Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is absolutely genuine. Many people feel like you initially, I certainly did. If you don't use it you have a very good chance of developing heart issues and sleep apnoea can, eventually, cause your death. Not something that is going to happen in a couple of weeks or even a couple of years, but in the long term it is a serious issue that you need to pay attention to.

Persist with it, it will get easier. Are you checking the readings from your machine? Are you getting high leakage numbers? That is one of the things that is likely to wake you, the air escaping from your mask. You need to work with the suppliers and your consultant to establish which mask is best for you and which pressure, and what kind of pressure works best for you. Mostly though you have to persist, its difficult and aggravating, but stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Did anyone have anxiety issues using the machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hontou

Yes. I am at the moment as it feels unnatural, but will persist with it.

I have a Nippy 3+ that I'm meant to use for a medical illness but I get anxiety issues towards it

I'm not anxious about it, I just hate the bloody thing, but at least I am getting results at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

there are smaller ‘travel’ versions of the airsense machines available but they’re not cheap and I don’t know if you can get them from resmed.
    if you’re finding the cpap hard to use, try a few different masks until you get one that’s comfort /least worst for you. The resmed nurses help with this in my experience.

FWIW I didn’t think my sleep improved with the machine, I don’t feel any more rested, but my AHI averages 1-3 compared to 20 on the test, plus my wife says she no longer feels the urge to stab or suffocate me in my sleep due to snoring

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Look at different masks, the rental company sent me out an air fit p30i, doesn't feel unnatural, it just send air up your nose and your free to talk, give your rep a call. They can also tweak settings on your machine.

I'm only 2 weeks into this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

I travel frequently enough with workand thought of getting a smaller travel machine for those trips. Will the the Drug Payment Scheme allow cost coverage for a 2nd machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

In my case I rang resmed chancing my arm, as my initial diagnosis was less than 2 years previous (I gave it up after a few weeks) it was easy to get back on the system. A simple email approving it from my doctor's secretary was enough.
    I was told if I had gone over the 2 years then i would have needed a new assesment

You are more or less where I am or was a few weeks back, I felt it was not worth the stress 2 years ago and gave up on it. However things got so bad I could not function during the day and simply had to go back on it as a last resort, il admit its very tough to get used to and so far my readings are excellent although im not seeing much benefit in real life, i probably do feel better if I can manage to keep it on alright.
    My biggest issue is falling asleep, once im asleep il stay that way but i find it hard to switch off my brain at night and even harder now with this mask on me…

Still gonna stick with it for the foreseeable

Just to add, you should try different masks, theres a few different ones and well worth trying, the nurse should send them onto you if you ask

• Advertisement

I was having that problem, but I have got past it and am sleeping ok at the moment. Are you doing the 'sleep hygiene' stuff? Cut down on caffeine (I have given it up completely), no screens an hour before bed - yes I am on it at the moment but only in the last 5 minutes, then it will be my kindle and sleep. Find the ideal time to go to bed and stick to it regularly - I find if I settle down to sleep after about 12.30 I am less likely to go to sleep than if I settle around 11.30. No I don't understand it either. If you are not going to sleep after about 40 minutes or so, get up, get a drink, not caffiene, warm milk is good if you can cope, or camemile tea, read for half an hour then settle again.

I have always been a poor sleeper, many nights il simply be awake right through to the morning, sometimes i get up and do something productive on the computer if I can.

I do drink caffeine but only in the mornings. I could probably do a bit better with my nighttime routine I guess, might try read a book tonight for a while and put the phone away

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PatMurphy021987

Hello,

I am after canceling with my rental company, I have a CPAP machine, humidifier, tube, masks, and carry bag.

Can anyone advise what they will collect when they pick up? I'm assuming the CPAP machine and Humidifier and carry bag. and that they won't want the mask and tube back

Cheers

The mask etc are no use to them second hand. Probably just the machine including the humidifier, though that would probably be considred second hand too.

Hi,

Im have been renting the Prisma SMART plus Auto CPAP, Im consider purchasing either the Prisma SMART plus Auto CPAP, AirSense 10 AutoSet Auto CPAP or the AirSense 11 AutoSet Auto CPAP.

Can anyone give me feedback on the AirSense 10 AutoSet Auto CPAP or the AirSense 11 AutoSet Auto CPAP, would you recommend them?

Cheers

I only got the air sense 10 auto 2 weeks ago and I've no experience with any other machine.

The resmed rep has been very good, he's made a few adjustments to it over the air to try and solve any complaints like air a bit dry etc(there's a SIM in it). The heated tube has already broke (tubing not connectors) so there's a new one arriving in the next day or two. So in the first 2 weeks I've got a new nasal pillows and heated tube). Kinda glad of the subscription option so far. It's also linked to my consultant.

4 out of 5 nights now I've had 0 events per hour and my watch backs that up. (Samsung watch 5 Pro, there on sale at the moment, bit of a bargain I think if you've an android)

The air sense has a partner app that gives you a report with leakage, aph, mask off events, usage hours. (None of this information is much use as my watch has an oxygen sensor which gives the only information you need as in how was your oxygen during the night.)

I've limited knowledge on it but from my experience it's smart enough machine and fine tunable to get a good night's sleep, no idea how the tube got holes in it. Support has been excellent. Not sure how their back up is with no subscription.

I also have the Airsense 10, with nothing to compare it to. Its been reliable and no problems with the machine, Resmed are good and very helpful. I use the app, though I guess if I had the watch you mention I would not use it so much. Its the same (but more detailed) info that the Consultant uses.

I did start buying purified water as I was using boiled tap (well) water and it was seizing up the tank with limescale. Its a bit expensive (works out at €20 a month) but I am happier with the shiny clean tank!

I have a beard, do other CPAP users shave them beard to get a better seal of the nose masks?

Resmed sent me a nasal mask as I could not sleep with the full face mask. (They are a very helpful company). The nasal is horrendous for me too. Much harder to breathe, only tried it last night for 20 minutes but could not get used to it at all. Noisy air came out of my I opened it with the mask on for some reason and drops of water seemed to be going down my nostrils. I think the narrow shape of my nostrils are the problem as I tried both sizes but my left nostril felt blocked (same with the full face mask). So I put the full face mask on again last night and kept it on for the usual 2 hours while fully awake, then removed it so I could sleep. I'm 4 weeks in now and have not slept with it yet. It seems to be disimproving my health and tiredness rather than improving it. Anyone out there feeling as useless with it?

Yes I couldn't do with the nasal mask, felt as though I was suffocating, though I normally breathe through my nose.

I fully get what you mean about 'taking the mask off so I could sleep' - going to sleep with no mask is like luxury, so calm and comfortable. Its not improving the SA though.

Can you concentrate on what relaxes you and helps you go to sleep - lying thinking about the mask is natural but not conducive to sleep. If you could manage it a couple of times you would 'break the spell'. Do the sleep hygiene stuff - regular bed time, no tv or screens before sleep, no caffeine after midday. They say you should not use alcohol to help you sleep but I have found a very small shot of brandy in some hot water when I really cannot sleep is a good help. Not a full shot, just a small amount, though I don't drink much so it is more effective. Or a couple of paracetamol or similar. It should not be a regular thing, just to get a breakthough.

• Advertisement

I need to stop caffeine after 11am. probably been having too much around 4pm.

What nasal mask did you get there was 3 nose sizes in what I received, my nose gets blocked as well. I take a blast of this up each nostril before bed then I breathe clearly all night. https://www.inishpharmacy.com/p/otrivine-adult-measured-dose-sinusitis-nasal-spray-10ml/otrivine-5939

I also use a tiny bit of vaseline on my on my nose, makes a huge comfort difference. If you can't breathe right get them to adjust the settings, might be ramping too quick.

I doubt you're a mouth breather, so some tuning until you get it right.

This is the one I'm using now, they gave me the F40 leaving the hospital after the sleep test but only lasted a week with it.

This AirFit P30i Nasal Pillow

https://www.cpapstore.eu/shop/cpap-masks/cpap-pillows-mask/airfit-p30i-nasal-pillow-cpap-mask/?attribute_pa_pk=standard-starter-pack&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1920BhA3EiwAJT3lSbwmuZhUh1yhryt4ohqND9EOVjXdxchzGkILxvuq9b3pCFMFiscFDRoC_p8QAvD_BwE

That looks interesting - completely different to the one I tried.

I think I breathe through both my nose and mouth. My left nostril takes in less air as always feels half blocked. I think it is an anatomy issue (narrow nostrils) rather than sinus issues. the face mask allows me to breathe through my nose and mouth but I have to keep adjusting it as I move regularly from my front to my side during the night. Managed 2 hours last night on the full mask. That is good for me. I hated the nasal one. Forcing air up my nose. It made me feel more claustrophobic than the full face mask. I tried the 2 sizes they sent but it was the whole feeling of it. Felt like someone was pouring water up my nose at speed.

Which mask did you try which machine have you? that doesn't sound right at all, mine just has gentle air pushing in probably pumps harder but i'm fast asleep at that stage (the machine says it's only went up to 9 but the doc has the max set to 16), it was forceful but then they adjusted it for me, it's like your sleeping outdoors in the fresh air. Can image it won't work if you sleep on your belly thoug or any mask for the matter.

There's a reason your nose is blocked, have you a deviated septum? Mine blocks as well, it's random but I need the Otrivine to get a good nights, sleep. My average mask on time is now 7.5hrs, even managed over 9 the other night.

It's all new to me but that one doesn't put out on me at all, I got used to it after a few nights, bit tuff on the nose for the first few but then the machine was adjusted and some vasiline to just keep it comfy. I'm a side sleeper and swap between sides during the night and it stays put. It doesn't need to be very tight, I definitley had it too tight the first few days. Sleep score from the airsens is either 100 or close every night now and aph nearly always 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

\Would this version not be more comfortable. This is the one I use… it fits all around the nose rather than up the nostrils.

• Advertisement

Drunk Monkey - I might give it a go when other things have calmed down a bit, no point trying to sort SA with other issues confusing things. I am doing much better at the moment than I have in the last 4/5 years.

Advertisement