Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Halfprice wrote: »
    He's always struggled from 130y in. Some days it works fine but more often if doesn't. Look at Dustin, Butch said he has worked so hard on his short game and we have seen him reap the rewards, Rory needs to work on this part of his game and his putting, a serious amount, if he wants to compete again, he is way behind some of the others i think

I think he needs to focus on the wedge play a lot but get back to feel putting. I think he has become too technical regarding his putting recently. If he can improve his wedge play the putting should become easier too anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

red ears wrote: »
    I think he needs to focus on the wedge play a lot but get back to feel putting. I think he has become too technical regarding his putting recently. If he can improve his wedge play the putting should become easier too anyway.
    That's what I think too. If over half his birdie putts are from more than twenty feet, the conversion ratio is going to be very small. That puts more pressure on his putting and it just gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

That's what I think too. If over half his birdie putts are from more than twenty feet, the conversion ratio is going to be very small. That puts more pressure on his putting and it just gets worse.

He would be T95 for proximity to the hole from fairway at 31'6'', but T3 from the rough at 38'7'', as such he is gaining on the field from the rough and losing to the field from the fairway, with poor putting that is the main area of issue.

He would be T107 in approaches from fairway from 50-75 yards, T99 in approach from 100-125 yards and 201st in approach from 125-150 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Quintis wrote: »
    201st in approach from 125-150 yards.

Thats the big one for me. When hes hitting a full wedge hes all over the place. For other pros, a full wedge is go time!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Quintis wrote: »

He would be T107 in approaches from fairway from 50-75 yards, T99 in approach from 100-125 yards and 201st in approach from 125-150 yards.

Yeah exactly what I was thinking, just not good enough with the wedges.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Yeah exactly what I was thinking, just not good enough with the wedges.

A lot of the time, I think anyway, he struggles to control spin with his wedges, he hits a lovely shot but he has loads of spin on it and then ends up miles away from the pin because of it. It's not all the time but it's one of the things I think he needs to improve with his wedge play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Rory recons his game is close.....

Nope... no it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

HighLine wrote: »
    Rory recons his game is close.....

Nope... no it's not.

Not even close to being close...

Playing to just make the weekend already

etxp wrote: »
    A lot of the time, I think anyway, he struggles to control spin with his wedges, he hits a lovely shot but he has loads of spin on it and then ends up miles away from the pin because of it. It's not all the time but it's one of the things I think he needs to improve with his wedge play!
    I'd agree with that except I see him missing left and right as well. He might be pin high for example, but twenty or thirty feet wide of the target.

Something in his swing has gone awry for wedges and short irons. It's not just the fast greens on the PGA tour, but he was doing it at the Irish Open and I assume he's doing it again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Dont think he'll be making the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I fancy him to do well in the Open

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Ah Seve come on. You cant be going on form lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

He has only missed two cuts this season, one the US Open and the other the Irish Open. Half of his finishes have been top 10's.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he rocks up at one of the big tournaments over the next few weeks and gets a win. He's one of the best players in the world, in the very top bracket of 4 or 5 players. I won't be writing him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

I've been backing him on a weekly basis for PGA at Quail Hollow. 6 top 10's, and despite course getting redesigned, I still think it's the big one he is working up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

3putt wrote: »
    Dont think he'll be making the weekend

Playing well now and I would be expecting him to push on over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

wardides wrote: »
    I've been backing him on a weekly basis for PGA at Quail Hollow. 6 top 10's, and despite course getting redesigned, I still think it's the big one he is working up to.

Ya, you'd have to think if he's in any sort of form at all, there's nobody gets within 5 or 6 of him at Quail Hollow.

Then again, its golf...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

AGC wrote: »
    Playing well now and I would be expecting him to push on over the weekend

If he makes the weekend.
    Russman wrote: »
    Ya, you'd have to think if he's in any sort of form at all, there's nobody gets within 5 or 6 of him at Quail Hollow.

Then again, its golf...........

Fairly wishful thinking that he'll be thrashing a world class field by 5 or 6 the way he's playing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

He just cant judge shots from 120y in, he gone to a 3 quarter shot now and cant judge it where as before it was all full on, he needs to put im the serious work like Dustin did, nothing wrong with his long game but only an amateur short game looking at it today..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Maybe there's a job going at the club shop in Holywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

He just cant judge shots from 120y in, he gone to a 3 quarter shot now and cant judge it where as before it was all full on, he needs to put im the serious work like Dustin did, nothing wrong with his long game but only an amateur short game looking at it today..

Do you think he's not putting in the work? What do you think he's being doing sitting at home watching the Soprano's? The fine details at that level are very very small.. People are even given Lowry stick saying he needs to work more on his game :rolleyes:

Golf is hard! As we all know.. Even to make it onto the tour is hard, never mind completing every week.. Plus he's been injured and changed equipment.. I agree his short game is bad plus his putting.. But I have know doubt he is putting in the work..

Just remember form is temporary, Class is permanent ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

If he makes the weekend.

Fairly wishful thinking that he'll be thrashing a world class field by 5 or 6 the way he's playing these days.

Top 10 at the masters, Top 40 at Players (horrendous last day)and a rake of top 10's in all other tournments he's played apart from 2 missed cut, one at US Open. He's not playing as bad as some make out, giving the comeback from injury.

The problem is he needs to get back into playing golf without worrying about all the mechanics of the game. Which will only come by playing competitive golf. Struggle to see him out of the top 20 at PGA at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Make no mistake about it, his short game is in tatters. He genuinely has the short game of an amateur.

Make no mistake about it, his short game is in tatters. He genuinely has the short game of an amateur.
    As an amateur I take exception to that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Not watching Sorprano's, maybe to much of the boxing though :). You know what i mean about his short game, its never been his best part of his game, streaky with it. He said it himself that he needs to work harder on it, and its plain as day to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Panrich

Does he have Butch's number, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

As an amateur I take exception to that. ;)

As would I, the way his short game is at the moment. Even last week he had a few simple up and downs from the fringe and he left the chip 15 foot short. As an amateur you'd be dissapointed with that but the likes of him it's piss easy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

What's the story with players and their coaches?

Is it a faux pas to have a coach for the long game and one for the short game?

Butch seemed to work with guys with great short games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

ligerdub wrote:

If I had Butch rabbiting on in my ear the way he goes on I'd learn to get it in the hole ASAP too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

ligerdub wrote: »
    What's the story with players and their coaches?

Is it a faux pas to have a coach for the long game and one for the short game?

Not sure what the story is with coaches but I was surprised to hear a Euro pro tour player (Matt Wallace) say he has switched coaches and is now being coached by Robert Rock, I didn't know Rock was a coach for starters but a bit strange that he's coaching while being a pro himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Podge_H

Not sure what the story is with coaches but I was surprised to hear a Euro pro tour player (Matt Wallace) say he has switched coaches and is now being coached by Robert Rock, I didn't know Rock was a coach for starters but a bit strange that he's coaching while being a pro himself.

Would love to see a playoff. "Don't hit your normal hook"...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement