Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Seve OB wrote: »
    -3 through 14. Only 1 shot behind PH :)

3 putted the 18th (his 9th) from 10 feet though

His biceps got in the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

By my count he's missed 3 putts under 6/7 ft. Off the tee he's making it look like pitch and putt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

luvthegame wrote: »
    By my count he's missed 3 putts under 6/7 ft. Off the tee he's making it look like pitch and putt
    31 putts today and that includes a fair bit of scrambling. He holed a few over ten foot and got some twenty footers close, but he needs to improve on that if he wants to challenge.

Paddy had a good day with a bogey free card though, so there's always hope. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rory having a mare today. Going to struggle to make the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Podge_H

With all the criticism of Rory swapping clubs back and forth the biggest quandary for me is why he put a new putter in the bag the week of the US Open. The only sense I can make is that TM "coerced" him into it. When Nike split the scene the first change he made was a Scotty back in the bag. Its the area of his game he can't take liberties with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He just made birdie and is -1 with a drivable par 4 to come. Projected cut is even

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Almost drove the last green but amazingly from 50 yards cannot hit the green, thankfully he putts it in from off the green.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Has just drove the 15th and long eagle putt but should make birdie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

A lot of positive publicity on his twitter account after last weeks shenanigans.

That slip on 18 is going to cost him to miss the cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Makes the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The weekend will be invaluable to him, needs competitive rounds.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

TM spider putter has been ditched already

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Is he back to the Scotty?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

fullstop wrote: »
    Is he back to the Scotty?

not sure, haven't seen a close up of it yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Not before time... surprised it made an appearance this week after it's debut.

different putter, same result

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭golfer79

He is using a Taylormade TP Mullen putter. There are pics on twitter of him trying out five different putters on the practice green pre round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Clareforliam17

McIlroy striking the ball beautifully today but he is putting with no confidence whatsoever. Playing on the back nine first, he hit the green in one on the par 4 15th, his sixth today. However he 3 putted from around 36 feet. Then at the next hole he missed an 8 and 1/2 footer at the 16th (7th today). In total he has missed 3 putts from within 10 feet, all for birdies, so far in Round 3.

He is seemingly gone to a half mallet style putter by all accounts. Still one under though through 7 and not without a chance if he can find some magic on the dancefloors. 7 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Interesting given how he was raving about it during his interview with sky. He said it tested the best on all the fancy machines he was using to test putters.

It's not the axe Rory, it's the lad that's swinging it.

• Advertisement

Spieth sinks a long par putt, chips in for birdie on next. McIlroy ball strikes the hell outta him and he's 8 back!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Podge_H

luvthegame wrote:
    Spieth sinks a long par putt, chips in for birdie on next. McIlroy ball strikes the hell outta him and he's 8 back!

Thats golf.

Podge_H wrote: »
    Thats golf.

Normally I'd agree but when its consistently so, its a pity.

-1.54 and 83/85 SG putting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Interesting given how he was raving about it during his interview with sky. He said it tested the best on all the fancy machines he was using to test putters.

It's not the axe Rory, it's the lad that's swinging it.

He would say anything he's paid to say ! Just like he was saying the Tp 5 ball goes straight in wind . Went dead straight at the US open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭blackcard

Rory really needs Stevie Wonder to start lining up his putts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

blackcard wrote: »
    Rory really needs Stevie Wonder to start lining up his putts.

Nothing to do with that - far too often he just throws his hands at the putt which causes him to open the club face and he whiffs it. He does that twice and then holds it too hard on the next one and pulls the next one.

He needs to go back to cackhanded - his stroke looked so good and he'd feckin learn distance control if he needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Maybe if he lays off the gym his putting will get better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Mcillroy has now been on the pro tour for 10 years and he is no where near the dominating force that many expected him to be, or that $100 and $200 million deals are rewarding him for being.

It shows me that it is no where near enough to be the best and most talented ball stricker on the tour, that only gets you the price of admission. He has to be a more complete golfer, and after 10 years, it's hard to see that happening now. His putter will always be his Achilles.

He could make up for being an average putter by being mind blowingly long off the tee, he was playing 9 irons for his second shot when most others were playing 6-7 irons or lower. Here's a stat, of the 156 players in the US Open last week, 142 of them averaged over 300 yards off the tee, the amateur Cameron Champ averaged 332 yards. Mcillroy's length advantage is gone. The last 7 major champions are first time winners so the field has bunched up with very little to seperate 1 through 50th in the world.

The pack has gotten better, can anyone say that Mcillroy is a better player now than in 2014 when he won his last major?

I think that unless McIllroy starts focusing more on golf, less on money, more on putting, less on media sound bites and more on the clubs that will work best for him rather than taking the greenback to sell Taylormade's, I don't think he will ever be as good for as long as we thought he would be. He's just a very, very good player, but that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

davo10 wrote: »
    Mcillroy has now been on the pro tour for 10 years and he is no where near the dominating force that many expected him to be, or that $100 and $200 million deals are rewarding him for being.

It shows me that it is no where near enough to be the best and most talented ball stricker on the tour, that only gets you the price of admission. He has to be a more complete golfer, and after 10 years, it's hard to see that happening now. His putter will always be his Achilles.

He could make up for being an average putter by being mind blowingly long off the tee, he was playing 9 irons for his second shot when most others were playing 6-7 irons or lower. Here's a stat, of the 156 players in the US Open last week, 142 of them averaged over 300 yards off the tee, the amateur Cameron Champ averaged 332 yards. Mcillroy's length advantage is gone. The last 7 major champions are first time winners so the field has bunched up with very little to seperate 1 through 50th in the world.

The pack has gotten better, can anyone say that Mcillroy is a better player now than in 2014 when he won his last major?

I think that unless McIllroy starts focusing more on golf, less on money, more on putting, less on media sound bites and more on the clubs that will work best for him rather than taking the greenback to sell Taylormade's, I don't think he will ever be as good for as long as we thought he would be. He's just a very, very good player, but that's all.
    I actually think his big failing has been his approach game. His putting has always been iffy, but his approach game was getting him close to the hole where putting was just a game of averages. And when you're within six feet of the hole you're going to get a lot of birdies.

But for the last few years, he's been leaving himself some massive putts when he's had a wedge in his hand for his second. I didn't see what happened on his 18th hole on Friday, but with 104 yards to go, he missed the green entirely. By a mile. :eek:

I'm just a duffer of the worst sort, but even I expect to hit greens from that distance. When I'm inside 50 yards, I expect to get it close enough to have a one putt. Now I know they are very fast greens and much tougher to hold, but these guys are pros and play a lot more than I do.

You just can't convert birdies from 30 feet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement