Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best LPG gas packages available

• 12-09-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

can anyone advise what is the best domestic gas package they have received or heard of from the suppliers out there?

delivery and commissioning of tank:€
    Annual Standing charge:€
    Price per litre all in:€
    any bonus or sweetener:

thinking of going with LPG gas.

im based in the midlands.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

delivery and commissioning of tank:€140
    Annual Standing charge:€100
    Price per litre all in:€0.65
    any bonus or sweetener: First 1,000 litres of LPG free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

JD6910 wrote: »
    can anyone advise what is the best domestic gas package they have received or heard of from the suppliers out there?

delivery and commissioning of tank:€
    Annual Standing charge:€
    Price per litre all in:€
    any bonus or sweetener:

thinking of going with LPG gas.

im based in the midlands.

Just be aware when comparing with alternatives, that one litre of LPG doesn't have the same energy as one litre of oil. A more useful measure might be cost per kWh of heat delivered?

See the SEAI website for current comparisons of fuel costs.
    This currently shows LPG at 13.4c /kWh , oil 9.7c/kWh.

One advantage to LPG, nobody is going drain your tank!

Scartbeg wrote: »
    Just be aware when comparing with alternatives, that one litre of LPG doesn't have the same energy as one litre of oil. A more useful measure might be cost per kWh of heat delivered?

See the SEAI website for current comparisons of fuel costs.
    This currently shows LPG at 13.4c /kWh , oil 9.7c/kWh.

One advantage to LPG, nobody is going drain your tank!
    That is simply not true!
    SEAI's figures are wrong.
    You are correct to compare fuels by the cost per kwh, so the following applies:
    Natural Gas = 6.6 cent per kwh
    Kerosene = 8.3 cent per kwh @ 90 cent per litre.
    LPG = 9.1 cent per kwh @ 65 cent per litre
    LPG = 10.5 cent per kwh @ 75 cent per litre.

Natural Gas = 10.8 kwh/m3
    Kerosene = 10.8 kwh/litre
    LPG = 25.87 kwh/m3
    LPG = 7.1 kwh/Litre

So how is SEAI coming up with their high costings?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

shane0007 wrote: »
    delivery and commissioning of tank:€140
    Annual Standing charge:€100
    Price per litre all in:€0.65
    any bonus or sweetener: First 1,000 litres of LPG free

thats a good package shane007.

can anyone top that???!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

shane0007 wrote: »
    That is simply not true!
    SEAI's figures are wrong.
    You are correct to compare fuels by the cost per kwh, so the following applies:
    Natural Gas = 6.6 cent per kwh
    Kerosene = 8.3 cent per kwh @ 90 cent per litre.
    LPG = 8.3 cent per kwh @ 65 cent per litre
    LPG = 9.4 cent per kwh @ 75 cent per litre.

Natural Gas = 10.8 kwh/m3
    Kerosene = 10.8 kwh/litre
    LPG = 25.87 kwh/m3
    LPG = 7.1 kwh/Litre

So how is SEAI coming up with their high costings?

so all in all oil and LPG produce roughly the same KWH.
    the other plus for gas is the way it modulates and with bulk LPG you are getting your "cooking gas" at handy money versus the small bottles outside the kitchen window!!!;)

• Advertisement

Pretty much.
    The down side of LPG is you are tied to one supplier. The market dictates oil prices but the LPG supplier can increase & you are tied.
    I generally find with LPG that you get in at 65 cent/Litre but after year one they quickly remove your discounted price. This is the very reason I did not fit LPG in my own home. I decided to modulate through a buffer tank.

So there is pro's & con's to both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

I'm currently with Calor Gas and I am paying €110 (including VAT) per annum for the annual standing charge; I paid €0.8085 per litre (inclusive of VAT and Carbon Tax) for LPG this year.

Do I have other options open to me? Calor Gas installed the boiler, tank and all connections for a price in April 2011. Maybe I'm tied to a contract.

detective wrote: »
    I'm currently with Calor Gas and I am paying €110 (including VAT) per annum for the annual standing charge; I paid €0.8085 per litre (inclusive of VAT and Carbon Tax) for LPG this year.

Do I have other options open to me? Calor Gas installed the boiler, tank and all connections for a price in April 2011. Maybe I'm tied to a contract.

Your tank rental charge is normal. €0.80 per litre is high IMO.
    This is the other reason I have a gripe with LPG companies. Everybody pays a different price. Why do they not charge everybody the same? It seems to be based on what they can get away it.

Don't get me wrong, I like LPG. I like gas. It's the above reasons that get me annoyed with the LPG companies & I do installs for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

My parents are looking into this at the moment and oil. They plan on removing their old Stanley 8 cooker. (The top is warped and the smoke leaks back into the room). They also plan on getting a wood burning stove install in the sitting room.
    What gas companies are there out there and if people had a choice of either gas of oil what would they go with.

hexosan wrote: »
    My parents are looking into this at the moment and oil. They plan on removing their old Stanley 8 cooker. (The top is warped and the smoke leaks back into the room). They also plan on getting a wood burning stove install in the sitting room.
    What gas companies are there out there and if people had a choice of either gas of oil what would they go with.
    There is really only Calor & Flogas available for bulk storage.
    It would really depend on what kind of set up the heating system is whether or not you should go for oil or gas & how your parents wish to operate the system.
    Gas is very controllable & can cater for excellent means of cooking.
    Oil has far less disruptions for the installation & oil boilers can handle poor systems better than gas can.
    So really both have pros & cons.
    You should arrange a few site visits before deciding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement