Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Install in Self Build Camper - RGI - Question

Options
  • 12-09-2013 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there,

Any self builders out there who have gone through the hoops in getting a Van/Minibus converted into a Campervan???

I'm in the planning process of doing so.

My question is regarding the gas cooker install. I know this has to be performed by a RGI registered gas installer, but with regards to planning out the van - Is there anywhere where the cooker cannot be? e.g. over the diesel/petrol tank ?? Does it have to be beside a door?? How much clearance over the hob ???

Any help would be great concerning this matter.

Rosco.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Sorry to piggy-back on your question, but, Does it have to be an RGII fitter? I ask because back when I did my GIS/GID, RGII only covered Nat Gas domestic installs and the insrtuctor could not show me any regs regarding caravan/mobilehome/camper regs. I know that UK/NI do have regs that are specfic to the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

se conman wrote: »
    Sorry to piggy-back on your question, but, Does it have to be an RGII fitter? I ask because back when I did my GIS/GID, RGII only covered Nat Gas domestic installs and the insrtuctor could not show me any regs regarding caravan/mobilehome/camper regs. I know that UK/NI do have regs that are specfic to the above.

I'd say its stilla grey area, could they claim its domestic - "any building or part of a building used as a private place of residence"

"From 27th June 2011, it will be an offence for any person to carry out domestic gas work on Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)"

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2011/en.si.2011.0299.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Cheers for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

When I did my RGII certification , we got certified for Leisure Accomodation vehicles only.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

Common sense rules, presumably.

• Advertisement

Common sense rules, presumably.
    How do you mean?

Ventilation is the big thing with a cooker, or indeed any non room sealed appliance. Also the proper valves, piping, installation of piping and the type of cooker itself.

What i'm getting at is the design plan of the van.

There is a sky light, obviously doors, windows etc... for ventilation.

The cooker install will be done by a RGI installer, so no issues with piping and correct fittings, hole for gas to escape, etc..

Area around/above the gas hob, 12 inches, 18 inches??? Is there a specified requirement or common sense rule, presumably?

What do you mean by the area around the hob, 12 inches?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    What do you mean by the area around the hob, 12 inches?

The gas rings that you cook on. Clearance above the gas rings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭holyhutzpa

I wouldn't think that 12 inches isn't enough clearance above the gas if you intend to cook anything...

Most micro conversions you see have closer to double that above the gas.

What are you converting that space is that tight? Is there standing room? Are the hobs at waistish level?

Hi thanks for the response.

Its ok, i'll put it to a RGI person.

Just thought that someone may have planned out a cooker in a self build camper, with whatever dimensions are needed to operate a gas hob safely.

Just thought i could save some time.

Consider this thread closed

Advertisement