Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Naval Technical Jobs

Options
  • 12-09-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

If anyone is interested in an exciting employment opportunity the Naval Service is looking for Engine Room Artificers.

If you are a level 6 tradesman (fitter/mechanic/maintenance fitter) or a level 7 marine engineer/mechanical engineer or EOOW qualified this would be an amazing chance at a new career.

The successful candidates would be taken in as acting leading hands (junior NCOs) and after less than 1 years training would be full Leading Hands, less than two years later they would be Petty Officers (Sergeants) it takes nearly 7 years to get to Petty Officer if you start as an apprentice, so you would be bypassing years of training due to your qualifications.

If you would like to know anything more about what an ERA in the Naval Service is or what the job entails please ask me here and I'll be delighted to tell you.

If you know anyone qualified like above tell them about this chance it's an unreal opportunity to get straight into a Naval Service Career.

Most PO/ERAs in the service are dual if not triple qualified engineers as well as been at the heart of the engineering branch and while afloat are integral in the firefighting, damage control, armed boarding teams.

The training is second too none and the opportunities for technical training and professional advancement are huge.

And average PO/ ERA can expect to be after a few years service a level 6 tradesman, level 7 EOOW qualified with a level 7 ordinary degree in leadership and management.

As well as about €600.00 a week take home which is decent wage, you can earn an extra €140-160 a week patrol duty allowance when you are attached to a ship.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Just a link for anyone interested:

http://www.military.ie/careers/

New advert for this exciting career!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Is this an officer or rating position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Is this an officer or rating position?

ERA. Non Commissioned. Will on completion of training be appointed as Leading ERA.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That's what I thought. Very surprised to see them including EOOW as one of the required criteria for selection. You don't study and work for three years just to sail as a motorman. The only time I ever came across it was guys from Eastern European countries who could earn more as a motorman in a Northern European company than at home as a 4/E or even a 3/E. Irish EOOWs will be off earning a decent living I would imagine.

• Advertisement

Not sure what point you are making to be honest.

It's like looking for a doctor to do a nurses job. Can't imagine they'll be lining up to apply.

I disagree.
    Why exclude someone from an appointment because they are over qualified?

Sure, it's worth a punt. But as I say, why study and work for all those years to take a big decrease in salary and responsibility?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Sure, it's worth a punt. But as I say, why study and work for all those years to take a big decrease in salary and responsibility?

Some people want the decrease in responsibility. Depends where you came from. Then again, if you were stuck on FOC coasters for your merchant career, the NS would be an opportunity to upskill.
    In reality, ERAs aboard NS ships do similar duties to 2nd and 3rd engineers. Naval vessels usually carry only one MEO. There are also mechs to do the "unskilled" work.
    Below deck, it is very difficult to draw comparisons between Merchant and Naval Vessels.

• Advertisement

What's the starting pay (roughly even)? and would there be the opportunity in reality to progress?

http://www.military.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/careers/T_C_2013/13-09-06_DE_ERA_Conditions_En.pdf

Starts at €512/wk as a L/ERA. Plus Naval Pay, Tech pay, Patrol duty allowance, Military Service allowance etc. Because of the shortage of ERAs(current strength is half what should be) progression is assured. 43 Days leave per year when seagoing too.

Thanks goldie for assisting in replies to the questions.

PO/ERAs are not classic motormen, the MEO onboard irish naval vessel is more of administrative role they do not hold a watch or do any physical work.

The PO/ERA is the watch keeper and under the direction if the CPO/ERA carries out all work required on all mechanical systems.

The PO/ERA is the firefighting and damage control co ordination controller.

The PO/ERA is also a key NCO on the naval boarding teams for boardings other than routine fisheries.

Most PO/ERAs are dual qualified EOOW/Trade, a number have a second full trade as well.

The PO/ERA will most likely also be an advanced instructor in one or more of thr following Confined Spaces Entry and Rescue, Tower Climbing and Rescue from Heights, Naval Boarding, Physical Training etc.

PO/ERAs are some of the more invested in personnel that the defence forces has.

PO/ERAs are highly skilled, highly trained and unfortunately for the Naval Service highly mobile.

There has been a great interest in these positions and it might be possible that 10 new artificers may be selected.

Don't miss this opportunity to start a new career in the Irish Naval Service.

PM myself if you would like any behind the scenes info. or interview advice.

Advertisement