Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips/Help getting into reading books again.....

Options
  • 12-09-2013 4:11pm
    Site Banned Posts: 34

Hi guys,

Was a huge reader in my formative years (16-20 I would have read 2 books a week)

Am 26 now and save for the occasional film biography, I don't read much.

It's not that I'm not as passionate, I just find myself having too manby distractions (phone,internet,laptop,ipod,newspapers).

I used to love getting into bed early to read, or sitting in the park with a good book.

Is it just age/new technology, or is there any way to re-kindle this?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Yeah, I went through a stage like that too. I had to force myself back into it but once I broke through that barrier it was like I never stopped.

What kind of books did you read before? Find something like that or pick something current that you've heard about. Failing that, go into a bookshop and pick something off the Top 10 list and set yourself an hour with no phones or laptops to read!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Simply put, find a genre of TV show (if you don't know a book genre) that interests you and look for some recent releases or top rated books.
    So for example you go "Oh I liked the Lord of the Rings Films and I like Game of Thrones"
    And I go like "Oh you should read 'Magician' , it's the 1st of a series by Raymond E Feist, It's largely regarded as a great serious to rival Tolkeins works and many speak of him highly including myself.... Or you could try redemption of althalus by David and Leigh Eddings, which I personally enjoyed as a stand alone, sit down and pick up book"
    Basically your post needs more context....
    But for what it's worth, I stopped reading for a while, not quite 6 years.... got back into it as I noticed it aided my sleeping big time

• Site Banned Posts: 34 Henry Gondorff

Thanks for the suggestions guys

I was a big reader of the classics, especially philosophy;

Stuff like Albert Camus, Dostoyevsky, Sartre as well as the Beat Generation writers like Kerouac and Burroughs.

Like the darker Brett Easton Ellis stuff too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Can't help you there.... Too much like Real Life for me ;)
    Best of luck though.... why not check out stuff like The Nations Top 100 Reads or what not... with all that lovely intelligence google has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Maybe you need to spice it up a little. I went through my dry spell after spending two or three years reading heavy books that were very philosophical and a lot of thinking was required. Now I make sure that each book I read is a different genre from the last one so I don't get stuck in one mind-frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Is it just age/new technology, or is there any way to re-kindle this?

The answer lies in your own question ;)

Advertisement