Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Van Persie doesn't deliver this weekend.......... All eggs in one Game Week basket

• 12-09-2013 10:52pm
    Site Banned Posts: 34

How damaging will it be in terms of long term FPL prospects?

By the looks of things a lot of wildcards are being played on the premise of Robin Van Persie getting a healthy score this weekend.

Does it smack of short term-ism or is the Van Persie transfer-in a pragmatic one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

How damaging will it be in terms of long term FPL prospects?

By the looks of things a lot of wildcards are being played on the premise of Robin Van Persie getting a healthy score this weekend.

Does it smack of short term-ism or is the Van Persie transfer-in a pragmatic one?

Im playing my wildcard and bringing him in with the sole intention of just keeping him for this GW. My thinking is he is the best captain choice this week so it makes sense to make the most of my wildcard to have him. Then transfer him to sturridge next week who has a much better fixture. It gives me 5 million to play around with over a few weeks. My first issue will be my goalkeeper Ive gone with Boruc he has 3 decent home games in the next 4 so have no problem with that. After that his fixtures turn so I'll use some of the money for cech, Hart or DDg. I also have some money earmarked to get in sakho or toure(too risky to go with either now) with a bit leftover for a midfield upgrade or bent to lukaku. I think once you have a plan its not a bad idea. I could also just hold rvp for another couple of weeks if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Been resisting the idea of bringing him in so far. Saying that, i'm using my wildcard this week, and it's still in the back of my mind ....will I/won't I.

See nothing wrong with anyone wildcarding in Rvp, if anything it's easier to bring him in on a wildcard and if he's not getting the points it's easy to ship him out.

The one concern i have is in not selecting him, is if he starts banging in goals for fun, it's gonna be a lot harder to get him in having already used the wildcard! Would probably be looking at have to make at least 3 transfers and a points hit if you decide you need him in.

Ok, i'm gonna shut up, otherwise i'm gonna talk myself into completely changing my team!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I have him but I think wildcarding him in for one week is madness. It'll take too many transfers to get him back out and spread the cash around your team.

You can make all the plans you want for transfers but what happens when people get injured, suspended, suddenly lose their place etc. You'll end up taking points hits and eroding whatever gain you got from RVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

I thought the same thing but when I play around with my side WITHOUT Van Persie(which means more big hitters in midfield), I do wonder if that is a better option. The midfield has been a minefield so far.

With Van Persie you can still have:
    4 DEFS from top sides
    2 big hitting mids
    2 quality strikers + Van Persie

Without him I can still get 3 quality strikers and invest more in midfield which isnt looking too appealing right now:
    Spurs(Lamela/Eriksen) might be options in time if they show something
    Chelsea....abundance of quality mids...may go back for Hazard later, rotation risks
    Liverpool.....Coutinho off form, Gerrard 9m but playing deep..relying on pens there
    United.....no mids stand out to me
    City.....dont want Toure or Silva...always better options in those price-ranges IMO.

Do have Theo + Lamps already. And getting price rises from Toure, Pablo Hernandez over the int'l break.

It's an interesting one as I think Palace at home will be a cakewalk for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Why do you think this? Most people (myself included) are looking at medium term up to GW 10 (at least). The new BPS and tricky midfield selection makes this easy.

Busts is the only one here I know planning on transferring him GW5.

Actually Busts I too am struggling with your planned RVP move next week. Why not have Sturridge now with RVP? Considering you are going Bent you will have a nice 2-2.5 mill extra than a lot of teams. Is the extra money you generate GW5 that necessary for you ? Bent and Boruc are surely in your team for 4 GW's? You will most likely be able to phase the new guys in what with injuries etc, and could end up being marginal anyway on the short term

If what you consider an absolute must have expensive mid emerges, you could always just downgrade RVP to Tekkers/Soldado (even Rooney:rolleyes:) at a 4 point hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

RVP is hardly a gamble. 14m was too much at the start of the season but he is on form and with 101.3 in the bank I was a lot happier to get him in, it's also a reasonably easy fix if he doesn't work out. RVP+cheap mid out for good striker and good mid if any of them ever hit form.

moreau wrote: »
    Why do you think this? Most people (myself included) are looking at medium term up to GW 10 (at least). The new BPS and tricky midfield selection makes this easy.

Busts is the only one here I know planning on transferring him GW5.

Actually Busts I too am struggling with your planned RVP move next week. Why not have Sturridge now with RVP? Considering you are going Bent you will have a nice 2-2.5 mill extra than a lot of teams. Is the extra money you generate GW5 that necessary for you ? Bent and Boruc are surely in your team for 4 GW's? You will most likely be able to phase the new guys in what with injuries etc, and could end up being marginal anyway on the short term

If what you consider an absolute must have expensive mid emerges, you could always just downgrade RVP to Tekkers/Soldado (even Rooney:rolleyes:) at a 4 point hit.
    Its all gone to pot now anyway, but my thinking was I wanted sturridge soldado bent as my front 3 after this week but wanted rvp this week. I prefered soldados fixture over sturridges this week so was going to go rvp bent soldado this week and sturridge bent soldado next week. Id no problem leaving 5 million in the bank and working it into my team over a few weeks as I felt my team was going to be strong anyway with sturridge bent soldado lampard ozil walcott vidic dawson Collins Toure Boruc and 3 reasonable subs. Now I really dont know what I will do. Before rooneys injury my plan was rooney sturridge soldado and when he is fit again thats the way I see myself going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

We might as well be honest with ourselves here, we can be a very reasonable bunch most of the time, when I started posting here first I thought banter would be the order of the day, as it turned out schadenfreude isn't encouraged around here but if RVP fails to deliver tomorrow there's gonna be a lot of satisfied heads on here, will we be able to keep it to ourselves?:confused::pac:

We might as well be honest with ourselves here, we can be a very reasonable bunch most of the time, when I started posting here first I thought banter would be the order of the day, as it turned out schadenfreude isn't encouraged around here but if RVP fails to deliver tomorrow there's gonna be a lot of satisfied heads on here, will we be able to keep it to ourselves?:confused::pac:

even though I'll probably have RVP. I wont begrudge any gloating from the non rvp men as I'll be back in that camp soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I initially sold him when I used the wildcard last week but after reviewing his upcoming fixtures I have brought him back in.

His next 7 games are:

Palace H
    City A
    WBA H
    Sunderland A
    Southampton H
    Stoke H
    Fulham A

Apart from City away, he could go on a big scoring run through those matches.

I am concerned about Rooney though. He showed a lot of selfishness V Chelsea and wouldn't pass it to RVP on several occasions close to goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I won't be gloating* if he fails.

*that is in no way a guarantee

Next 7 fixtures look nice, plenty nice enough for Moyes to give him the odd rest ahead of Champs League. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

even though I'll probably have RVP. I wont begrudge any gloating from the non rvp men as I'll be back in that camp soon enough.

Me neither tbh because its a brave brave man that won't have him tomorrow

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    I won't be gloating* if he fails.

*that is in no way a guarantee

Next 7 fixtures look nice, plenty nice enough for Moyes to give him the odd rest ahead of Champs League. :)

Thats my thinking although rooney needs to be fit for this to have a chance of happening. Also with holland already qualified for the world cup he may get a breather in one of the games over the international break as opposed to my initial thinking of him having to squeeze another 2 games in there. These next 2-3 months are the busiest time of the season pretty much 2 games a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

14.0m is a lot to ask for a player in FantasyPL

I know he scores roughly 250 points a year for the last two years
    I know he has Crystal Palace at home, a leaky City defense Away, and West Brom at home as his next three fixtures.

This is Moyes's first season in charge, no more Fergie.
    RVP has had two poor games against Chelsea and Liverpool, I don't know if it was a lack of service or lack of sharpness (?)

This is the gamble, to accommodate RVP, I will have to seriously downgrade one of my top players or take modest cuts on two players.

Will he score a hat-trick? Will he pull a hamstring?

There is 30 mins to my wildcard deadline and I don't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

14.0m is a lot to ask for a player in FantasyPL

I know he scores roughly 250 points a year for the last two years
    I know he has Crystal Palace at home, a leaky City defense Away, and West Brom at home as his next three fixtures.

This is Moyes's first season in charge, no more Fergie.
    RVP has had two poor games against Chelsea and Liverpool, I don't know if it was a lack of service or lack of sharpness (?)

This is the gamble, to accommodate RVP, I will have to seriously downgrade one of my top players or take modest cuts on two players.

Will he score a hat-trick? Will he pull a hamstring?

There is 30 mins to my wildcard deadline and I don't know what to do.

Don't put RVP in and just don't watch the first game...thats my plan anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Anyone else worried that the Moyes factor (being a **** negative manager) will affect RVP's 14 mil value?

CSF wrote: »
    Anyone else worried that the Moyes factor (being a **** negative manager) will affect RVP's 14 mil value?

I'm getting rid after this weekend if i don't pick up any injuries. Way too expensive for what he's returning.

Utd don't seem set up for him anymore. Those long balls in are ridiculous!

CSF wrote: »

I think rooney will be the way I go for utd coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I think rooney will be the way I go for utd coverage.

Looks the move to make and saving buckets of cash also.

dahat wrote: »
    Looks the move to make and saving buckets of cash also.

its a shame he got injured as I would have saved myself a transfer. Rooneys price will shoot up he currently has very low ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

its a shame he got injured as I would have saved myself a transfer. Rooneys price will shoot up he currently has very low ownership.

I may make the move tonight if he starts to get transfers in which is highly likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

I may make the move tonight if he starts to get transfers in which is highly likely

don't forget united play leverkusen tuesday, i'd wait until after that anyway.

the thing is his transfers in will more than likely be at the expense of rvp aswell. Definetely something to keep an eye on.

Rooney didn't play against Liverpool. Was he injured?

G1032 wrote: »
    Rooney didn't play against Liverpool. Was he injured?
    yeah he had just got that head gash the day before, he also missed england's matches because of it.

RVP is not in any of the top 10 teams in the overall standings. Food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Have Giroud - Sturridge - Benteke up front.

And still have 6.2 million to spare and still don't want Van Persie.

That money will be used to bring in a 4th and 5th good defender and improve midfield though.

I'm going to stick with him. He hit the crossbar as well yesterday so could have had two.

This time last year he wasn't setting the world alight (bar the hat trick at Saints)
    and I dropped him and he went in a fantastic run. I reckon not having him for that period cost me a top 2k finish.

I won't be making the same mistake again.

No logic to selling him now, especially to upgrade midfield.

• Advertisement

Santi101 wrote: »
    No logic to selling him now, especially to upgrade midfield.

There is logic if the right midfielders are picked and the team ends up better off than if Van Persie was there.

Depends if you're happy with your side, I am at this point. 4 quality defenders, 2 expensive mids, Van Persie plus two 9m strikers.

I'll probably hang tight until Suarez returns and see if any mids step up. Mind you I wont be touching Yaya, Ben Arfa or any of them bandwagons tbh.

Depends if you're happy with your side, I am at this point. 4 quality defenders, 2 expensive mids, Van Persie plus two 9m strikers.

I'll probably hang tight until Suarez returns and see if any mids step up. Mind you I wont be touching Yaya, Ben Arfa or any of them bandwagons tbh.
    Who are your defenders?

Zab, Terry, Vidic & Coleman(will go to an Arsenal defender eventually).

Must say, I'm delighted with my side. A slice of luck this season and I'm currently 4000th.

Midfield: Ramsey, Ben Arfa, Barkley, Gerrard, Mirallas.

Mind you, I've had the Ramsey and Ben Arfa for 2 weeks.

And then Giroud - Sturridge - Benteke up front.
    ---

Though I think that Ben Arfa isn't simply just a bandwagon for a few weeks. He is Newcastle's star player in my opinion and will score several goals this season.
    Yaya scored 2 free-kicks and plays in a deep role. Definitely not worth it.

Have a free transfer so will knock off Mirallas for Eriksen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭Algeria

I'm gonna move for Wayne Rooney after the Manc Derby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think it's time for me to remove RVP.

I just don't think he's is going to be worth the extra 5m this season compared to Benteke. So my front three for now would be Sturridge/Benteke/Giroud. Gives me an extra 5m to bolster the backline with top 6 defenders....

SantryRed wrote: »
    I think it's time for me to remove RVP.

I just don't think he's is going to be worth the extra 5m this season compared to Benteke. So my front three for now would be Sturridge/Benteke/Giroud. Gives me an extra 5m to bolster the backline with top 6 defenders....

If Soldado gets his act together I think he'll score more than Benteke

At the same time, I don't think he'll get his act together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

bohsman wrote: »
    RVP is hardly a gamble. 14m was too much at the start of the season but he is on form and with 101.3 in the bank I was a lot happier to get him in, it's also a reasonably easy fix if he doesn't work out. RVP+cheap mid out for good striker and good mid if any of them ever hit form.

Just did this, him and ward prowse out, rooney and eriksen in

Rooney is gonna see A LOT of action!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Nobody could have seen his injury coming, despite the fact the club knew about it days in advance, but I guess they didnt want to tip off City. Fat lot of good keeping it secret did anyway

But all non-RVPers like myself are relieved any time he doesn't step onto the pitch. I imagine he will be sold in droves now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How long is he due out for?

Home to WBA this weekend could be a nice one to have him for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He's due back against Liverpool in the League Cup this week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

gimmick wrote: »
    How long is he due out for?

Home to WBA this weekend could be a nice one to have him for.

“We thought Robin would be okay. We gave him every chance. It’s nothing serious. He could be involved on Wednesday [against Liverpool] or next weekend [against West Brom]….I don’t think it’s that bad, we thought he was going to make it. He just felt something in his groin. He did a bit of training in the last couple of days, but he just felt it when he did any sharp movements and he didn’t want to aggravate it, so we took the decision [to not play him today]“

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Would love if RVP doesn't play against West Brom.

I hope he doesn't play vs Liverpool. If he does I might take him out but for Aguero rather than Rooney,

decided against RVP to Suarez for a hit, i've got off to a terrible start and RVP will be a very nice differential over the next few weeks, he has some brilliant fixtures to captain him for.

was a very tough call because
    •suarez is likely to rise .3 this week (.2 minimum) while RVP will most likely drop at least .1.
    •suarez is at home to the worst team in the league and also has great fixtures coming up and with liverpool having no other competitions to worry about until january he is rotation proof.
    •getting suarez also means i'm not doubling up on any one teams strikers (rooney and giroud are my other 2 strikers)
    •i'd save 3.1 million.

so great reasons to get him, how about reasons to stick with RVP.

•first of all, he's been the best striker in the league over the last 2 seasons, he started off brightly this season.
    •a lot of people will be ditching RVP after 0 and 1 scores in the last 2 weeks, if i am to make up ground i need to take a chance, RVP is a great differential and a great captian choice.
    •whilst from a united fan's point of view, these past couple of weeks have been torture, but what it has done is make the likes of RVP much better FF picks, Moyes can not take another risk like he did saturday and f**k up team selection no matter how weak the opposition looks.
    •I have no area that the 3.1 is jumping out at me that i could use, if i was thinking, "oh yeah,if i get suarez in this week i can now afford ****** next week" then i might be swayed but i think the money would be sitting there for a while.

Even watching everton now, i'd love to have lukaku in my team, or i'd love to have sturridge, he's absolutely on fire, i'd like to have given soldado a bit longer, but we only have room for 3 strikers so instead of asking myself, can i afford not to have suarez i asked myself, can i afford to ditch RVP and the answer was there............"Nope! not just yet"

Hogey007 wrote: »
    decided against RVP to Suarez for a hit, i've got off to a terrible start and RVP will be a very nice differential over the next few weeks, he has some brilliant fixtures to captain him for.

was a very tough call because
    •suarez is likely to rise .3 this week (.2 minimum) while RVP will most likely drop at least .1.
    •suarez is at home to the worst team in the league and also has great fixtures coming up and with liverpool having no other competitions to worry about until january he is rotation proof.
    •getting suarez also means i'm not doubling up on any one teams strikers (rooney and giroud are my other 2 strikers)
    •i'd save 3.1 million.

so great reasons to get him, how about reasons to stick with RVP.

•first of all, he's been the best striker in the league over the last 2 seasons, he started off brightly this season.
    •a lot of people will be ditching RVP after 0 and 1 scores in the last 2 weeks, if i am to make up ground i need to take a chance, RVP is a great differential and a great captian choice.
    •whilst from a united fan's point of view, these past couple of weeks have been torture, but what it has done is make the likes of RVP much better FF picks, Moyes can not take another risk like he did saturday and f**k up team selection no matter how weak the opposition looks.
    •I have no area that the 3.1 is jumping out at me that i could use, if i was thinking, "oh yeah,if i get suarez in this week i can now afford ****** next week" then i might be swayed but i think the money would be sitting there for a while.

Even watching everton now, i'd love to have lukaku in my team, or i'd love to have sturridge, he's absolutely on fire, i'd like to have given soldado a bit longer, but we only have room for 3 strikers so instead of asking myself, can i afford not to have suarez i asked myself, can i afford to ditch RVP and the answer was there............"Nope! not just yet"
    Damage is done with having rvp so its what happens next that matters. Im not sure this weekend is a great fixture for utd due to more than likely playing their full strength team in donetsk and a long flight back before an away game on the sat. However, I may well get him back in and captain him for the two home games after the international break. Glad I dont have him at the moment but have the money to get him back in if needed. Id be slightly worried Moyes may see rooney as his main man. Thought it strange he gave rooney the armband in recent games he seems to be doing everything to appease him. If rooney plays wed and sat thats 7 games in 3 weeks. There is no other striker at any of the CL teams that will have played that amount of minutes these last 3 weeks.

Damage is done with having rvp so its what happens next that matters. Im not sure this weekend is a great fixture for utd due to more than likely playing their full strength team in donetsk and a long flight back before an away game on the sat. However, I may well get him back in and captain him for the two home games after the international break. Glad I dont have him at the moment but have the money to get him back in if needed. Id be slightly worried Moyes may see rooney as his main man. Thought it strange he gave rooney the armband in recent games he seems to be doing everything to appease him. If rooney plays wed and sat thats 7 games in 3 weeks. There is no other striker at any of the CL teams that will have played that amount of minutes these last 3 weeks.

yeah i will be very fearful wathcing the scores come in saturday as suarez and sturridge run riot but i just couldn't bring myself to get rid of him for a hit. if i was wildcarding now, or had a free transfer i'd get suarez in for this week and then look at getting RVP back in but that's not a luxury i have, i know i'm going to lose value, it's not unrealistic to think that suarez could rise .6 over the next 2 gameweeks (if he scores 2 or 3 more v palace), whilst RVP could fall .2, even .3 over that period, it's a big swing so i felt i had to make my mind up today before his first price rise and just stick with it. if i can make it through this weekend without too much damage i might be ok, as you say, united are away in the ukraine on wednesday and then play saturday, this decision alone could make it near impossible to claw back a poor start. But i tried to base my decision over the next 6 gameweeks and not just look at this weekend. (others of course who have free transfers and don't have players like chester they need to move on soon can afford to look short term)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hogey007 wrote: »
    yeah i will be very fearful wathcing the scores come in saturday as suarez and sturridge run riot but i just couldn't bring myself to get rid of him for a hit. if i was wildcarding now, or had a free transfer i'd get suarez in for this week and then look at getting RVP back in but that's not a luxury i have, i know i'm going to lose value, it's not unrealistic to think that suarez could rise .6 over the next 2 gameweeks (if he scores 2 or 3 more v palace), whilst RVP could fall .2, even .3 over that period, it's a big swing so i felt i had to make my mind up today before his first price rise and just stick with it. if i can make it through this weekend without too much damage i might be ok, as you say, united are away in the ukraine on wednesday and then play saturday, this decision alone could make it near impossible to claw back a poor start. But i tried to base my decision over the next 6 gameweeks and not just look at this weekend. (others of course who have free transfers and don't have players like chester they need to move on soon can afford to look short term)

Don't see RVP falling, if he scores against Sunderland (likely enough) he'll be solid enough

Don't see RVP falling, if he scores against Sunderland (likely enough) he'll be solid enough

he'll def drop at least .1 before the weekend, unless he does something spectacular in donetsk to make people reconsider, he's on 73% to a drop now and falling quickly, i think it was about 40% on sunday.

the problem is, so many people will be looking towards suarez at home to palace and will only be able to afford him in 1 transfer by dropping RVP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement