Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a 'storm' coming, where is everyone?

Options
  • 12-09-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭

Well maybe not a storm but certainly interesting weather and how it will affect the flightfest in Dublin...
    gfs-0-72.png?12?12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Eh? A storm for the Faroe Islands maybe but just a fresh day down in these parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Eh? A storm for the Faroe Islands maybe but just a fresh day down in these parts!

As my comment above the chart said :rolleyes:
    Granted my title is misleading I just thought it might have sparked some interest...I'll go back to hibernation so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I have a friend who's channel swim is on hold due to the weather. Not good after 2 years of intensive training. :(

On the other hand, I am really in the mood for some quality weather watching :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Gales around the coast, blustery ole wind inland. It's September, we're just getting going, hopefully. Might be a better one mid week, more runs needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

sparrowcar wrote: »
    As my comment above the chart said :rolleyes:
    Granted my title is misleading I just thought it might have sparked some interest...I'll go back to hibernation so :P

Probably a bit misleading alright but no need to go into hibernation ;)
    North and north west coasts will get the strongest of the winds. Nothing out of the ordinary speed wise but it will be more interesting than the rather mundane weather of late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its potentially a weekend wrecker all right - Harvest Festival in Waterford atm, the events on the quay on Sunday are going to be a washout I'd say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This is where I'm watching currently.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Speaking of the flightfest, some large glass windows/panels fell out of one of the newer buildings along the quay during a test flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

mike65 wrote: »
    Its potentially a weekend wrecker all right - Harvest Festival in Waterford atm, the events on the quay on Sunday are going to be a washout I'd say.
    There will be rain but I doubt if it will be a washout. These fronts will pass through quickly giving squally conditions for a time.
    I can't wait for some weather with blue skies and big cnb clouds :) this perpetual greyness is doin' my head in!

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax60s.gif?12-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Met Eireann have issued a STATUS YELLOW Warning
    Wind Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan
    SW winds, later veering W, will reach mean speeds of 45 kph and will gust 80-100 kph

Issued:Saturday 14 September 2013 13:00
    Valid:Sunday 15 September 2013 06:00 to Sunday 15 September 2013 23:59

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Doesn't seem like a fresh breeze anymore....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

eskimocat wrote: »
    I have a friend who's channel swim is on hold due to the weather. Not good after 2 years of intensive training. :(

On the other hand, I am really in the mood for some quality weather watching :)

sorry if this is dragging the thread o/t - but did your friend get to swim? (I'm assuming you're talking the English Channel) There were at least 7 swimmers doing the Channel on Thursday, we were sailing down the channel east-west and getting regular position updates for them, I was fascinated by the whole thing and wonder how they all got on! Going by the radio updates, there seemed to be only one left in the end.... I wonder did he/she make it?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    sorry if this is dragging the thread o/t - but did your friend get to swim? (I'm assuming you're talking the English Channel) There were at least 7 swimmers doing the Channel on Thursday, we were sailing down the channel east-west and getting regular position updates for them, I was fascinated by the whole thing and wonder how they all got on! Going by the radio updates, there seemed to be only one left in the end.... I wonder did he/she make it?

She didn't get to swim yet. :( They are hoping for Tue but again its weather dependant and by the looks of what's coming, the storm would need to blow itself out pretty quickly if that's to happen. By the way there is a website to track some channel crossings... www.lovechannelswimming.com you can follow them in real time and you might be able to find out how that group got on.

Back on topic again....Can I just check, the storm that's coming in, is courtesy of the Jet Stream right? its nothing to do with Ingrid or Humberto ????? or are they connected.. Haven't been online much to catch up... so would someone please sneak me the cliff notes?
    :D

Okay so nothing to do with Humberto anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Just had a couple of flashes of lightning here, very blue flashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Some fairly serious lightening here just outside Sligo Town (visiting).
    Electricity went off momentarily.

The ESB's online fault monitoring system is a good way of checking what's going on.

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

You'll usually get a few outages in areas with a lot of lightening activity.

on rain today it's showing a fairly intense little cell , blues and white showing very heavy rain, another flash just now .

Nice big rattles of thunder to go with it.... haven't managed to catch the flashes, but the power went here momentarily too. Winds pretty strong at times. The old (rotten) tree in my garden finally gave up and fell over too. Thankfully due to a combination of fairy lights and thick clematis stems, it was a graceful folding.

Yes folks, we definitely have weather out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Thunder, lightening and very strong winds all night in Sligo town! Heavy shower of hailstones around 7pm...somebody needs to tell the weather gods its only September.

• Advertisement

Some very heavy short lived but frequent showers with hail mixed in.

Still extremely blustery with strong gusts and a mixture of very heavy showers and hail in Sligo at the moment. It was pretty seriously stormy all night and really hasn't let up at all this morning.

Advertisement