Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs

Options
  • 13-09-2013 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

What the heck is going on. Looking for temp work in Brisbane.

Finding it next to impossible after a few weeks. Met lots of recruitment companies etc but there appears to be no jobs.
    Or very few at least. I have a degree, plenty of experience etc. Applying to everything on Seek.

Anyone know if Sydney or Melbourne markets would be better? My experience is in super/insurance.

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Being on a WHV may be a hinderance. (I'm presuming you are as you seem to be flexible about moving city)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

What are you wearing to these interviews? Wear a full dark suit/which top (if you are a female). Full suit if you are a male.

Do you have anything that is potentially off-putting? Nose rings, loopy earrings, basically anything that would make you look like a scrote?

What questions are you asking them? You basically need to tell them that you are willing to do anything and everything to get working. You know that you need to get local experience so if they give you the opportunity you won't let them down.

It's all about likeability. Don't go in there expecting anything just try and be friendly and outgoing because you will be representing them if they put you into a temp job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Diddler82 wrote: »
    What are you wearing to these interviews? Wear a full dark suit/which top (if you are a female). Full suit if you are a male.

Do you have anything that is potentially off-putting? Nose rings, loopy earrings, basically anything that would make you look like a scrote?

What questions are you asking them? You basically need to tell them that you are willing to do anything and everything to get working. You know that you need to get local experience so if they give you the opportunity you won't let them down.

It's all about likeability. Don't go in there expecting anything just try and be friendly and outgoing because you will be representing them if they put you into a temp job.

I get exactly what you mean. but ive asked for feedback in them all. Nothing bad. They all said I come across well. good experience etc. I had a job here for 3 months previously in insurance so I have experience in brisbane.

Ive told them all that im willing to do any work they deem me suitable for. Ive followed up with them asking if I could amend my resume or if that's needed. they all assure me its all great as is.

Just have to keep trying I suppose. Jobs just seem to be scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

LaHaine wrote: »
    I get exactly what you mean. but ive asked for feedback in them all. Nothing bad. They all said I come across well. good experience etc. I had a job here for 3 months previously in insurance so I have experience in brisbane.

Ive told them all that im willing to do any work they deem me suitable for. Ive followed up with them asking if I could amend my resume or if that's needed. they all assure me its all great as is.

Just have to keep trying I suppose. Jobs just seem to be scarce.

Are these employers asking you what expected pay you are looking for?

as per the other thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057037272 it could be that other candidates are prepared to work for less.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Are these employers asking you what expected pay you are looking for?

as per the other thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057037272 it could be that other candidates are prepared to work for less.

Again im aware of the market so ive been giving modest pay expectations and let them know id definitely consider less.

• Advertisement

Again im aware of the market so ive been giving modest pay expectations and let them know id definitely consider less.

still no work. going to have to move. Anyone any advice in the choice between Sydney ir melbourne?

Looking for jobs in insurance, super or any admin temping.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I work in Super/Investments in Melbourne. Took me a while to get work on the WHV as the industry is going through a lot of change. Seems to be a bit better now post-election but temp work is still hard to find.

I'd recommend getting on to Randstad, Michael Page, Chandler Macleod and Robert Walters. I found them to be good and they have links with the biggest companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

still no work. going to have to move. Anyone any advice in the choice between Sydney ir melbourne?

Looking for jobs in insurance, super or any admin temping.

Have you considered working in hospitality? I've been told that there's no good local employees in hospality in Melbourne and employers just want to hire backpackers. That's what I been told!!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

I was talking to my recruitment agent the other day. I've been in my job about 2 and a half years now and have a fairly good standing with the agency.

I contacted the agent to try track down a job for a friend of mine who was just arrived on a WHV and looking for some work. The agent is English and, like me, arrived on a WHV before moving onto another visa. Anyway, he was saying the financial market in Melbourne at the moment is a terrible place for WHV holders. Companies just do not want them(generalizing a bit but that was his perception)

He told me, since January, his company in Melbourne have managed to place 2 WHV's in contract roles.

One thing I would say though is have a look at Northern Trust. Jobs there pop up the whole time and they are more than willing to hire the Irish. They are recruiting like crazy at home and like the idea of hiring people here, who when they go home would be willing to stay with the compnay

No good news so. I'm thinking of doing a one day barista courde with a view to getting a job in a coffee shop. Worth a try?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

No good news so. I'm thinking of doing a one day barista courde with a view to getting a job in a coffee shop. Worth a try?

Why not , it's a good skill

Advertisement