Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Economics At Home

• 12-09-2013 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

Currently In 5th Year, guess at the moment i'm doing all h/l subjects.
    Maths,Irish,English,French,Geography,Biology&Business?

Due to this years subject requirements for LCVP, i wasn't eligible to do it..

So I've come up with a solution to either just study 7 subjects or do another one at home which didn't include a project you had to do for the exam.

Economics

Since I'm only in 5th year and the help of google, may i succeed into doing h/l for it and get a decent grade :cool:? If only i put my head into it.

Opinions and books i should get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 culchiegirl16

Im doing economic from home as well and im also in 5th year so i got the rapid revision economics by Micheal Ruane because it was highly recommended (its about a tenner in easons) the edco positive economics book is also well recommended but im getting by without it :)
    Also start doing the exam papers as soon as you have the course done
    This might interest you as well http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/exams/exam-demanded-students-to-think-outside-their-textbooks-says-teacher-29358041.html
    best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭DominicKid

Im doing economic from home as well and im also in 5th year so i got the rapid revision economics by Micheal Ruane because it was highly recommended (its about a tenner in easons) the edco positive economics book is also well recommended but im getting by without it :)
    Also start doing the exam papers as soon as you have the course done
    This might interest you as well http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/exams/exam-demanded-students-to-think-outside-their-textbooks-says-teacher-29358041.html
    best of luck :)
    The books you've chosen in my opinion are the exact books for the complete economics 2015 exam and well were picked.
    Are you going to do higher level for the exam?

I might buy the same books as you but the textbook is out of stock but might consider buying a different one but the same revision book (rapid revision).

I hope business and economics are quite the similar course as i'm doing business atm.

Im pretty sure i will do Higher level for the exam you?
    I have been told that the courses are similar but im not positive
    I did Business for the junior cert and from reading the book it has a few of the same topics but in more detail (factors of production etc..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭DominicKid

Im pretty sure i will do Higher level for the exam you?
    I have been told that the courses are similar but im not positive
    I did Business for the junior cert and from reading the book it has a few of the same topics but in more detail (factors of production etc..)

thanks girl, ya i get ya :) prob higher level too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Don't bother with the revision books. The best thing to do is print out all marking schemes you can get and organise them by section like imperfect competition, inflation or money and banking. Just learn the marking scheme off by heart. If you learn a revision book you will be learning twice as eventually you just have to learn the marking schemes.

Also be able to give relevant stats. Keep everything in bullet points. They don't want essay. State your point in a different colour and then write a few lines of an explanation.

After a while of learning off marking schemes you will realise the questions and answer repeat themselves. But you must not predict what will come up as its so short just learn the whole course.

If you have questions PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

a heads up, 75% of the material in Postice Economics is copied and pasted from the marking schemes.

folens brought out their new economics book out this year so maybe you should check if that's any better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

yeah positive economics isnt that highly rated, teacher thinks its pretty useless and just uses it for some definitions and questions but not much else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

a heads up, 75% of the material in Postice Economics is copied and pasted from the marking schemes.

That was the intention of the authors. Given the way Economics is marked, a thorough knowledge of what is in the Marking Schemes is essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

folens brought out their new economics book out this year so maybe you should check if that's any better
    yeah positive economics isnt that highly rated, teacher thinks its pretty useless and just uses it for some definitions and questions but not much else.

yes they have included marking schemes (which is the point , so you see how important marking schemes are for economics) but wow 75% is such an exaggeration , i'd bring that down to about 10%

maybe it isn't highly rated , i'm not going to debate whether it is or not but i used it while taking up economics in one year and got a B2 by just using it +marking schemes , you could definitely get an A with that book +marking schemes with 2 years of work, far from useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    yes they have included marking schemes (which is the point , so you see how important marking schemes are for economics) but wow 75% is such an exaggeration , i'd bring that down to about 10%

10% ! Have you seen the marking schemes?
    it's word for word! the only stuff that isnt from the marking schemes are the silly little examples, diagrams, charts, Pat's f*ck1n deli, the silly cartoons, and the monotonous questions at the end of the chapter.
    I may have exagerated a little but I guarantee you it's wayyyyy closer to 75% than it is to 10%
    teach88 wrote: »
    That was the intention of the authors compilers. Given the way Economics is marked, a thorough knowledge of what is in the Marking Schemes is essential.

FYP

• Advertisement

http://www.economicsleavingcert.com/index.html Found this site not sure if it will be helpful or not but sure somebody here might like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

The rapid revision economics author who was mentioned at the start of this tread is giving a seminar on Nov. 30th. Its about current economic issues and I'd say it would be useful for people doing economics without a teacher. PM me for details.

Advertisement