Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

He should ' pack up and go home' after missing those fairways!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

His mouth is working okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

He should ' pack up and go home' after missing those fairways!
    GS11 wrote: »
    His mouth is working okay.
    To be fair, he'd probably be the first to say that about himself. :)

He may be outspoken, but that's a massive plus imo. Too many sports people are bland and never say anything controversial or eve slightly contentious.

I'd say the same for Kevin Na btw. Nothing wrong with him making a point about the rough. He had one of the best rounds yesterday, so he clearly took Rory's advice. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Even if he played badly his point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I don't really get the big hullabaloo about his comments. He said if you hit it far enough off line to be in the gorse you should pack your bags.

He hit it off line and looks to be packing his backs. What's the big deal?

He didn't play well but who expected him too really? He's always been a player who plays best on the back of a run of golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What he said was dead right . Even if speaking about himself.

As said above he isn't match fit.

I've already said it a good few times - not mad about all his equipment changes.

Like he goes TM putter and mallet because he is TM

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Anyone tried the Spider putter?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think any pro signing any kind of a contract for a putter is mad

it should be the one club they can do what they like with, it is the most important club in the bagand an old one can be miles better than a new one if it feels good to the player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Yeah, wouldn't be the biggest fan, I have always used a half moon shaped mallet. It's unusual looking at the spider, no markings on it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

I use the daddy long legs which is an older fore bear of the current spider. I try to putt in a straight line method (with less arc) and find it more stable than the anser i was using beforehand(but that was 20+ yrs old).

I like the heavy weight of it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

Yes, tried a tour Red version on the putting green. I had a previous version (the Ghost Spider) which was a fine putter.

I think the big improvements visually and feel with the new one is the neck and how it looks as it joins the head and how snug it seems to sit on the ground. It feels like it hugs the ground and is more low profile than the originals. I liked the insert also.

If you are already a good putter i could definately see it helping you from a feel and look perspective. If you are like me and a poor putter then I doubt the cost is justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

What he said was dead right . Even if speaking about himself.

As said above he isn't match fit.

I've already said it a good few times - not mad about all his equipment changes.

Like he goes TM putter and mallet because he is TM

Agree, agree, agree except since the Masters I think he has made the right decisions with his woods.

Disagree! I like seeing him try a mallet putter, especially after seeing all the major wins with it. I have tried it and there is a wonderful look and feel to it. As I said I didnt see the back nine but I saw every shot of his front and he putted lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

ForeRight wrote: »
    I don't really get the big hullabaloo about his comments. He said if you hit it far enough off line to be in the gorse you should pack your bags.

He hit it off line and looks to be packing his backs. What's the big deal?

He didn't play well but who expected him too really? He's always been a player who plays best on the back of a run of golf.

It wasn't the comments themselves but the way he said them. Basically if u aren't able to get it on these fairways, you shouldn't be there in the 1st place.

All he has done is put a load of extra pressure on himself and probably pissed off a lot of his fellow pros who I am sure are having a good snigger.

Just play golf and win.

GS11 wrote:
    All he has done is put a load of extra pressure on himself and probably pissed off a lot of his fellow pros who I am sure are having a good snigger.

I think he was having a pop at the organisers as well as the players going out with a negative mindset.

GS11 wrote: »
    It wasn't the comments themselves but the way he said them. Basically if u aren't able to get it on these fairways, you shouldn't be there in the 1st place.

Just play golf and win.

But he is right. In terms of you shouldn't be there if not hitting the fairways it looks like he won't be there. No big deal with his comments at all.

I don't think he has any added pressure to any other major outside the masters. They are just other majors to him at this stage unlike the masters which is becomming a big drama now every run up which is adding huge pressure for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rory not at the races again.
    Career on a downward spiral.

He's #2 in the world and just back from injury. He was in great touch before the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rory sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

He's level par through 7 today, big improvement needed to make the cut though.

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Shane not having a good run today gone now to +2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

8 over now. Putting again has been shockingly bad. The Spider has to go into retirement after today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Does he really care anymore, I'm not sure, since he signed the huge Nike deal he's not been the same player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Does he really care anymore, I'm not sure, since he signed the huge Nike deal he's not been the same player

I'm sure he does he's just not as good as he's made out to be. He was dubbed the next Tiger for so long people expect him to challenge at every major but the reality is he's not good enough; still one of the best players on the tour but on a tour where there's been no standout players for more than a few months at a time over the last while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

That lad is gonna win more Majors no doubt of it. As sure as Tiger is popping a panadol right now Rory is hurting. He's no Mark Bosnich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Some of the rubbish posted in here is hard to believe

Some people getting very carried away in here

It's actually quite cringeworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Podge_H

IMO he's not done by any means, but what gets me about this week is why the hell did he put a new putter in the bag? The week of the US Open?!?! WTF was he thinking? Really bad preparation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

jive wrote: »
    I'm sure he does he's just not as good as he's made out to be. He was dubbed the next Tiger for so long people expect him to challenge at every major but the reality is he's not good enough; still one of the best players on the tour but on a tour where there's been no standout players for more than a few months at a time over the last while.

Yes. That's another missed cut. Second year in a row. He seems to be seriously lacking confidence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement