Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money problems

Options
  • 12-09-2013 5:45pm

Hi

I have tenants in my 2-bed apt. in Smithfield for the last two years. For the 5 years prior to that, I lived there.

There have been plumbing issues recently. To cut a long story short, I've been told the water pressure is too low and it needs a pump (even though it was fine for the 5 years I lived there).

is it reasonable to expect the tenants to contribute towards the cost? I wouldn't ask, only the cost is quite high.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Have you checked to see if this is a new issue? Nothing worse than crappy pressure on the shower but if they've been living with it for a while why are they only bringing it up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi

I have tenants in my 2-bed apt. in Smithfield for the last two years. For the 5 years prior to that, I lived there.

There have been plumbing issues recently. To cut a long story short, I've been told the water pressure is too low and it needs a pump (even though it was fine for the 5 years I lived there).

is it reasonable to expect the tenants to contribute towards the cost? I wouldn't ask, only the cost is quite high.

If the pump is requried, it's required. It's possible that when you lived there the water pressure was higher or spread across fewer apartments - weren't there lots of empty units for a while.

There's no basis to force a charge on the tenants.

Thanks for the prompt response. No, it is only a new issue.
    The cost has kept creeping up, from 260 to 580 to god knowwhat next??

Marcusm wrote: »
    If the pump is requried, it's required. It's possible that when you lived there the water pressure was higher or spread across fewer apartments - weren't there lots of empty units for a while.

There's no basis to force a charge on the tenants.

Is installing a pump in an apartment a bit unusual?

The plumber seems convinced its the only solution, but I've talked to someone else who says its very irregular to do that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Perhaps it wouldn't be too much to ask for a *small* contribution. Then again it'll depend on your relationship with your tenants

• Advertisement

Perhaps it wouldn't be too much to ask for a *small* contribution. Then again it'll depend on your relationship with your tenants

Yeah, in fairness I am more conscientous than most, and do sort out any issues quickly.

This has me a bit worried though, as the cost is basically unaffordable right now, but I also am cogniscant that I can't leave them without proper washing facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

have you checked is there a problem with the other apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Afaik most apartments have pumps. Definitely not a cost that the tenant should pay.

Afaik most apartments have pumps. Definitely not a cost that the tenant should pay.

Fair enough, I heard the exact opposite, hence the query

Is installing a pump in an apartment a bit unusual?

The plumber seems convinced its the only solution, but I've talked to someone else who says its very irregular to do that?

I would have thought it was more common to have a pump than not have one. Even if old buildings being converted to flats I have seen pumps being installed. Certainly in modern apartment blocks (Kilaminham Sq, Gasworks etc) I have seen each apartment has a pump.

Smithfield was a Redquartz/Kelly development - surprised that they would have cut a corner like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Euchrid

For what it's worth, I was a tenant in Smithfield Market for 4/5 years until a year ago. Towards the end of my time there, I had similar problem where water pressure became very poor. Turned out that the water pump had broken down and needed to be replaced. Landlord had someone look at it and replace it as soon as I mentioned it.

From speaking to a neighbour at the time, they had experienced the same thing and their landlord had replaced the pump. It sounds like its the kind of thing that can happen with the pumps after a number of years use and It's not really something a tenant could be expected to contribute to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

As the above poster has said the chances are you already have a pump in the apartment and its broken.

It could be worth checking with your plumber to see if you do.

If this is the case they can sometimes be refurbished at a much cheaper
    cost than replacing.

There is a guy around the Thomas Street area that refurbishes them.

If you cant find the number l have it somewhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Landlord pays.
    Its a consumable with a flatline deduction (normally associated with either (or both) the water and heating systems.
    12.5% written off against tax- per year, over 8 years. Expect to have to replace the pump again in 8-10 years time.

robbie1977 wrote: »
    As the above poster has said the chances are you already have a pump in the apartment and its broken.

It could be worth checking with your plumber to see if you do.

If this is the case they can sometimes be refurbished at a much cheaper
    cost than replacing.

There is a guy around the Thomas Street area that refurbishes them.

If you cant find the number l have it somewhere.

I hear you but the plumber has actually said that there is no pump there currently. He's to call me tomorrow, I'll know more then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I hear you but the plumber has actually said that there is no pump there currently. He's to call me tomorrow, I'll know more then :)

Sounds stupid I know, is it just the shower? Problem with washing machine / dishwasher? Ifnyes, maybe as a last resort, check the brass mains in tap is open fully. I know it won't have physically changed but pressure in the building may have changed and this could reflect it. Happened a friend of mine after they had a plumber look and he couldn't fix pressure etc

12.5% written off against tax- per year, over 8 years. Expect to have to replace the pump again in 8-10 years time.

Yeah I'm ok with the tax aspect of it thanks, and I'll worry about the replacement when the time comes.

BKWDR wrote: »
    Sounds stupid I know, is it just the shower? Problem with washing machine / dishwasher? Ifnyes, maybe as a last resort, check the brass mains in tap is open fully. I know it won't have physically changed but pressure in the building may have changed and this could reflect it. Happened a friend of mine after they had a plumber look and he couldn't fix pressure etc

I'll mention that, thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I'll mention that, thanks very much :)

No problem, they resolved it by literally getting through to brass tap under sink and making sure it was fully open. Best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Is this not something that landlord should pay for?

twinsen wrote: »
    Is this not something that landlord should pay for?

Yeah that seems to be the sentiment alright :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Landlord has to pay, tenants are paying for a service, the landlord has to provide that service, it's the landlords property and it's up to them to maintain it. If the tenants decide to move out, you can look towards increasing the rent to cover costs, in this market that shouldn't be a problem unless the rent is already at the maximum for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

sweet jesus I cant believe somebody could even ask the question of weather a tenant should pay for this.

beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,799 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

We had a similar issue in the apartment I was renting, i.e. lack of pressure in shower.
    I got plumber out to fit the pump and landlord paid, it came to about 200 euro and worked with no issues (bar the water pressure on the taps in the sitting room being really high!)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have tenants in my 2-bed apt. in Smithfield for the last two years.
    If they're nice tenants that you want to keep, replace it. If you want to get rid of them, hmm and haw until they leave, and replace it before new tenants move in.

D3PO wrote: »
    sweet jesus I cant believe somebody could even ask the question of weather a tenant should pay for this.

beggars belief.

Chill. You're more worked up about it than I am, and I'm the one facing the bill :D

And maybe read my OP again, I didn't say 'pay for it', I asked about 'contribution towards the cost'.

Anyway, it's been resolved, the pressure issue is not as bad as the plumber had thought, so all good

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

I didn't say 'pay for it', I asked about 'contribution towards the cost'.

Are you a spin doctor by any chance? Sounds like something one would say.

Are you a spin doctor by any chance? Sounds like something one would say.

Say a bill comes to €400 (hypothetically)

Pay for it = pay €400

Contribute towards it = pay say €100

Big difference (to me anyway :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

Pay for it = pay €400

Rubbish. The cost is / was entirely your responsibility, there was NEVER a possibility that you could legitimately expect the tenant to pay, regardless of the spin you put on pay versus 'contribution'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Pay for it = pay €400

Would they then get to bring a quarter of the new pump with them when they leave? ;)

• Advertisement

Chill. You're more worked up about it than I am, and I'm the one facing the bill :D

And maybe read my OP again, I didn't say 'pay for it', I asked about 'contribution towards the cost'.

Anyway, it's been resolved, the pressure issue is not as bad as the plumber had thought, so all good

If it helps you bear the weight, you can always take comfort from the fact that they tenant does contribute towards the cost of repairs by paying the rent.

As regards the plumber's advice, the drop off in pressure might be an issue at periods of peak demand, ie when everyone is having a shower between 7:30am and 8:30am. If the plumber has tested the pressure in the middle of the day, this will not be apparent but the issue for the tenant will remain. Ultimately, having to call plumbers out more frequently if this transpires to be the case will cost you more. If you lived there for a while, can you ask some of your former neighbours if they have had the same problem and how they've dealt with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement