Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

food for cat with only 2 teeth

• 13-09-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I have my cat almost 4 years he was a stray and in bad health. he was missing teeth and over time had to get more removed. a tooth growing very crooked then fell out about 6 months ago.

however, now im unsure whether dried food is good for him when he can only gulp it. he gets tinned fish regularly but im thinking would it be best to change his food to tinned food? he is meowing a lot for food when there is some in bowl!
    can anyone recommend something that is for a reasonable budget?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hi OP. When was his last vet visit?

A cat with few or little teeth is going to "gulp" food out of sheer hunger. He cannot eat solid food fullstop until you know he is not in oral pain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Also I'd not go with dried food as it should be chewed but rather wet food; either pate style food or something like Porta21/Applaws (both are shredded rather then sold chunks of meat which should go down easier).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Yes, defo stick with wet food. I have taken all my cats off dry food now as I think a good quality wet food is far better for them. Get one with a good percentage of meat not the supermarkets ones which really only contain a measly 4% meat.
    The uk (not the Irish one) zooplus is the cheapest if you can buy in bulk and when you buy cans, tetra pack- they will keep anyway. I find aniconda carny and bozita the best value for good quality high meat content.
    You should also ask your vet about feeding a bit of raw diet as it can help strengthen remaining teeth- obviously you may need to chop or blend to make it more palatable for his needs if it contains bones etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Forgot to mention, tinned fish is not recommended for cats- not good nutritionally. A good fish flavored pâté as mentioned by above is much better option. Again zoo plus have great selection

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭anoda_username

Firstly, thanks to everyone who replied. I have not brought him to the vet in a while, I think he's due another visit. Would the vet have to sedate him in order to examine his teeth?

I am surprised to hear that tinned fish is not of any benefit nutritionally to a cat. I am going to look at zooplus with the recommended food and see can I get something softer for him asap, will post to update.

• Advertisement

Looking at zooplus - bozita and applaws - Confused as whether pouches or tins are the best value and how long I would get out of them? If looking at pouches/tins what is the recommended weight per day for a male cat on average? Im looking to buy in bulk, he's generally not a fussy eater but there's so many flavours Im confused as to what to buy. Looking for any advice, thanks!

Edit: is this good value? http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/rafine/megapack/158224

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Looking at zooplus - bozita and applaws - Confused as whether pouches or tins are the best value and how long I would get out of them? If looking at pouches/tins what is the recommended weight per day for a male cat on average? Im looking to buy in bulk, he's generally not a fussy eater but there's so many flavours Im confused as to what to buy. Looking for any advice, thanks!

Edit: is this good value? http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/rafine/megapack/158224
    Can't recall on the top of my head but I'd guess about 150g a day at least but each brand will vary.

So here's the recommendations I'd give:
    Applaws - Any of the chicken versions
    Bozita - Gravy should go down easier; any of the reindeer (it's really chicken with 5% reindeer), chicken, beef or rabbit. You can buy smaller pouches to try them if he'll eat them first though. A pouch is basically a self sealing can (think milk carton thickness).
    Porta 21 - Any of the chicken versions.

Note that Applaws and Porta21 are complimentary foods; that means you still need to have kibble out (ideally soak them a bit to make them easier to eat); Bozita is a complete food so wet food only is needed.

The problem with Animonda is that it's relatively solid and in jelly; this is something you'll most likely want to avoid to make it easier on him.

Nody wrote: »
    Can't recall on the top of my head but I'd guess about 150g a day at least but each brand will vary.

So here's the recommendations I'd give:
    Applaws - Any of the chicken versions
    Bozita - Gravy should go down easier; any of the reindeer (it's really chicken with 5% reindeer), chicken, beef or rabbit. You can buy smaller pouches to try them if he'll eat them first though. A pouch is basically a self sealing can (think milk carton thickness).
    Porta 21 - Any of the chicken versions.

Note that Applaws and Porta21 are complimentary foods; that means you still need to have kibble out. Bozita is a complete food so wet food only is needed.

The problem with Animonda is that it's relatively solid and in jelly; this is something you'll most likely want to avoid to make it easier on him.

Thank you Nody, looks like I'll be going with Bozita as I want a complete wet food, I think it will be best. Would zooplus.co.uk be the cheapest?

What about the following, would this be suitable? http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/bozita/bozita_saver_packs/359321

Thank you Nody, looks like I'll be going with Bozita as I want a complete wet food, I think it will be best. Would zooplus.co.uk be the cheapest?

What about the following, would this be suitable? http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/bozita/bozita_saver_packs/359321
    Yes that would be suitable (any of the versions with Gravy would be) and in general I find Zooplus to be the cheapest online shop for most brands inc. Bozita; you may find due to delivery cost that Zooplus.ie works out cheaper over all though (5.9 GBP delivery charge on the UK site if you don't order for 79 GBP).

Either way I'd take him to the vet as soon as possible for professional help.

Advertisement