Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New rider, 25, what will €2k realistically get me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i think the major stumbling block will be insurance as a first time rider, i'd check with a few companies before going any further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

imo, bit big.

Nothing wrong with a 600 in itself as a starter, in fact to get your unrestricted A you need a bike of 600cc minimum.

but not a proper sports bike like the gixxer or ninja r. Mad ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

kaimera wrote: »
    imo, bit big.

Nothing wrong with a 600 in itself as a starter, in fact to get your unrestricted A you need a bike of 600cc minimum.

but not a proper sports bike like the gixxer or ninja r. Mad ted.

kinda was hinting that meself but in a roundabout way!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

600cc+ sports bike do not a learner bike make imo

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Forums/655/1/Thread/Sportbikes-are-NOT-Beginner-Bikes
    .aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 28 newtodub

How about a Bandit or a Hornet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I got a Bandit 650 in March, first bike, same age, insurance wasn't too bad <800 and I'm absolutely loving it! Spent a bit more than 2k on it though (for an 06)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

An SV650 is a great choice and handle restriction well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

2k will get you decent gear, IBT and your insurance!

Better get saving if you want a bike aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Stay away from those bikes you posted a link to. They are sportsbikes, which would cost too much to insure.
    Go for Bandit, Hornet, Fazer 600, SV650 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

A 600 single trail bike is a great bike to learn on . Loads of torque, and easy to insure compared to the sports bike market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The R at the end of those will make your insurance go FAR FAR past where it would be at for a 600 that doesn't have an R on it. (in general)

Read the article posted earlier.... all of it. It's a good and convincing read.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    2k will get you decent gear, IBT and your insurance!

Better get saving if you want a bike aswell!

I'm not silly and have cash €2k is just for the bike :) I've €5k for this set aside.

Fair comments all around, going to get my IBT done, guys gonna put me on 3 different bikes during the course, think I'll know at the end what works for me.

Back to the bike in question, skip the first timer point, if it did suit then €2k a reasonable price for something that should be in fairly decent condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

You're going to be restricted to 33bhp anyway so stick with a Bandit or Fazer. I have a restricted(waiting for the part to derestrict it since my two years are up) Bandit 600n and there's more than enough power starting out. It lets itself down with a lack of a screen but only on motorways. Great commuter bike but will give you a laugh on weekend spins too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

flyton5 wrote: »
    You're going to be restricted to 33bhp anyway so stick with a Bandit or Fazer. I have a restricted(waiting for the part to derestrict it since my two years are up) Bandit 600n and there's more than enough power starting out. It lets itself down with a lack of a screen but only on motorways. Great commuter bike but will give you a laugh on weekend spins too.

Hes 25, can he not go straight into unrestricted now with the rule changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Hes 25, can he not go straight into unrestricted now with the rule changes?

I never realised that. Probably because it didn't apply to me. I retract everything.

Get a loan and buy a Triumph Street Triple R.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

newtodub wrote: »
    So,

been driving a car for a good 8 years so comfortable with the roads but totally new to motorbiking.

Going for my IBT soon so want to get a set of wheels.

Seems 600cc is the right power to go for from what I've been told and now like t consider what bike.

I've seen some real nice sporty bikes for 2k on adverts.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/suzuki/other-suzuki/mint-gsxr600-k1/3412933
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/kawasaki/other-kawasaki/kawasaki-ninja-600r/3755013

Are they too big of a bike for me, are they too old and knackered or a good chance they'll be alright.

Suggestions welcome

From the gsxr ad.
    Fast bike certainly not for first timer.

Get a bandit/fazer/hornet or something similar.
    Much easier to drive starting off and will have plenty of pull to get you going!
    Less expensive to fix if you drop it as well.;)

Advertisement