Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

fullstop wrote:
    2009 PGA yeah, that was the one I meant. Took a triple on the front 9. Missed the cut in 2010. Had a decent masters in 2012 as well but apart from that years US Open hasn't threatened since 09.

And the 2016 Open.

He was a good swing on the last from putting up a probable winning score for the 2012 US open. That's 4 decent shouts, which isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

davo10 wrote: »
    Elkington got exactly what he wanted, publicity for his cheap shot, McIllroy just fed the troll by answering him. But using 200 million as proof of success unfortunately validated Elkingtons opinion, that money in the bank means more than titles won. Mcillroy should just have responded that he was not tournament ready and hopefully he will win a lot more, by bragging about the money he has earned, he has now entered the realms of spoilt footballers who think they have "made it" just because they sign a big money contract.

No one talks about how much Nicklaus earned, they talk about the majors won.

100%. Rory looks an absolute tool responding like this. And it does actually make me think that, maybe only for now, that he gets enough satisfaction from the commercial success that he's not hungry enough to ensure that his talent achieves on the course.

100%. Rory looks an absolute tool responding like this. And it does actually make me think that, maybe only for now, that he gets enough satisfaction from the commercial success that he's not hungry enough to ensure that his talent achieves on the course.

I disagree. He did the equivalent of GMacs "Elk, get a life" when Elkington took the piss out of McDowell. Elkington deserves it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

ligerdub wrote: »
    I disagree. He did the equivalent of GMacs "Elk, get a life" when Elkington took the piss out of McDowell. Elkington deserves it.
    Seems like you're ignoring whether the comment is true or not based on who made the comment. That's a bit sad.

Seems like you're ignoring whether the comment is true or not based on who made the comment. That's a bit sad.

Not really. Elkington has absolutely no idea if it's true, it's almost certainly not true. Evidence of this is the fact that one of the main reasons he was out of action is that he was overexerting himself in finding out the best clubs for him to use. Hardly the actions of a man bored with golf.

Elkington should learn to stop talking ****e and keep his mouth shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ligerdub wrote: »
    Not really. Elkington has absolutely no idea if it's true, it's almost certainly not true. Evidence of this is the fact that one of the main reasons he was out of action is that he was overexerting himself in finding out the best clubs for him to use. Hardly the actions of a man bored with golf.

Elkington should learn to stop talking ****e and keep his mouth shut.

I Know Elkington is a tool - but does anyone believe this club thing ? If I was a betting man - (I am) - I'd say Rory got that injury from gym.

I Know Elkington is a tool - but does anyone believe this club thing ? If I was a betting man - (I am) - I'd say Rory got that injury from gym.

:D

Well let's say that's the case, I'd still say that sounds like a man who is very motivated in his profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Is that dead horse not dead yet? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Down to World no.3.
    Temporarily hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Down to World no.3.
    Temporarily hopefully

Well no doubt Rory will treat himself to 3 or 4 weeks off to recover after his 2 days of tournament golf. We will see him back for the open..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

red ears wrote: »
    Well no doubt Rory will treat himself to 3 or 4 weeks off to recover after his 2 days of tournament golf. We will see him back for the open..
    Nope, playing next week in the Travelers

Keano wrote: »
    Nope, playing next week in the Travelers

Has added 2 tournaments to his original schedule and is playing 6 weeks out of 8 (last week included).

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Jan 12 - SA Open (ET)[2nd]
    Jan 19 – Abu Dhabi (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 2 - Dubai Desert (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 23 - Honda Classic (PGA)[Injured]

Mar 2 – WGC Mexico [T7]
    Mar 16 - Arnold Palmer (PGA) [T4]
    Mar 22 – WGC Match Play [T30]
    Apr 6 – Masters [T7]
    May 11 – Players (PGA) [T35]

May 25 – BMW PGA (ET) [Injured]
    June 1 - Memorial (PGA) [Injured]

June 15 – US Open [MC]
    June 22 - Travelers (PGA)
    July 6 – Irish Open (ET)
    July 13 – Scottish Open (ET)
    Jul 20 – Open Championship
    Aug 3 – WGC Bridgestone
    Aug 10 – US PGA
    Aug 24 – Northern Trust (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 1 – Dell Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 14 – BMW Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 21 – Tour Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    OCT 26 - WGC HSBC
    Nov 2 – Turkish Airlines (ET)
    Nov 16 – DP Tour Championship (ET)

Updated schedule. Moves to 3rd in the World Rankings and from 68th to 69th in the FedExCup Standings

Out of 7 events there is 4 top 10s, 2 mid-field finishes and 1 MC

Quintis wrote: »
    Out of 7 events there is 4 top 10s, 2 mid-filed finishes and 1 MC
    Yeah, a lot of hot air being talked about his performances.

In the previous three years from 2014-2016, he's had 11 wins, 9 top threes and a further 21 top tens out of a total of 66 events.

So he's almost two thirds of the time in the top ten and winning one in six. DJ and Day have taken seven and eight years respectively to equal that number of wins. Jordan Spieth has taken five.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Exactly wrote: »
    Has added 2 tournaments to his original schedule and is playing 6 weeks out of 8 (last week included).

I'm glad to hear it. I want to see him compete more and to win more majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Rory is great at backing into a good finish, he will play well on the Saturday or Sunday and shoot low when he's already well out of contention and the pressure is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Don't like that way he handled the new club deals. He should be playing with the clubs that he feels are best for his game not his wallet. He was switching drivers back and fourth to get the best deal. This couldn't be helping his game.

You will be remembered for you wins Rory not you bank balance.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Don't like that way he handled the new club deals. He should be playing with the clubs that he feels are best for his game not his wallet. He was switching drivers back and fourth to get the best deal. This couldn't be helping his game.

You will be remembered for you wins Rory not you bank balance.
    Really?

You know this how?

Really?

You know this how?

Common knowledge he played Callaway and Taylormade off against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

Neither of them would be really associated with making a "bad" driver though, he couldn't really go wrong with either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

"Maximising your brand potential" Another way of saying make me (the agent) a nice commision and the player extra money he doesn't need while not helping his golf game in any way.

I know he has a tight knit group now handling his 'affairs' but once you start looking at it as a business its always going to interfere with the game IMO.

Russman wrote: »
    Neither of them would be really associated with making a "bad" driver though, he couldn't really go wrong with either.

He would have performed better with one over the other. The question of which driver, irons, putter etc to go with should be based on his feel and stats after testing, not which company had the biggest cheque book.

Many players who left Nike recently, Koepka and Ross Fisher for example, are trending again. Why the filp did they stay with Nike if it was holding back their progress? The money and the contract.

Again, where are you getting this from?

Everyone knows he used both manufacturer's clubs at one time or another over the last six months. But where is this common knowledge about his negotiations?
    Many players who left Nike recently, Koepka and Ross Fisher for example, are trending again. Why the filp did they stay with Nike if it was holding back their progress? The money and the contract.
    Koepka signed with Nike last year. Since they pulled out of equipment, he's stayed with their clothing but is also using a mixed bag of other manuufactirer's equipment; none of it Nike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Panrich

Again, where are you getting this from?

Everyone knows he used both manufacturer's clubs at one time or another over the last six months. But where is this common knowledge about his negotiations?

Koepka signed with Nike last year. Since they pulled out of equipment, he's stayed with their clothing but is also using a mixed bag of other manuufactirer's equipment; none of it Nike.

His 3 iron is Nike but that's all.

Panrich wrote: »
    His 3 iron is Nike but that's all.
    A very mixed bag alright.

Titleist Vokey wedges, Mizuno Irons, Nike 3 iron, TaylorMade woods and a Scotty Cameron putter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

He would have performed better with one over the other. The question of which driver, irons, putter etc to go with should be based on his feel and stats after testing, not which company had the biggest cheque book.

And how does anyone know which of Taylormade or Callaway performed better for him in testing ? Maybe Taylormade (hardly a new entrant to the equipment market) performed as well as or better than all the others. Its not like there aren't other any pros using TM gear.

From what I've seen a fair few of the Nike players ended up with TM drivers & woods, Mizuno irons, Vokey wedges and Cameron putters.

Of course players stayed with Nike if they were contracted to them. They'd be sued otherwise. The question of why they signed with Nike in the first place is obviously another matter ! Presumably it was money, but you can hardly blame a player, especially a mid tier one like Fisher, for going for the guaranteed cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

par, par, birdie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rory McIlroy told reporters that he hasn't lifted weights all year--and that he hopes criticism of his gym routine can finally be put to bed.

"Honestly, I haven't lifted a weight all year, and it's tough for me to come out and sort of say I don't. But I literally have -- the most I've lifted in the gym is 15 pounds this year because of my injury," McIlroy said at a press conference ahead of the Travelers Championship. "I'm nowhere near as strong as I used to be. I'm not. But I don't need to be. I feel like physically if I'm stable and I'm strong in the right areas, I'm okay...So at least I can't be criticized for that this year."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

-3 through 14. Only 1 shot behind PH :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement