Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affect of magnet on loose phone battery (or other suggestions)?

Options
  • 13-09-2013 1:51am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

EDIT: I've edited and unedited but I'm back to editing! At 2am the difference between Affect and Effect can get blurry and confusing and I now realise (I think) that I used the wrong word in my title. Silly me and my apologies! If I have indeed used the right word, then I now look like even more of a fool so please ignore this! I think that I'm right this time though!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but here goes anyway!

I recently started carrying a spare phone battery for my Samsung Galaxy S3 in my purse along with a magnetic name badge and other crap. I put the (fully charged) battery in my phone today and it was straight down to 57%.

I have two possible ideas for the cause but I'm not sure if either make sense. 
    1. The battery just naturally reduced with time spent in my purse unused; or
    2. The magnet from the name badge affected the battery. 

Would anyone have any suggestions or did I just get a dodgy battery? If it is 2, have I screwed up the battery for good?

(I apologise for the scattered and badly written post. My head doesn't seem to be working at full blast at the moment!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

EDIT: I've edited and unedited but I'm back to editing! At 2am the difference between Affect and Effect can get blurry and confusing and I now realise (I think) that I used the wrong word in my title. Silly me and my apologies! If I have indeed used the right word, then I now look like even more of a fool so please ignore this! I think that I'm right this time though!

I recently started carrying a spare phone battery for my Samsung Galaxy S3 in my purse along with a magnetic name badge and other crap. I put the (fully charged) battery in my phone today and it was straight down to 57%.

1. The battery just naturally reduced with time spent in my purse unused; or

Would anyone have any suggestions or did I just get a dodgy battery? If it is 2, have I screwed up the battery for good?

(I apologise for the scattered and badly written post. My head doesn't seem to be working at full blast at the moment!)

if you bought the battery 2nd hand then it could be the cause. Battery's will lose capacity over time from draining/recharging

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

neilmulvey wrote: »
    if you bought the battery 2nd hand then it could be the cause. Battery's will lose capacity over time from draining/recharging

Nope, bought the battery new. As far as I know anyway, it certainly appeared that way. It has only been charged once or twice at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

1. The battery just naturally reduced with time spent in my purse unused; or

If the battery contacts are exposed then there is the possibility of discharge caused by other metal items crossing the contact points - of course if it's protected thats not the problem!

Cell phones use Lithium Ion batteries which have a typical self (auto) discharge of around 5% - 10% per month but no more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

If it's self discharging as you say then it could be down to faulty internal capacitors - however this is unlikely in a genuine Samsung replacement battery, but could be an issue for an OEM battery.

Magnetic fields have no proven effect on Lithium Ion batteries.

I'd get a refund/replacement if possible from the supplier

Hope this helps a little!

Advertisement