Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card question

Options
  • 12-09-2013 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I cleared my credit card balance bar 45 pounds (its a uk credit card).
    The interest came to about 58.
    So a new balance of approx 103 pounds.
    I am being asked for 59 as a minimum payment.

The BOI online service desk gave me this explanation:

Any monthly minimum payment will be rounded up to the nearest pound (£)

and will be the greatest of:

- 2.5% of the outstanding balance on your statement (minimum £5)

OR

- The full balance (if less than £5) OR

- 1% of the outstanding balance plus interest, plus fees, plus any insurance

premium.

So who makes the choice? If I am ever in the same situation, how would I plan with 3 possible payment amounts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi dobsdave,

The minimum payment is decided by the greater or highest of the three options. Minimum payment will always cover interest, fees and charges, plus 1% of the principle debt. In the long run, this means that you will clear your balance quicker to avoid an over excessive build up of interest on your credit card account.

I hope this explains it and if you have any questions particular to your account, a representative in Credit Card Services should be able to assist.

Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement