Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    As a comparison the likes of lowry, Harrington etc, etc what sort of deals would they be on?

According to Forbes, Rory gets about $32m per year in sponsorship (not including the Taylormade deal, but likely including the Nike one).

The only data they have on sponsorship for Harrington dates to 2011 when he earned about $5m.

The interesting point seems to be that the Yanks love Rory! And that makes him more marketable.

Not sure about Lowry and from what I've read McDowell does alright and seems to be a savvy enough investor, and in 2011 he reportedly earned $3.5m in sponsorship.

EDIT: Rory is identified as being top of the heap in 2017 - ahead of Arnie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

The M2 is €389 compared to the Callaway Epic's €549 :eek: That's some difference. Surely Rory committing to TM is a big lose to Callaway and there sales dropping + Titleist, considering Weemac talked about it saying it just wasn't good enough in the wind he was referring to 8i callaway irons, Epic & pro v balls. He wasn't slating Callaway or Titleist by the way just saying he wasn't getting the numbers and not the flight he wanted etc.. but this will still be seen as a negative for these companies and surely will have a knock on effect in sales for the masses..

I personally have TM clubs and a fan of TM.. How do Callaway justify the €549 for the Epic now?? compared to the TM M2's €389 since most the top tour players are using TM..They are blowing the competition out of the water...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jawgap wrote: »
    I wonder if he just gets it added to his BRS account :D

forgive my ignorance but what is a BRS account?

Obviously I know it's a booking system, but account?????

Seve OB wrote: »
    forgive my ignorance but what is a BRS account?

Obviously I know it's a booking system, but account?????

The Competition Purse module - allows comp fees to be handled electronically.

I know in our place we can hand in cash to get our BRS Competition Purse credited, or you can just do it by credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

benny79 wrote: »
    The M2 is €389 compared to the Callaway Epic's €549 :eek: That's some difference. Surely Rory committing to TM is a big lose to Callaway and there sales dropping + Titleist, considering Weemac talked about it saying it just wasn't good enough in the wind he was referring to 8i callaway irons, Epic & pro v balls. He wasn't slating Callaway or Titleist by the way just saying he wasn't getting the numbers and not the flight he wanted etc.. but this will still be seen as a negative for these companies and surely will have a knock on effect in sales for the masses..

I personally have TM clubs and a fan of TM.. How do Callaway justify the €549 for the Epic now?? compared to the TM M2's €389 since most the top tour players are using TM..They are blowing the competition out of the water...

Wasn't last yrs M1 €550? How much was this yrs version when it came out?
    The M2 is just the cheaper version of their two drivers.

Yeah, just checked the previous M1 was €549 at release too.

I'd say they only dropped the price to €515, as last yr the M2 far out sold the M1.
    Also way more of the taylormade pros were using the M2 over M1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Tilikum wrote: »
    Wasn't last yrs M1 ?550? How much was this yrs version when it came out?
    The M2 is just the cheaper version of their two drivers.

The M1 is €515. Agree on the M2 been the cheaper version or model in the range, but its the most popular and most used by the Tour Pro's and obviously they get them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jawgap wrote: »
    The Competition Purse module - allows comp fees to be handled electronically.

I know in our place we can hand in cash to get our BRS Competition Purse credited, or you can just do it by credit card.

oh right. we just pay cash

• Registered Users Posts: 14,677 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

irishgeo wrote: »
    Why are both addidas and Nike getting out of golf?

Adidas solely using the Taylormade brand for golf now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

saying it just wasn't good enough in the wind he was referring to 8i callaway irons, Epic & pro v balls. He wasn't slating Callaway or Titleist by the way just saying he wasn't getting the numbers and not the flight he wanted etc.. ..

You have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. he raved about the epic/proV combo. Now he admits he effed up before the Masters by not doing enough testing in all conditions. So after his wedding he picks up the TP5 and claims this is the holy grail.

Last year he played the RZN platinum and raved about its performance in the wind. FixedPitched was right. He made too many changes before the Masters without due care.

Don't care what anyone says, if he stuck with the nike gear for the Masters he would have had a better performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

The M1 is €515. Agree on the M2 been the cheaper version or model in the range, but its the most popular and most used by the Tour Pro's and obviously they get them for free.

They get paid to play the drivers. No one pays more than taylormade.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about taylormade drivers in general, you were talking about the M2 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭blue note

My God drivers have gotten expensive. I got 9 irons for less than the cost of one of these drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Taylormade lost the plot a few years ago releasing a new driver every 4 or 5 months
    be interesting to see what happens going forward

Have an m1 myself bought second hand last yr replacing an old TM Burner
    Have to say it's a great club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

The epic is a fine driver too but €549 :eek: i would need counseling to get over forking out that much for a driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

dball wrote: »
    how much was his reported deal with nike - was it 200 mil for 10 years?

I didn't know this figure was disclosed recently after Nike dropping the club manufacturing, my question was related to him signing up with Nike a few years back - what was the reported amount for the clubs and clothes deal? I think it was announced in Dubai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Adidas just sold Taylor to a private equity firm for $425mln.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/05/10/adidas-sells-its-golf-brands-taylormade-adams.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

dball wrote: »
    I didn't know this figure was disclosed recently after Nike dropping the club manufacturing, my question was related to him signing up with Nike a few years back - what was the reported amount for the clubs and clothes deal? I think it was announced in Dubai

If I remember correctly, the original Nike deal was reported to be $250 million over ten years. Basically, the new Nike and TM deals add up to even more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

John Rahm coming to Portstewart. Be great to see him over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Pulls out of the BMW next week. Not good for long term goals this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Playing so little golf is going to be hard for him to get into a rhythm. The injuries are certainly worrying maybe he needs to lighten the workload.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Playing so little golf is going to be hard for him to get into a rhythm. The injuries are certainly worrying maybe he needs to lighten the workload.

Ease up in the gym and play more golf tournaments, once fit again. That is the recipe for golf success not pumping iron and playing once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

red ears wrote: »
    Ease up in the gym and play more golf tournaments, once fit again. That is the recipe for golf success not pumping iron and playing once a month.

With respect this is such a load of BS. The reason for the gym work is to prevent injury and not to look buff in a muscle fit shirt . Mcilroy s swing is built around massive amounts of resistance in his lower body with huge amounts of torque created . This takes a big toll on his back . Much of his gym work is aimed at strengthening his core . He is smart himself , is surrrounded by smart people who I'm sure are benefitting from the best sport science advice that's out there. He doesn't swing the golf club like Fred couples or Phil mivkelson , if he did he might be able to give up the gym , but he would also be sacrificing 30 or 40 yards off the tee

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

red ears wrote: »

The gym is not causing the issue! It's more than likely the thousands on swings he makes a year!

Keano wrote: »
    The gym is not causing the issue! It's more than likely the thousands on swings he makes a year!

Whatever way you want to look at it he has not been playing​ enough competitive golf imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

His career has stuttered around the majors the last few years.

He seems to be running from one injury to the next every few months. Aside from that he's had various issues with his clubs or his putting stroke.

Hopefully once this is behind him he can get a bit of continuity going but this year already seems to be going away from him and he's playing catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There could be a big cut to his sponsorship if he's not able to make competitions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

There could be a big cut to his sponsorship if he's not able to make competitions.

Why would there be?! He's one of the biggest names in sport. Nike extended his contract, he's just signed with Taylormade.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Keano wrote: »
    Why would there be?! He's one of the biggest names in sport. Nike extended his contract, he's just signed with Taylormade.

Most contracts will have performance bonuses, not that Rory would be counting on them for his holiday though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

ligerdub wrote: »
    His career has stuttered around the majors the last few years.

He seems to be running from one injury to the next every few months. Aside from that he's had various issues with his clubs or his putting stroke.

Hopefully once this is behind him he can get a bit of continuity going but this year already seems to be going away from him and he's playing catch up.

I think the venue made his decision to sit out a bit easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

rooney30 wrote: »
    With respect this is such a load of BS. The reason for the gym work is to prevent injury and not to look buff in a muscle fit shirt . Mcilroy s swing is built around massive amounts of resistance in his lower body with huge amounts of torque created . This takes a big toll on his back . Much of his gym work is aimed at strengthening his core . He is smart himself , is surrrounded by smart people who I'm sure are benefitting from the best sport science advice that's out there. He doesn't swing the golf club like Fred couples or Phil mivkelson , if he did he might be able to give up the gym , but he would also be sacrificing 30 or 40 yards off the tee

Sorry there is a lot of speculation in that - ok it is a golf forum so it is a speculation game. None of us know.

Phil Mickelson has a very high swing speed and when a little younger actually faster than Rory at times.

Fred Couples has had savage injury issues.

Yes has to be expected that the wear and tear on the modern pro is unreal.

No matter how you shine it up, protein drink it up or personal trainer it - much gym work is additional wear and tear.

But - I wouldn't accept that going to the gym is the route to swing speed.

I think people go a bit crazy when the idea of gym is questioned. We have seen Rory do some very heavy gym work. It is new - and I'd be a little weary of any certainties about it by anyone.

I'd keep an open mind both ways. Many golfers have swung the club hard and fast for long times without that type of work.

Rory is injured a lot for such a young person.

He won two majors as a chubby little kid. People applying certainty to his golf based on his current lifestyle , don't have the stats or facts to back that up (IMO).

Fair play to Rory - he want more to life than golf. Is the gym work about his golf at all - or something else. We don't know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement