Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exercise ideas for pup

• 12-09-2013 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have a 10-11 week pup. Cross between a jack, bichon and westie. He is only getting his final vaccinations next week.

I'm out of ideas for him. I get up with him around 6, usually he hasn't started barking by then, but the last couple of mornings he has. I play with him till I have to go to work, about 7, though I eat a brekkie in there too. Then his mammy, my fiance, gets up and plays with him till she goes to work, about 8:15. He is outside during the day, and seems happy to do so.

My fiance's brother works around the corner from ours and tries to drop down at lunch when he can. That's about 20 mins of exercise, depending on how his schedule is.

In the evenings, my better half gets home first, and plays with him for a while while doing house hold stuff, and then I help when I get home.

We play foot ball with him, throw his balls and other toys, and play with h him in hand. We also try to train him, he will suit now and leave treats while my finger is in his collor and sometimes without. We only try to train him for 15 mind before we go back to playing.

The last couple of days, he is getting hyper at 10, and won't settle. His barking keeps us up, I am sure it annoys the neighbours but they are too polite to say anything.

Until he gets his shots, I don't want to bring him for walks because of how unnecessarily risky it is, but other wise I can't seem to tire him. He then gets nippy and has broken skin. He had started barking and I don't want to push our luck with the neighbours, though he's not as bad as a baby he is still pretty bad.

Any ideas on how to tie him out and get him to bed on time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

How to get him like this, please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What are you feeding him? (my first guess is pedigree, second guess is Hills?)

tk123 wrote: »
    What are you feeding him? (my first guess is pedigree, second guess is Hills?)

Red mill. Pedegrie was not recommended, and the vet seemed happy with this stuff

folan wrote: »
    Red mill. Pedegrie was not recommended, and the vet seemed happy with this stuff

Afaik some of the red mills variety are better than others. The quality of the food will have a big impact on how the pup acts - the more cereal and crappy fillers the more hyper the pup will be.

tk123 wrote: »
    Afaik some of the red mills variety are better than others. The quality of the food will have a big impact on how the pup acts - the more cereal and crappy fillers the more hyper the pup will be.

OK I will look into it, also planning on moving to the science plan stuff, which the vet recommended.

• Advertisement

OK I will look into it, also planning on moving to the science plan stuff, which the vet recommended.

It's crap - if you think the pup is mad now he'll be twice as bad on hyper hills lol! If you do a search you'll find threads about recommended foods or let us know your budget and people will be able to recommend ones to try. I feed raw to my dog and pup and only use dry for treats so ca afford to buy premium ones because they last ages - atm we're using Lilly's kicthen since it was on offer on zooplus :p My pup is chilled out on raw though - everyone comments on it - especially other owners of hyper pups lol!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Seeing what your vet is recommending basically ignore anything and everything they tell you that involves buying the food from them. They are biased and not in a good way by the sound of it.

Advertisement