Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

If Rory doesn't have the length on the wedding night I hope the doesn't hold up his equipment and glare at poor JP.

Jesus it's the same routine every time he his a bad shot. Stare at club. Then stare at JP as if to say "Why did you let me near this club". Own the bad shot bitch. Sick of it at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Wombatman wrote: »
    If Rory doesn't have the length on the wedding night I hope the doesn't hold up his equipment and glare at poor JP.

Jesus it's the same routine every time he his a bad shot. Stare at club. Then stare at JP as if to say "Why did you let me near this club". Own the bad shot bitch. Sick of it at this stage.
    Easy there. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

To be fair, I think a lot of those stares are more kinda of "be da f**k, did you see what the wind did to that!"

HighLine wrote: »
    To be fair, I think a lot of those stares are more kinda of "be da f**k, did you see what the wind did to that!"

Allow for the wind then. Just more transference of blame. To be fair I see him doing it every week he overshoots or mis-hits, wind or no wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Allow for the wind then. Just more transference of blame. To be fair I see him doing it every week he overshoots or mis-hits, wind or no wind.

He's not transferring blame to anyone or anything, it's in your head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm sure if he was "transferring blame" every week, or if he felt the caddy was responsible even every odd week for giving him the wrong advice/club, then said caddy would have had his P45 handed to him long ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Out of the 93 players Rory finished 93rd in driving accuracy. Who or what can he blame for that?

Out of the 93 players Rory finished 93rd in driving accuracy. Who or what can he blame for that?

titleist ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Don't we all do that when we hit a bad shot? Certainly it isn't restricted to Rory. Were you not watching the Masters on Sunday evening? Isn't it just a human thing to do. I certainly do. I'm always giving out to myself, about myself, the ground, the club, the ball, the fact that its too bright/dark/sunny/cold, and of course the fact that I'm still crap at the game....

Rory's just.....sharing...

I think you need to reassess your assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I don't think all this tweaking with equipment is doing him any favours either. To be changing fairway woods the week of a major is ridiculous.
    Sign a contract and get on with it Rors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

Just more transference of blame.

Isn't that what every top player tries to do, and what all the mind gurus try to get their clients to do ? Its all about "you" (the player) not hitting a bad shot, you can get a bad bounce, an unlucky break, the wind, the rain, but you don't ever say that you hit a bad shot. Harrington (and many others) is doing it for years. They don't want their sub-conscious to think they made a mistake.

Like Nicklaus is famous for saying he never 3 putted the 18th on the final day of a tournament, despite their being many videos of him doing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

Sign a contract and get on with it Rors.

I think he's right to try various set-ups while he has the freedom to do it IMO. I think most of the top guys are good enough that once fitted correctly (which you'd have to assume they would be), it doesn't matter a whole lot. I know he struggled with the Nike stuff at first, but that was really a slightly different issue and also he "had" to use their gear. If he didn't like the TM stuff he wouldn't have used it.

Russman wrote: »
    Isn't that what every top player tries to do, and what all the mind gurus try to get their clients to do ? Its all about "you" (the player) not hitting a bad shot, you can get a bad bounce, an unlucky break, the wind, the rain, but you don't ever say that you hit a bad shot. Harrington (and many others) is doing it for years. They don't want their sub-conscious to think they made a mistake.

Like Nicklaus is famous for saying he never 3 putted the 18th on the final day of a tournament, despite their being many videos of him doing just that.

It's the other way around actually. If you take ownership of a mistake or weakness you can fix it.

Blame yourself, you are in control and can adjust bad behavior. Blame external factors, you lose control\influence over problem.

Kinda like Dunning–Kruger effect where those who are hard on themselves are more likely to become experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

For some reason he seems to be fading the ball now off the tee. Not always massively, but certainly noticeable. You can make that work for you at Augusta, but it's more difficult. The other issue he has at Augusta is that the fairways narrow down quite significantly at his driving distance. If he's not pinpoint accurate on certain holes, he's off the fairway. The stats don't say how far off he is, but from what I saw, he often still had a clear shot at the green. Hit the first cut and your stats say you missed the fairway.

Russman wrote: »

It's a sports psychology 'trick' (and Harrington, Palmer and Player among others were famous for it) - some people need something to 'kick' against - they need to think the world is against them and they have to 'fight' for every scrap of luck and every break. When they switch into competitive mode, they persuade themselves that they don't get the breaks they deserve and that others are getting more than their fair share of luck!!

Not sure if this is the case with Rory or if his sports psychologist has him engaging with a different set of triggers.

Just as an aside, just as Nicklaus never 3-putted, Lombardi was famous for saying he never lost a football (American) game - but his teams did occasionally run out of time :D

It's the other way around actually. If you take ownership of a mistake or weakness you can fix it.

Blame yourself, you are in control and can adjust bad behavior. Blame external factors, you lose control\influence over problem.
    You're making an assumption that because he looks at the club and his caddy, he's not taking the blame for a bad shot and then carrying it through to a conclusion that could be a hundred miles from the truth.

In any post-match interviews I've ever heard him give, he always admits to a bad shot, miscalculation, misjudgement or a weakness that he needs to work on. I've never heard him complain about his equipment. In fact he's notable for constantly defending the Nike gear when people asked him about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

Where did u get that stat?I have him around 50th just behind Spieth. From masters website.

It does have him last on day 1 and day 2 alright. I wonder is there a spin issue with that new driver in the wind. Were most of his bad misses right??

luvthegame wrote: »
    Were most of his bad misses right??

Tracking info still available on their website. More of his bad misses were to the right in the first two rounds. Especially on 5/7/8/13/15

Not saying its because of the callaway driver but I have heard its easier to cut than draw (at least from what crossfield has said and one buddy who has one) Yes I know thats hardly scientific but I know some people here like to jump all over everything thats said so there u go.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

luvthegame wrote: »
    Where did u get that stat?I have him around 50th just behind Spieth. From masters website.

It does have him last on day 1 and day 2 alright. I wonder is there a spin issue with that new driver in the wind. Were most of his bad misses right??
    RTE radio this morning on the Sports slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Thats some pretty lazy journalism even by RTE's standards, 93 players didnt make the cut.

They have simply taken his driving accuracy percentage and compared it to everybody while ignoring that a load of players played 2 rounds less.

all the info is freely available but sure when people repeat whatever nonsense they hear why bother to be accurate.

• Advertisement

Oh okay looking at it again he was last day 1, 2nd last day 2, 8th day 3, and middle of the pack day 4. He was almost last overall over 4 rounds. 50th wasn't factoring in the cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Driving accuracy is important but not the be all and end all. I know I'd rather be 50 yards further up the hole in the rough than back playing it safe with a soft drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I think the shot shape thing about Augusta is overplayed. We've seen various faders and drawers do well there. There are only 2 obvious holes where you need to draw the ball, 13 and 10.

Garcia was in great positions with that drill fade last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

ligerdub wrote: »
    I think the shot shape thing about Augusta is overplayed. We've seen various faders and drawers do well there. There are only 2 obvious holes where you need to draw the ball, 13 and 10.

Garcia was in great positions with that drill fade last week.

Nicklaus played a fade

Just looking at his tracking for day one:

1st: 320 - Fairway bunker (bogey)
    2nd: 347 - Fairway (GIR)
    3rd: 271 - Left bunker (GIR bogey)
    5th: 295 - Right fairway (GIR)
    7th: 352 - Trees left
    8th : 296 - Fairway bunker (bogey)
    9th: 346 - Trees right (GIR)
    10th: 304 - Right fairway
    11th: 300 - Fairway (GIR)
    13th: 305 - Trees right (GIR birdie)
    14th: 303 - Fairway (GIR)
    15th: 238 - Trees left (GIR birdie)
    17th: 322 - First cut right (GIR)
    18th: 267 - Trees left

Very much a mixed bag. Being out of position from the tee, didn't necessarily mean a dropped shot, in fact he got two birdies from out of position drives. Being in a bunker seemed to be automatic bogey as I suspect it was for most players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Kinda like Dunning–Kruger effect where those who are hard on themselves are more likely to become experts.

The locus of control it's called.

Like doing a Maths exam and you get an F.
    Internal locus person would say I didn't study enough and I failed, fail to prepare, I am not very good at maths.
    External locus person says my teacher was useless, the wrong questions came up.

Get an A then it becomes;
    Internal locus person would say I studied well and being daycent at Maths I got my A.
    External locus person says my teacher was excellent, the right questions came up for me on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

ForeRight wrote: »
    Nicklaus played a fade

He could hit a draw when required though :D
    Mickelson has played the US Open 27 times. He's 2/T2nd six times.
    Now 46, he will likely never win it, and if he does it will be one of Sports great stories. He has had his chances no doubt.
    The USGA with an almost religious zeal place a premium on accuracy with the driver.
    Mickelson, while he can get away with wayward driving at Augusta, is a victim of that zeal.
    There is no second cut at the US Open. There is rough. Miss the fairway and you can forget about par or even a bogey. Consistently accurate driving has always been the achilles heel of Mickelson.
    While he has come incredibly close to winning it, it is always things like an errant drive on Thursday which resulted in a double instead of a bogey for example. Small details you forget about on the back 9 on the Sunday. They all count the same.

Now with McIlroy he has the benefit of time. He's 27. He's already 75% there in terms of the career slam.
    Mickelson was 33 before he even won his first Major. The worst thing he can do is be negative about it.
    He knows himself that his game is ideally matched to Augusta. He's had it there for the taking in 2011.
    But as with Mickelson at the Open, it is the missed tiddler on the Thursday, the poor chip that resulted in two putts on the Saturday that accrue the damage in the scheme of things. Mistakes happen obviously, but the difference between having 5 3-putts all week and 8 3-putts will prove the difference between a career slam and an annual torment. When it comes to Augusta it will always be putting, putting, putting.

He's been top 10 the last 4 Masters. As he said himself, not good enough. But like Garcia,the wait for that win can make it all the sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Best of luck today Rory .

A bit of advice . Monday morning out for a game . Set the tone early days.

Sounds legend . Ed Sheerin and Stevie Wonder .

Clearly free booze.

I'd love to gate crash that one .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

I wonder will there be someone who would have blagged there way in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

benny79 wrote: »
    I wonder will there be someone who would have blagged there way in :D

I don't even think the new 007 would make it in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement