top two qualify automatically = 18
    Best third place team qualifies +1 = 19
    8 other third-place teams play off for four places + 4 = 23

No doubt UEFA will think of something more absurd.

We are ranked 30th in Europe according to the FIFA rankings - I excluded France. That would make us fourth seeds, we would need to move up to 27th overall and overtake three of Finland, Armenia, Iceland, Wales, Turkey, Austria and Albania, all of whom are ranked above us.

We could conceivably get a draw that included Spain, England and Serbia. Good luck even getting a play-off place.

Of course you could also get Switzerland, Slovenia and Armenia."

Godge wrote: »
    http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html

Someone said 23 from 53 countries qualify for Euro 2016 - France are automatic. From another thread I posted one possibility for qualification:

"8 groups of 6 (1 of 5) = 9 groups

Top two qualify automatically = 18
    Best third place team qualifies +1 = 19
    8 other third-place teams play off for four places + 4 = 23

No doubt UEFA will think of something more absurd.

We are ranked 30th in Europe according to the FIFA rankings - I excluded France. That would make us fourth seeds, we would need to move up to 27th overall and overtake three of Finland, Armenia, Iceland, Wales, Turkey, Austria and Albania, all of whom are ranked above us.

We could conceivably get a draw that included Spain, England and Serbia. Good luck even getting a play-off place.

Of course you could also get Switzerland, Slovenia and Armenia."

FIFA rankings are nothing to do with the UEFA draw though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

there is a thread on YBIG that has us currently ranked 16 (its not based on world ranking). that would have us second seeds.

staying 16th, is dependent on our results against Germany and Kaza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Germany only beat the faroes 3-0 and it was 1-0 for a good while. Maybe we'll give the germans a kicking so .

here is the post i was on about..
    If Ireland lose 3-0 to Germany and beat Kazakhstan 2-0, we will finish on 26732.8 coefficient points.

If Slovakia beat Greece and Latvia they will finish on 27412.68 points, knocking us into the 3rd pot of seeds. However, if Slovakia draw one of those games and win the other, they finish below us on 26592.64 points.

Slovakia will not be involved in the playoffs so its very clear cut.

If Norway beat Slovenia and Iceland, they will finish ahead of us on 27441.24 points. One draw and a win leaves them below us on 26621.2 points.

If Turkey beat Holland and Estonia, they finish ahead of us on 27194.44 points. A win and a draw leaves them below us on 26374.4 points.

So, we are currently the very last team in the second pot of seeds. We have to hope that Norway, Slovakia and Turkey ALL drop points in one of their last two games. If one of them wins two games, we will be 3rd seed

if this is correct, we still have a chance of being 2nd placed, but we definately will not be 4th placed as people are making out.

one thing is for sure, European football is really strong at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Wow, that'scat.

so we wont be 4th seeds..sweet and relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

here is the post i was on about..

if this is correct, we still have a chance of being 2nd placed, but we definately will not be 4th placed as people are making out.

one thing is for sure, European football is really strong at the moment.

Finally!! A reason to be excited about the remainder of these qualifiers. I do love something to aim for

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Now that Cape Verde have been thrown out of the World Cup will they drop down?

Now that Cape Verde have been thrown out of the World Cup will they drop down?

As far as I can see all that happened was one result was changed. So they should drop a bit, it's not like all their qualifying matches are voided.

EDIT: Actually if you click on them it says they have 696 points but on the table (and for the rankings) they're only on 660. Click on "view all matches" and their last match has been updated to 3-0 to Tunisia so it's already been taken into account it seems.

one thing though, in terms of realism these ranking are an absolute farce..no way are we the 59th best team in the world, we are much stronger than that. in the time we have dropped, we have played Germany, Spain, Sweden twice, as well as England and then Austria twice as well as the 3 games in the Euros against 3 of the top ranked teams in the world.

very few teams will have played opposition that good, especially the teams ranked 20-50. a one goal defeat to sweden should get more points than a low ranked team beating an even lower ranked team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Some people are in denial that we are sh1te it seems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

one thing though, in terms of realism these ranking are an absolute farce..no way are we the 59th best team in the world, we are much stronger than that. in the time we have dropped, we have played Germany, Spain, Sweden twice, as well as England and then Austria twice as well as the 3 games in the Euros against 3 of the top ranked teams in the world.

very few teams will have played opposition that good, especially the teams ranked 20-50. a one goal defeat to sweden should get more points than a low ranked team beating an even lower ranked team.

Losing should get you more points than winning? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement