Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving / Meeting People

Options
  • 13-09-2013 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My wife and I are planning to move to Greystones from the USA for work. We are both 30, do not have any children, and will probably live in the Charlesland area.

How easy will it be for us "blow ins" to meet new friends in Greystones? Are there many people in our stage of life living in Charlesland/Greystones or is it mostly families with children? Are there many other expats living there?

We are both active and my wife is planning to join yoga/Pilates classes. I would begin work right away and my wife would seek work in the insurance industry shortly after we arrive.

Appreciate your insight!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

You should be fine, definitly look at doing some local classes and activities and you should meet people easily enough.

Walking and running groups may be a good idea too.

If you have kids there's a charlesland baby and toddler group as well I think

Do you want to buy an apartment ?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Shoreline Gym has all you need in that dept. Off peak is €37 per month so good value too. Very social coff shop there now and many others in town too. About 10 I think. Three pubs as well where you will meet people. Charlesland has made the town a mix of people from everywhere else so there is only a small bit of the blow in stuff now. It's friendly enough and has few social issues or problems, Police are excellent. Restaurants are good in the town. Plenty of good walks or runs nearby also. You'll like it. And yes there are lots of couples with no kids in Charlesland as many of the homes are not family homes as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sportswise Charlesland is stuck between 2 gyms Go and Shoreline and near to lots of other sporting facilities; Soccer, Rugby, GAA, the beach, Tennis

Theres a good directory here

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/community-directory/

and here as well

http://www.wicklowcommunitydirectory.ie/

There is also a new Meetup.com group that seems to have started recently

And a Greystones tweet up group

https://twitter.com/GreystonesOpen

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Foodie

Hey, I'm going to be new to greystones area, myself and boyfriend are 28 and 29 so are all in for meeting new people in the area. Going to join running I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Nopeare

Doubt its much help to yourself foodie or teaks but if your boyfriend/husband are interested in playing astro turf football on a Thursday night you can send me a pm when you move and if its still going they're welcome to try it. There is usually 10 of us from mid 20's to mid 30's that (attempt to) play if they fancy coming along, its nothing serious a few lads play with local teams and then there are a few of us that can't kick snow off a rope so its just a bit of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

teaks wrote: »
    My wife and I are planning to move to Greystones from the USA for work. We are both 30, do not have any children, and will probably live in the Charlesland area.

How easy will it be for us "blow ins" to meet new friends in Greystones? Are there many people in our stage of life living in Charlesland/Greystones or is it mostly families with children? Are there many other expats living there?

We are both active and my wife is planning to join yoga/Pilates classes. I would begin work right away and my wife would seek work in the insurance industry shortly after we arrive.

Appreciate your insight!

I think you will find it no problem meeting people in Charlesland. We are a friendly bunch.
    Even a few Americans around.
    Nice bookclub in Mrs Robinsons Pub, if you want information pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

teaks wrote: »

Appreciate your insight!

The Charlesland Grove AGM is on 8th Oct in Puróga creche, why not come along to that. Good way to meet folks/get involved in local issues.

The Charlesland Grove AGM is on 8th Oct in Puróga creche, why not come along to that. Good way to meet folks/get involved in local issues.
    Probably not the best place to meet people IMO, usually a lot of Angry Heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

There's a decent swingers scene. Surely a great way to meet people. They're always looking for new couples. (Or so I'm told)

FirstIn wrote: »
    There's a decent swingers scene. Surely a great way to meet people. They're always looking for new couples. (Or so I'm told)
    This post explains your name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Probably not the best place to meet people IMO, usually a lot of Angry Heads!
    - always good to get a heads up of the local busybodies, psychos & smattering of normal people though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

- always good to get a heads up of the local busybodies, psychos & smattering of normal people though :)

You only need to look at the boards threads for that ;)

Advertisement