Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

AGC wrote: »
    Some of the rubbish posted in here is hard to believe

Like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Questioning whether he cares anymore is right up there for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Like?

Read your last post AnneFrank

I think it's a valid question when you look at his decisions, tournament schedules before majors over the last few years, club changes, lack of practice, then listening to him and reading his ever changing opinions, his playing style,regularly giving up if he isn't ripping it up, it's a fair question, his talent is not been questioned, just mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think it's a valid question when you look at his decisions, tournament schedules before majors over the last few years, club changes, lack of practice, then listening to him and reading his ever changing opinions, his playing style,regularly giving up if he isn't ripping it up, it's a fair question, his talent is not been questioned, just mentality

A lot of that sounds like someone who lacks confidence and is chopping and changing and hoping he strikes on the right formula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

We just have to accept it, when he's on he's unbeatably. When he's off he's off. The joys of Watching Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Does he really care anymore, I'm not sure, since he signed the huge Nike deal he's not been the same player

He signed that deal in 2013. Would you like to hear an interesting fact?

Since Rory signed that deal with Nike that made him not care about golf anymore no one has won more majors than him.

Not bad for a guy that doesn't care.

He's also won the Fed Ex Cup and various other events on both tours in that time.

He signed that deal in 2013. Would you like to hear an interesting fact?

Since Rory signed that deal with Nike that made him not care about golf anymore no one has won more majors than him.

Not bad for a guy that doesn't care.

He's also won the Fed Ex Cup and various other events on both tours in that time.
    2 majors in 4 years, and both in 2014 for a guy who's in his prime, and has more talent than anyone on tour by a long way is a poor return. Your not getting the point i' m making, I'm not trolling, just saying in my opinion, he is underachieving and is not helping himself, I just don't think he has the hunger that he used to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Pride goes before a fall. Disgustingly condescending remarks coming home to roost. He needs to control his big mouth and just play golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

2 majors in 4 years, and both in 2014 for a guy who's in his prime, and has more talent than anyone on tour by a long way is a poor return. Your not getting the point i' m making, I'm not trolling, just saying in my opinion, he is underachieving and is not helping himself, I just don't think he has the hunger that he used to

What's the prime age for golf? He probably has another 10yrs in terms of being a physical specimen but, that's not the be all for golf. Easily another 15/20yrs, if he wants, in terms of psyche & maturity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

He still has two more chances to make it 3 (or 4) in 4 years.

No you're way off the mark here, you told me he didn't have the hunger since signing his big money deal despite the fact he has won more majors in the intervening period than any other other player bar Spieth who he's level with.

I would agree he is the most talented but by a long way? I'm not sure you can say that. Is he way more talented than Sergio? Phil Mickelson? Dustin Johnson? Stenson?

Maybe a little bit but not by enough than he should be guaranteed to win 2 more majors a year or anything. Look at the major winners over the last couple of years, unbelievable golfers and most of them only have one major in their career. These things are hard won.

He had a bad week this week but he wasn't a million miles away at Augusta and he's had a fairly chaotic year between getting married and being injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Steve Elkington made a comment on Twitter to McElroy about him being bored with golf and only interested in money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

red ears wrote: »
    Steve Elkington made a comment on Twitter to McElroy about him being bored with golf and only interested in money.

He earns big but has also made the strategic decision to only have a handful of major sponsors so as not to be pulled all over the place. He also tailors his season to play as few tournaments as possible, in pursuit of the big ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

ixus wrote: »
    He earns big but has also made the strategic decision to only have a handful of major sponsors so as not to be pulled all over the place. He also tailors his season to play as few tournaments as possible, in pursuit of the big ones.

And it's not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

red ears wrote:

Steve Elkington is a tool and an idiot though.

Maybe a little bit but not by enough than he should be guaranteed to win 2 more majors a year or anything. Look at the major winners over the last couple of years, unbelievable golfers and most of them only have one major in their career. These things are hard won.

Exactly right. Very good point.

McIlroy is only a couple short ofvthe career major haul of Phil Mickelson, onr of the best players of all time.

He already has two more than Greg Norman......Greg Norman.

He's had a remarkable career already. Dustin Johnson has missed two cuts in a row and has only ever won one major and he's older than Rory. Is he finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ligerdub wrote: »
    Exactly right. Very good point.

McIlroy is only a couple short ofvthe career major haul of Phil Mickelson, onr of the best players of all time.

He already has two more than Greg Norman......Greg Norman.

He's had a remarkable career already. Dustin Johnson has missed two cuts in a row and has only ever won one major and he's older than Rory. Is he finished?
    Rory also reminds me of Harrington. He won 2 majors and never looked like winning another because of his tinkering imo. It could go either way for Rory and it's easier to lose than win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

He's barely played this year so his lack of sharpness is to be expected.

Saying things like he's finished, bored, lacking desire etc. is very harsh.

He did win the FedEx last year too remember.

Rory also reminds me of Harrington. He won 2 majors and never looked like winning another because of his tinkering imo. It could go either way for Rory and it's easier to lose than win.

3 actually :-)

Not true. He has had several decent swipes at major wins going into the final day since 2009.

I think the tinkering thing is overplayed. I doubt there's a player in the world, in the last 40 years at least that wasn't look to change something about their game. There is almost always something to improve on and even Tiger went through some serious changes.

Rory has focused primarily on the short game, his tee to green being much the same for years. It is his weak area and it's not easy to fix or stay on top of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

3 actually :-)

Not true. He has had several decent swipes at major wins going into the final day since 2009.

2012 US Open...any others? 2010 PGA at a stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

On Sky they're on about his back-tweet now and its not a great one. He's not one bit smart about when to brush a thing off and keep schtumm. Why would he even care what some guy tweets.

He still has two more chances to make it 3 (or 4) in 4 years.

No you're way off the mark here, you told me he didn't have the hunger since signing his big money deal despite the fact he has won more majors in the intervening period than any other other player bar Spieth who he's level with.

I would agree he is the most talented but by a long way? I'm not sure you can say that. Is he way more talented than Sergio? Phil Mickelson? Dustin Johnson? Stenson?

He had a bad week this week but he wasn't a million miles away at Augusta and he's had a fairly chaotic year between getting married and being injured.
    I just asked a question about his mentality, that I think is valid, I'd agree with Elkington, tool or not. But look its opinions that's all, we all have one, I think he's like osullivan in snooker in his pomp, either majestic or very poor and unfocused, still a great player and a multiple winner, but underachieving for his talent imo

Except Harrington is a gent and has respect for others!!

That "I've made loads of money, so I'm great" stuff is childish and ugly, he should leave that nonsense to the likes of Conor McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Your man is a tool. But Rory shouldn't engage a spanner.

fullstop wrote:
    2012 US Open...any others? 2010 PGA at a stretch.

He was going great guns the year Yang won until he blew up at a par 3 on the front 9.

He was only a shot back going into the last day of the Open last year.

He also had a good pop at the Masters about 5 years ago but couldn't buy a putt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Except Harringtons is a gent and has respect for others!!

Ah so you just don't like him.

I hate Luis Suarez but acknowledge he's a class footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He was going great guns the year Yang won until he blew up at a par 3 on the front 9.

He was only a shot back going into the last day of the Open last year.

He also had a good pop at the Masters about 5 years ago but couldn't buy a putt.

2009 PGA yeah, that was the one I meant. Took a triple on the front 9. Missed the cut in 2010. Had a decent masters in 2012 as well but apart from that years US Open hasn't threatened since 09.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Elkington got exactly what he wanted, publicity for his cheap shot, McIllroy just fed the troll by answering him. But using 200 million as proof of success unfortunately validated Elkingtons opinion, that money in the bank means more than titles won. Mcillroy should just have responded that he was not tournament ready and hopefully he will win a lot more, by bragging about the money he has earned, he has now entered the realms of spoilt footballers who think they have "made it" just because they sign a big money contract.

No one talks about how much Nicklaus earned, they talk about the majors won.

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    Elkington got exactly what he wanted, publicity for his cheap shot, McIllroy just fed the troll by answering him. But using 200 million as proof of success unfortunately validated Elkingtons opinion, that money in the bank means more than titles won. Mcillroy should just have responded that he was not tournament ready and hopefully he will win a lot more, by bragging about the money he has earned, he has now entered the realms of spoilt footballers who think they have "made it" just because they sign a big money contract.

No one talks about how much Nicklaus earned, they talk about the majors won.

Agree with every word. The point posed was that McIlroy was miles off Norman in terms of golf. His answer suggested he's miles off Norman in terms of both golf and class. He'd have been far far better off with a mild "I disagree" response.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement