Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC too fast for my laptop?

• 12-09-2013 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭

Not a network expert lads, but got the Horizon box yesterday. I can get 80mb wirelessly, but it drops to about 50 when I plug in my Cat 6 cable. Suggestions that my laptop's Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller, might not be capable of more than the 50 mb.
    Would something like the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter improve my connection as I have 150 mb ?
    Thanks Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You need to check whether or not your network card is capable of 1Gbps - if its only 100Mbps you won't get anywhere close to 100Mbps let alone the 150bps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

You need to check whether or not your network card is capable of 1Gbps - if its only 100Mbps you won't get anywhere close to 100Mbps let alone the 150bps

Would not the USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter by pass the network card ?
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You have usb3 but not a gigabit ethernet card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Just to rule everything out, can you try another cable (Cat5e is fine for gigabit ethernet) and/or try your current cable in another network?

Yakuza wrote: »
    Just to rule everything out, can you try another cable (Cat5e is fine for gigabit ethernet) and/or try your current cable in another network?

USB 2 at the moment, but it's backwardly compatable. Yes tried Cat 5E cable as well but same result. More for interest that anything, 80mb is plenty for me.
    Thanks
    Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

daphil wrote: »
    USB 2 at the moment, but it's backwardly compatable. Yes tried Cat 5E cable as well but same result. More for interest that anything, 80mb is plenty for me.
    Thanks
    Dave

Backwards is 1, not 3. Waste of money getting any usb to network adapters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭coillcam

Not a network expert lads, but got the Horizon box yesterday. I can get 80mb wirelessly, but it drops to about 50 when I plug in my Cat 6 cable. Suggestions that my laptop's Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller, might not be capable of more than the 50 mb.
    Would something like the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter improve my connection as I have 150 mb ?
    Thanks Dave

Could you post the exact model number of your laptop? The lads will be able to troubleshoot it faster and give you more accurate advice.

Thanks Dave

FE = Fast Ethernet = 100Mb/s. You need a gigabit card.

Karsini wrote: »
    FE = Fast Ethernet = 100Mb/s. You need a gigabit card.

Thanks Lads
    Dave

Advertisement