Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental accommodation standards.

Options
  • 12-09-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Looking for some thoughts here....have just paid deposit on an apartment but no lease signed yet. However having asked to go back to check what would be needed I have discovered lots of problems. Beds are of very poor quality with no headboards . There are no blinds on windows. no extractor fan for cooker. FLoor in livingroom is in very bad condition with laminate lifting everywhere. it just feels grubby with dirty doors and skirting which could really do with painting. Bearing in mind with all these issues is that the rent.price is at the very top of going rate for the area. VIewed place at night and having gone back we just feel they're taking the piss. Should we just forget about it and keeping looking????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes look for somewhere else that is properly managed by its landlord or agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 stripey sox

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Yes look for somewhere else that is properly managed by its landlord or agent.

its with a property management agency

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Assuming you pull out...
    Be advised that since you haven't signed anything, you'll need to go to the small claims court if there's any trouble getting your deposit back.

Just wondering if people are having issues with the standard of their rental accommodation? we have been renting for past few yrs and have generally been happy. Had to move at end of summer however, and now feel like we are being ripped off. House is at top of market rate for our area this however is not reflected by its quality. There has been a bad smell in hse which we thought would air out but has not. Old bad quality wooden flooring downstairs which is lifting making it impossible to clean etc. Very poor furniture....had to buy new table as one here was so unstable. No clothes storage such as drawers etc. Carpets badly stained think this may be cause of musty smell. No appliances apart from fridge and washing machine. Garden littered with broken glass. Majors problems with draughts. These are just a few of our problems, making us as a family very unhappy in this hse. As mentioned we had to move as our previous house had been sold and so didn't have long to find alternative near kids school. We hope owner would b happy to have long term, decent tenants and would make improvements, obviously this has not materialized. landlords should understand that if they maintain house and it looks well they are more likely to keep good tenants. We Will unfortunately be moving again asap!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Just wondering if people are having issues with the standard of their rental accommodation? we have been renting for past few yrs and have generally been happy. Had to move at end of summer however, and now feel like we are being ripped off. House is at top of market rate for our area this however is not reflected by its quality. There has been a bad smell in hse which we thought would air out but has not. Old bad quality wooden flooring downstairs which is lifting making it impossible to clean etc. Very poor furniture....had to buy new table as one here was so unstable. No clothes storage such as drawers etc. Carpets badly stained think this may be cause of musty smell. No appliances apart from fridge and washing machine. Garden littered with broken glass. Majors problems with draughts. These are just a few of our problems, making us as a family very unhappy in this hse. As mentioned we had ti move as our previous house had been sold and so dudnt have long ti find alternative near kids school. We hope owner would b happy to have long term, decent tenants and would make improvements, obviously this has not materialized. landlords should understand that if they maintain house and it looks well they are more likely to keep good tenants. We Will unfortunately be moving again asap!!!!

have you made the landlord aware youre not happy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Why did you move in if the property was so bad?

Poor quality furniture,badly kept fixtures & fittings, lack of appliances and a littered garden would be obvious on inspection of the property.

Why did you move in if the property was so bad?

Poor quality furniture,badly kept fixtures & fittings, lack of appliances and a littered garden would be obvious on inspection of the property.

As mentioned previously we didn't have enough time to be choosy......plus most of the accommodation in our area is of the apartment type not suitable for our family and needed to near schools. Unfortunately not everything in life is black and white. My point is the lack of regard for tenants on the part of many landlords!!!!!

gaius c wrote: »
    Assuming you pull out...
    Be advised that since you haven't signed anything, you'll need to go to the small claims court if there's any trouble getting your deposit back.

we have a contract which I wouldn't normally break ( 6 yrs in previous hse) but in this case I just don't care....if something better pops up we'll move. This hse is obviously charging above market rate, no BER either!!!

As mentioned previously we didn't have enough time to be choosy......plus most of the accommodation in our area is of the apartment type not suitable for our family and needed to near schools. Unfortunately not everything in life is black and white. My point is the lack of regard for tenants on the part of many landlords!!!!!

My point is the landlords will never learn if tenants continue to take the unsuitable properties.

You have two choices in this cycle;
    1) explain at the viewing that the property is not up to standard and have specific examples. Ask if you were willing to take on the property would these issues be addressed and dealt with prior to you moving in, signing a lease and providing a deposit.
    2) walk away and don't rent it.

If you rent the property you're adding to the problem as you think the place is habitable.

OP I've merged your threads - multiple threads on the same issue are not permitted.

Thanks

Morri

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

But you took it on for these reasons which suit you and then you complain after facts which were present when you saw it.
    It cant take much effort on your part to clean up the glass/rubbish in the garden, maybe you should have suggested that in particular before moving if you have children, but which is better, leave it and have a problem connected to that or clean it up?
    The other stuff you saw and still signed the lease??
    Maybe bring it up with the landlord, although I suspect if its in that condition and the landlord doesnt know you well yet, he might be uninclined to buy new yet? if he doesnt know if you will keep it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I have no idea why you would move into a property like this when you were on here raising concerns before you even signed the lease, but thats neither here nor there now. You need to put all of the issues in writing and send them to the landlord, requesting a plan of action to outline the remedies they intend to implement and the time frame in which you can expect the issues to be sorted. If you get no satisfaction from this, send a second letter with a deadline, and inform them that if this deadline passes with action being taken then you will be moving to terminate the tenancy.

And in future do not move into properties that are so obviously sub-standard, no matter what your personal circumstances might be. The general rule is that the state the property is in when you sign the lease is almost certainly going to the state that you can expect the property to remain in for the duration, regardless of whatever promises are made. There are obviously going to be exceptions, but its easier just to assume that a property that is in that state is not like that by accident, and its more than likely an indication of a landlord who has no interest in maintaining the property, and of a landlord who is unlikely to remedy issues and improve the standard of their property while you are there.

cerastes wrote: »
    But you took it on for these reasons which suit you and then you complain after facts which were present when you saw it.
    It cant take much effort on your part to clean up the glass/rubbish in the garden, maybe you should have suggested that in particular before moving if you have children, but which is better, leave it and have a problem connected to that or clean it up?
    The other stuff you saw and still signed the lease??
    Maybe bring it up with the landlord, although I suspect if its in that condition and the landlord doesnt know you well yet, he might be uninclined to buy new yet? if he doesnt know if you will keep it well.

I don't believe it should have been our responsibility to clean up after previous tenants!!!!! Although of course this is what we have had to do. It was eluded at viewing that such works would be carried out before our arrival....this never materialized.
    I am also totally entitled to choose the area in which I want to live ....so yea I did move for reasons which suited me and yes I am complaining about the shoddy product we are paying for!!!!!!!
    Landlords complain all the time about bad tenants.....they get good ones and treat them the same!!!!!

I don't believe it should have been our responsibility to clean up after previous tenants!!!!! Although of course this is what we have had to do. It was eluded at viewing that such works would be carried out before our arrival....this never materialized.
    I am also totally entitled to choose the area in which I want to live ....so yea I did move for reasons which suited me and yes I am complaining about the shoddy product we are paying for!!!!!!!
    Landlords complain all the time about bad tenants.....they get good ones and treat them the same!!!!!

You're right it is not your responsibility to clean up after previous tenants. It is however your responsibility to ensure you rent a property that is a safe environment for your family.
    Noone held a gun to your head to take this property, you were advised against it by the members months ago. Agents eluding to something is not the same as agreeing to it prior to deposits being paid and contracts being signed, if you pay over money for a product as is then you are accepting it as is, you can't then complain after the fact.

At this point your only option is to put everything in writing and ask for the landlord to resolve the issue within a set period of time, otherwise you will be forced to terminate the contract.

You're right it is not your responsibility to clean up after previous tenants. It is however your responsibility to ensure you rent a property that is a safe environment for your family.
    Noone held a gun to your head to take this property, you were advised against it by the members months ago. Agents eluding to something is not the same as agreeing to it prior to deposits being

paid and contracts being signed, if you pay over money for a product as is then you are accepting it as is, you can't then complain after the fact.

At this point your only option is to put
    everything in writing and ask for the landlord to resolve the issue within a set period of time, otherwise you will be forced to terminate the contract.

I take your advice on board.....problems were evident when we moved but at time didn't have a choice as no alternative became available.......believe me I would not usually have such low standards. Problems have worsened since and need to be sorted!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I dont believe it should be your responsibility to clean up after previous tenants either, nor have I said so. You have only said the house seems to be in a poor general condition and has broken glass in the garden.
    Neither of these necessarily suggest they were the fault of the previous tenant, even the glass may not be the fault of the landlord/agent although it would be advisable for them to clear them and for you to have put it in writing to insist it as a condition of the lease prior to signing, otherwise they could say someone put them there after the lease was signed or even that you put them there or allowed them to be put there.
    Its probably unlikely for an agent to ever consider removing the glass/rubbish (pics?) especially if they are just letting the property and have no contract to manage it.
    The thing is, you saw this broken glass and its better to have no one allude to anything, the agent could say that alluding is something you interpreted on your own. Im not being critical, Im just letting you know what might be said.
    You took the property based on a pressing time concern related to the previous property you were letting being sold and due to schools in the area, and its understandable you might take whats available or not have the time to look over, or at a place as critically as you might want. I can see why you might not want to press any issues before signing a lease, but to then also consider it a problem after you have signed the lease confuses me as it seems you noticed the issues, but did not raise them and now have some form of regret. Maybe after being there it just seems so much worse, which I can understand.
    I dont think someone alluding to anything is sufficient to ensure it will be completed and as you have children, how difficult is it to remove a dangerous problem quickly, i.e. get a pair of work gloves, some safety glasses a dust pan and brush and clear up the glass before your child gets cut or injures themselves permanently, you have to take some personal responsibility in this for your children with regard to the glass, that would be my priority, but also as you signed the lease.
    I dont mean to sound harsh but if someone broke a bottle in my garden, who will clean it up but me? Id get myself in gear and clear it up as its a hazard, even if Im not responsible, I could be affected. On top of that, some people think if a place is vacant or it seems so because broken glass/rubbish is in the garden, they might ditch more glass/rubbish there.

You are entitled to choose where to live, I never said you weren't? you said this what was available, but to complain on top of that seems contradictory.
    If landlords complain about bad tenants and treat good ones like bad, that's their problem, I dont see how thats relevant to your complaint?
    Some tenants think they are good but aren't, they might not be doing overt damage, but they can be a different to someone that really is a good tenant. Im not saying you are bad, but perspective can change an opinion.

My point is the landlords will never learn if tenants continue to take the unsuitable properties.

You have two choices in this cycle;
    1) explain at the viewing that the property is not up to standard and have specific examples. Ask if you were willing to take on the property would these issues be addressed and dealt with prior to you moving in, signing a lease and providing a deposit.
    2) walk away and don't rent it.

If you rent the property you're adding to the problem as you think the place is habitable.

I'm not sure if you rent but there's something of a crisis going on in Dublin re rental supply. Supply on Daft for Dublin city is approx only 18% of what it was back in 2009 and tenants often don't get a lot of choice if they need to be out of their present accom by a fixed date. Extremely poor quality accommodation is going for top dollar with letting agents and landlords knowing they can squeeze to get even more if they really wanted to. Friends of mine in Rathfarnham got a 28% rent increase just before xmas.

I'm not sure if you rent but there's something of a crisis going on in Dublin re rental supply. Supply on Daft for Dublin city is approx only 18% of what it was back in 2009 and tenants often don't get a lot of choice if they need to be out of their present accom by a fixed date. Extremely poor quality accommodation is going for top dollar with letting agents and landlords knowing they can squeeze to get even more if they really wanted to. Friends of mine in Rathfarnham got a 28% rent increase just before xmas.

I know there is a problem with supply, but tenants aren't using their power to good use. If tenants are willing to hand over money for substandard properties then there is no incentive for landlords to up their game.
    It is a vicious circle I'm not denying that.

I know there is a problem with supply, but tenants aren't using their power to good use. If tenants are willing to hand over money for substandard properties then there is no incentive for landlords to up their game.
    It is a vicious circle I'm not denying that.

No. You really don't know just how bad it is out there.

There are students (Trinity) from down the country living in Co Meath because they can't afford anything closer to town.

There are ordinary households who only have one car facing uprooting from Dublin suburbs to Newbridge because rents are spiraling and there is NOTHING else in Dublin that fits their budget bar apartments in Park West.

No. You really don't know just how bad it is out there.

There are students (Trinity) from down the country living in Co Meath because they can't afford anything closer to town.

There are ordinary households who only have one car facing uprooting from Dublin suburbs to Newbridge because rents are spiraling and there is NOTHING else in Dublin that fits their budget bar apartments in Park West.

I've been there, this isn't a new phenomenon. There will always be renters who are priced out of areas and there will always be a landlord/agency who will chance their arm by skirting around their obligations.

For instance, I commuted to WIT from Kilkenny because I couldn't afford rent in Waterford.
    When I rented in Dublin I worked three jobs (one full time, two part time) to pay my rent and bills.
    I never settled for a crappy house just because it was my lot in life. I either raised the issues with the letting agents before handing over my hard earned cash or walked away and found somewhere else. I don't think I ever rented in a highly sought after area either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement